National Geospatial-Intelligence Agency Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated December 1, 2018

National Geospatial-Intelligence Agency Director Robert Cardillo
Robert Cardillo

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "They offer many programs that help with work-life balance and integration into the organization" (in 17 reviews)

• "Great mission and generally terrific people at the working level" (in 11 reviews)

Cons
  • "Career Services are operational but have a long way to go to be highly effective and consistent" (in 9 reviews)

• "Mission talent Alignment is designed to ensure employees are controlled vice developed professionally" (in 5 reviews)

"Dream career!"

Current Employee - Director in Springfield, VA
    Current Employee - Director in Springfield, VA

I have been working at National Geospatial-Intelligence Agency full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

I get to serve something greater than myself.

Cons

Tough work — complicated world.

Advice to Management

Keep pushing us to the future that we must achieve.

2. "Great job for those that get they job they want"

Current Employee - Program Manager in Saint Louis, MO
    Current Employee - Program Manager in Saint Louis, MO

I have been working at National Geospatial-Intelligence Agency full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

NGA offers great job stability. I started my career with NGA as an intern, and was converted non-competitively to full-time upon my graduation. The benefits are as good as what any federal agency has to offer. The mission very important, and will give most employees a sense of fulfillment.

Cons

NGA offers little room for career movement or change (I am speaking to this as a converted intern). While NGA's Career Services makes good effort to ensure employees can develop new skills, it offers little assistance to those whose degrees misalign with their work role and Career Service--particularly those assigned during their internship. NGA assigns employees to different Career Services. Under the Career Service framework, new hires are enrolled in the Career Advancement Program (CAP), where employees are tasked with different milestones. The program is designed so that employees will develop proficiency in their work role, so that they will be able to work effectively and independently in the future. In my case however, I was assigned to a Career Service that was not aligned to my education background or career ambition. While Career Service/Student Programs understands this, they made little effort to place me in the correct Career Service. Now, I am developing skills in the career I do not want to pursue. While I agreed to convert as an employee believing that this misplacement will be corrected, I am fearful that I will be pigeonholed into my assigned career path. I am actively seeking new employment elsewhere.

Advice to Management

Fix Student Programs and Career Service. Student Programs should consult with interns on the type of career the intern would like to pursue. Career Service should be more flexible in allowing employees--especially new hires--to pursue their own career path.

3. "Good Organization"

I have been working at National Geospatial-Intelligence Agency full-time

Pros

I like the Work-Life balance

Cons

It's the Federal government. What more can you say

4. "Federal government employment is great, yet restrictive."

Current Employee - Branch Chief in Fairfax Station, VA
    Current Employee - Branch Chief in Fairfax Station, VA

Pros

Work life balance, stability, great pay, looks good on a resume, can be very impactful to national security efforts.

Cons

Motivated hard chargers can burn out due to beurocratic minutia, lots of dead weight in government sector and they get raises too, inability to maximize earning potential, career services is terrible, redundant and wasteful capabilities and efforts happening due to stovepipes and poor communication across the enterprise.

Advice to Management

See things through, talk to your counterparts, optimize all capabilities rather than funding more to be developed. Don’t buy content more than once. Make it easier to transition poor performer out and less cumbersome for supervisors.

5. "Some toxic environments, check first with current employees in that area before accepting employment"

Former Employee - Research Physical Scientist in Springfield, VA
    Former Employee - Research Physical Scientist in Springfield, VA

I worked at National Geospatial-Intelligence Agency full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Decent pay and benefits, standard with other DOD jobs

Cons

Too much top senior management inadequacy, especially when dealing with research.

Advice to Management

Use your GS15s better, be more open minded, work with the entire agency better with less tunnel vision and quit rewarding “empire environment” protectors

6. "Maritime analyst"

I have been working at National Geospatial-Intelligence Agency full-time

Pros

Good life balance and training if you can get approval

Cons

Bureaucracy and poor supervisior support

Advice to Management

Higher salary to match experience and civilian sector

"All right if you like being pigeonholed"

Former Employee - Analyst in Springfield, VA
    Former Employee - Analyst in Springfield, VA

Pros

It's a decent place to work. Benefits are top notch naturally. Pay is good if you're in the DC area.

Cons

Not an ideal place for women looking to advance. You're likely to be passed over for men. If you're of childbearing years....forget about it. You'll never see a promotion. Sexism runs pretty rampant in the agency. If you have health problems, get ready to have issues and justifications from doctors. Otherwise, you're lying. Yes...lying about a life threatening illness. Because the average person will lie about that. Management is top heavy filled with people who won't retire and leave a $200k salary. Oh, and the dirtbags...they get promoted. Promote to get out. Then they'll be someone else's problem. Underperformers, nothing said. Just consider it lucky they showed up to work. And yes, they will be the ones promoted before you so they can be someone else's problem.

Advice to Management

Learn to manage people. Good analysts are lost because they get tired of stuff rolling downhill and being blamed for things. Reward people for exceptional performance....even just an acknowledgement is good. Don't take the glory for yourself. You didn't do the work, so don't take the credit from an analyst who busted their hump to get it done. Don't put their work on your resume to get your promotion. Also, learn to deal with the underperforming dirtbags. Actually handle them. It worsens team morale when everyone is doing their and the underperformer's work. Actually do something about it.

"Used to be much better"

I have been working at National Geospatial-Intelligence Agency full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

The benefits are pretty good. The Agency used to stand out for having a really good tuition reimbursement program for advanced training but it now lags behind most companies (mostly due to changes in polices and a dysfunctional office running the tuition reimbursement program).

Cons

- Serious issues with sexual harassment from the top down
    - The Agency promotes a-holes at a faster rate than people who have respect for other employees (respect is one of our core values)
    - Pervasive bias issues (all the way around, black vs. white, white vs. black, and everything in between)
    - A rank in person structure that doesn't work and discourages good employees from seeking higher positions in the Agency

Advice to Management

When someone sexually harasses another employee, do something about it; if leaders at the executive level are sleeping with subordinates, don't look the other way; start valuing effectiveness again instead of putting so much emphasis on creative new ideas that aren't effective.

9. "Professional"

Former Employee - Geospatial Analyst in Springfield, VA
    Former Employee - Geospatial Analyst in Springfield, VA

I worked at National Geospatial-Intelligence Agency full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The campus is new and the people that work there hold their work to the highest standards.

Cons

Some of the employees tend to keep to themselves.

Advice to Management

Management do the best job that they can given the tools and the people that they have available to them.

"Was Great...Not True Anymore"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Springfield, VA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Springfield, VA

Pros

Stability of Government employment can't be beat. Benefits are good. Great mission and generally terrific people at the working level. Great facility in the DC area, lots of good food options and good gym.

Cons

Highly political environment with rampant unprofessional behavior at the highest levels of management. Nepotism and "good ole boy" network is as active as ever. Poor performance and unprofessional behavior simply overlooked or transferred to become someone else's problem. Rumor spreading is at an all-time high with no end in sight as management continues to simply brush it all off and give the typical political speeches and responses to the various happenings.