National Geographic "explorers" Reviews | Glassdoor

Create your profile to get personalized information

National Geographic Employee Reviews about "explorers"

Updated Feb 8, 2018

3.5
National Geographic President and CEO 	Gary E. Knell  (no image)
Gary E. Knell
Pros
  • "Plus there are always interesting events hosted by NGS explorers(in 25 reviews)

• "Latest movies that employees can invite friends and family to, fun group activities, great work life balance(in 21 reviews)

Cons
  • "low pay, hard to get promotions and lots of lay offs(in 12 reviews)

• "Non-profit: upward mobility a challenge(in 9 reviews)

Reviews about "explorers"

Return to all Reviews
  1. "Great challenging experience"

Former Intern - Digital News in Washington, DC

I worked at National Geographic for less than a year

Pros

Excellent place to develop newswriting skills by working under seasoned pros. Great opportunities for exposure, given the Society's global reach. Plus there are always interesting events hosted by NGS explorers.

Cons

Some of National Geographic's digital coverage tends towards the cutesy.

National Geographic2017-02-23

"awesome summer internship experience, highly recommend"

Former Intern - M&E Intern in Washington, DC

I worked at National Geographic

Pros

-absolutely inspirational events -great office space and location in D.C. -internship occurs during annual "Explorers Festival" where you can meet some of National Geographic's most accomplished scientists, journalists, photographers, etc.

Cons

-pay could be better -limited working hours

National Geographic2018-02-08

"Huge Gaps Between Levels, still an old boys club"

Former Employee - Manager in Washington, DC

I worked at National Geographic full-time for more than a year

Pros

Getting to meet celebrities and nerd out over famous explorers was awesome

Cons

management has no idea what direction they want to go in and changes their mind daily. Nothing gets done because every idea has 10 meetings before moving to the next planning level. Lower level employees are under-utilized and under appreciated, which makes them lazy and toxic. There is no room for creativity, gotta keep the status quo.

Advice to Management

Higher the best fit candidate for the job, not the seemingly most qualified. Listen to your staff, like REALLY listen. Appreciate ideas that are not your own.

National Geographic2017-12-15

"Rose colored glasses"

Former Employee - Director in Washington, DC

I worked at National Geographic full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

You'll come across very interesting and talented photographers and explorers. Some of your colleagues will be nice people and work hard... and it looks great on a resume (for now)

Cons

... but, mostly, employees are not given authority to actually do their jobs. There are skirmishes at the top all the time, as overpaid (Knell makes $1.6M last I checked, and that doesn't include any board compensation or bonuses from the for-profit side) and under qualified executives fight for turf, which leaves the organization in a constant state of "strategic planning". And, they're so afraid of their irrelevancy being revealed that there is no room for anyone underneath them who is even remotely talented to grow. Moral is extremely low across departments and has been for years.

Advice to Management

Resign -- if you want the company to succeed, make room for people who know what they're doing.

National Geographic2017-09-12

"Big changes ongoing, not sure if for the better since 21st Century Fox took over"

I worked at National Geographic full-time

Pros

The collaborative work environment is great. I've never worked anywhere with as many intelligent co-workers who almost always seem willing to help with an issue or share knowledge. Management was never heavy-handed, so working from home due to inclement weather or commuting issues was never a problem so long as work was completed. I'm not sure about higher-ups who came from Fox, but if you work under a former National Geographic Society supervisor, that person will likely have a flexible and collaborative management style. You're free to pick up your laptop and hole up where you felt most productive, whether that's in a quiet room, in the courtyard, or in a nook in the library. The museum exhibitions, visiting Explorers symposiums, and parties are always a fantastic way to blow off steam and get excited about the work Nat Geo does. The benefits are generous, including a small sum added to your paycheck once a month as a reward for tracking ride-sharing miles.

Cons

The workload was often exceedingly heavy. At the time I was laid off, there were many, many contracted workers, I assume to cut costs. Promotions for upper management and finding executive positions for Fox insiders seemed to be a priority. Layoffs are ongoing, so I assume Nat Geo Partners is still trying to turn the company into whatever Fox wants it to be. Not long after a major rebranding effort kicked off, I (and everyone else) received an awesome swag box that included a Moleskin journal, a metal water bottle, a phone charger, and business cards all bearing the new, improved logo ... and I and many of my colleagues were laid off a month later. So here's my advice to prospective Nat Geo Partners employees: Expect the unexpected.

National Geographic2017-07-11

"Overall Good Experience but Disappointing Ending"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

I worked at National Geographic full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Interesting and dedicated people, various events that staff can attend and very generous benefits are the highlights of working at NGS. I've have met famous photographers, explorers and various other people. When I first started working at NG, it truly was a family like culture -- literally because a lot of the staff either were related or knew someone who already worked there -- not so much the case now. I have made life long friends while at NG and for that reason alone, I will never regret working there.

Cons

The constant reorganization within a department and/or the entire company. Reorganizations would happen where some staff would get promoted and/or different job duties while others did not. From where I started at NGS to where I ended, I had to fight tooth and nail for each promotion so it was disconcerting when some received second chances or handed opportunities. Various VP's were brought in due to change in direction in the company which would lead to another reorganization. More often than not, either people were let go and/or were offered buyouts. The mother of all reorganizations was when NG was split into two separate organizations: NG Society and NG Partners (Fox) due to this split, my job -- and many others -- were eliminated, and some were offered buyouts. Being laid off was a shock and disappointing because otherwise, I probably would have retired from NGS. But the silver lining is now I can further pursue my career goals.

National Geographic2017-01-06

"not worth it"

Former Employee - Graphic Designer in Washington, DC

I worked at National Geographic full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

During my time there my coworkers were extremely talented and wonderful people. The type of work is often interesting, and the proximity to explorers and the work they do is a great perk. Cool mission.

Cons

Despite the perks, it ultimately isn't worth it. There is never money for resources for actual projects or to hire for an expanding workload, but apparently, a few million a year in bonuses for upper level management is no problem. Executives hand down asinine ideas and set impossible goals, then pass the blame to their underlings when these plans inevitably fail. Of course, when something works well it's all thanks to management, and not the team that pulled it off. They work their employees to the bone for pay way below industry average, rarely promote anyone, and then expect you to thank them for the pleasure. I started as an assistant but was quickly put in charge of projects way above my pay grade and working 60 hour weeks to keep up. They attempted to avoid paying me overtime (I was hourly at the time) until I threatened legal action. If you dare to ask for an appropriate raise or title change, you will be told that someone else would gladly take your place. Most levels of management are willfully untruthful. Following the announcement that we were being bought by Fox, employees were given hardly any information about what would happen. An division head assured our group that our jobs would be safe; two weeks later 10% of our group was cut.

Advice to Management

Stop looking out for your own interests and appreciate the contributions of your employees. Also about half of you are irrelevant and don't actually do anything productive or meaningful for the company.

National Geographic2016-11-04

"NG Partners"

I have been working at National Geographic

Pros

Great people, great mission. The connection to explorers and photographers is unlike that of any other organization on the planet. Benefits are pretty good.

Cons

The 21st Century Fox acquisition of the media properties has been beyond bumpy. More with less attitude of senior mgmt has been disheartening to lower level employees who have long been at max capacity. Systems integration and reorgs that don't appear thought out are discouraging.

National Geographic2016-08-12

"Producer Editor"

Current Employee - Video Producer in Washington, DC

I have been working at National Geographic full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Great people, inspiring content about science, exploration, animals and conservation. Always things going on on campus - museum, lectures, screenings, events. Solid cafeteria, too, which is convenient and affordable.

Cons

Men seem to get more opportunities than women, most people are underpaid and overworked. very difficult to get a promotion or raise. Benefits not as great as they were back in the day (no paid maternity leave, pension, nor health insurance for long-term contractors, vacation time based on years of service but it is only cumulative if there was less than a year gap in between contracts)

National Geographic2016-04-27

"Production Coordinator"

I worked at National Geographic full-time

Pros

Good benefits, friendly environment, an opportunity to meet explorers and adventurers.

Cons

Internal restructures are not uncommon. Line of approval for any type of document is way too long, which delays the process of getting things done on time.

National Geographic2016-04-17