National Government Services Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

3.5
Sandra Miller

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Work from home available for most full time employees (in 15 reviews)

• Great benefits - as a subsidiary of Anthem all the perks and benefits Anthem associates receive are passed along to NGS associates (in 9 reviews)

Cons
  • We've tried to explain to upper management how stressful it's become and they made it clear they won't change it back (in 7 reviews)

• No regard or understanding of what is involved or work life balance (in 4 reviews)

"Pretty decent benefits"

Former Employee - Provider Service Representative in Harrisburg, PA
    Former Employee - Provider Service Representative in Harrisburg, PA

I worked at National Government Services full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The benefits package and the yearly bonuses were good.

Cons

Nepotism and favoritism when trying to move up in the company. It's very hard you can try to fix your stats and do everything that is asked plus some and not move up.

2. "Leadership"

Current Employee - Senior Technical Program Manager in Indianapolis, IN
    Current Employee - Senior Technical Program Manager in Indianapolis, IN

I have been working at National Government Services full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I work for a very strong Leadership in the organization

Cons

it is hard to break into the elite group but I was able to by doing my job at the highest level possible. They do have a good old boy system that is not good for the morale of other associates

Advice to Management

Be open and look for the talent that is sitting right under your nose instead of just hoping for the best.

3. "Not For Me"

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative

I worked at National Government Services full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great atmosphere, good people, work was challenging

Cons

Pay decrease after the procurement department made a mistake with pay rate
    The company was not organized with the understanding of what the contract really needed to honor it honestly

Advice to Management

Listen more to your employees with the insight they have of the work that is being done

4. "Good company for full time employees."

Current Employee - Solutions Engineer/Senior Advisor in Indianapolis, IN
    Current Employee - Solutions Engineer/Senior Advisor in Indianapolis, IN

I have been working at National Government Services full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Work from home available for most full time employees.
    Direct managers work with their team very well.
    Management gets rid of consultants before getting rid of full time employees.

Cons

If a government contract ends, many people lose their jobs. Contractors go first.

5. "Accounting specialist"

I have been working at National Government Services full-time

Pros

Good company, decent pay, good benefits

Cons

No cons as of this time

6. "Run away."

I have been working at National Government Services full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Pay is decent, that's about it. There's really not a lot of pros for working at NGS. All of the good things have been taken away.

Cons

You'll hate your life. Management and leadership, and in particular the new leadership after the President was let go, is completely inept. Leadership by this new team from Maine is appallingly bad. They pay lip service to leadership principles and spend the rest of the time sitting in their high tower "leading aka driving this company into the ground" from behind a curtain. Completely mismanaged, shirt sighted and continuous bad decisions being made. There are a few people in particular who have really taken this company down, look hard - you'll see who it is!

No recognition is given for associates that work hard and they say they want to have "new blood" and "new ideas" to transform the company, and then turn back to the same aging mentality and old people to make the same decisions that never win us contracts. When will you get a clue, having the 50-60 year olds with no clue about the modern world writing bids is not getting us anywhere. How about you take any one of us 100 people who have asked to work on new bids up on the offer. Oh that's right, we're not from Maine or spending 95% of our time kissing your butts, so we don't matter. Maybe when we've lost everything you'll understand that your old "go-to" crowd for every decision and idea has led you astray. Get with the new century!

Advice to Management

Get rid of the B team idiots from Maine and let this company shine again! They have no idea how to lead, just bluster and showboating. Sickening.

7. "great company to work for!"

Current Employee - Proposal Coordinator in Indianapolis, IN
    Current Employee - Proposal Coordinator in Indianapolis, IN

Pros

good company values, benefits, opportunities for growth

Cons

none that I can think of

8. "My co-workers and my immediate manager are awesome."

Current Employee - Grievance and Appeals Specialist
    Current Employee - Grievance and Appeals Specialist

Pros

One of the better paying jobs in our area. The people you work with are extremely knowledgeable and helpful. Lots of room to advance.

Cons

A new system for calculating production was put in place about a year ago and it's become almost impossible to meet. People are skipping breaks and lunches to try to meet it and stress levels are through the roof. We've tried to explain to upper management how stressful it's become and they made it clear they won't change it back. If we don't like it, we should move on.

Advice to Management

Do our job for a month-then tell us you think the new production standards are reasonable.

9. "I/T Operations Manager"

Former Employee - Manager of Enterprise Operations Center in Baltimore, MD
    Former Employee - Manager of Enterprise Operations Center in Baltimore, MD

I worked at National Government Services full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good opportunity to grow my I/T Career in I/T Management as well as diversify my experience.

Cons

Just recently went through a de-scope of part of our Government contract, so employment ended on April 7th with NGS.

Advice to Management

I am eager to get back into the work force as soon as possible, to remain active and on top of latest I/T technology and practices.

"Grateful for the opportunity to grow with NGS but not a company I would recommend"

Current Employee - Administrative Services Manager in Indianapolis, IN
    Current Employee - Administrative Services Manager in Indianapolis, IN

I have been working at National Government Services (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great benefits - as a subsidiary of Anthem all the perks and benefits Anthem associates receive are passed along to NGS associates. I am super grateful for the experience as I had very limited managerial experience when I started and now have 5 plus years of supervisory experiences and operations management.

Salaries seemed high given most managers did not possess any type of Bachelor's or Master's degrees. I started out making a pretty amazing salary and then was promoted within a year and a half and received an increase of 20%.

I had four bosses in four years. The first three were amazing and really demonstrated the caring, trustworthy and easy to do business with values promoted by the organization. However, my time wasn't intended to last and the last supervisor I had forever changed my perception of the organization. I was shown a cold, corporate and callous side of the organization that previously went unnoticed.

It was a really difficult period of time to report to a boss I couldn't trust or respect. There are some pretty amazing people that work for the organization. Most of the individuals I worked with closely were kind, caring, hard-working, accountable, professional and ethical individuals.

Cons

Processes are complex and while moving towards standardization, they are far from being streamlined in a way that enhances and encourages accuracy and efficiency.

It took years to make innovative improvements.

Advice to Management

Say thank you. Appreciate the hard work shown by your team and recognize that when you receive recognition personally for something your managers and their teams worked hard to accomplish, that the credit deserves to be reflected back on those who did the actual hard work.

Focus on what is positive and good and provide feedback regularly.

Offer resources and supports (employee assistance program, HR, conflict resolution) if you see someone struggling, especially if the report directly to you.

Smile. Be kind.