National Government Services Reviews | Glassdoor

National Government Services Reviews

Updated Oct 2, 2019

2.9
National Government Services CEO Sandra Miller (no image)
Sandra Miller

"Run away."

I have been working at National Government Services full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Pay is decent, that's about it. There's really not a lot of pros for working at NGS. All of the good things have been taken away.

Cons

You'll hate your life. Management and leadership, and in particular the new leadership after the President was let go, is completely inept. Leadership by this new team from Maine is appallingly bad. They pay lip service to leadership principles and spend the rest of the time sitting in their high tower "leading aka driving this company into the ground" from behind a curtain. Completely mismanaged, shirt sighted and... continuous bad decisions being made. There are a few people in particular who have really taken this company down, look hard - you'll see who it is! No recognition is given for associates that work hard and they say they want to have "new blood" and "new ideas" to transform the company, and then turn back to the same aging mentality and old people to make the same decisions that never win us contracts. When will you get a clue, having the 50-60 year olds with no clue about the modern world writing bids is not getting us anywhere. How about you take any one of us 100 people who have asked to work on new bids up on the offer. Oh that's right, we're not from Maine or spending 95% of our time kissing your butts, so we don't matter. Maybe when we've lost everything you'll understand that your old "go-to" crowd for every decision and idea has led you astray. Get with the new century!

Advice to Management

Get rid of the B team idiots from Maine and let this company shine again! They have no idea how to lead, just bluster and showboating. Sickening.

National Government Services2017-05-17
  2. "My co-workers and my immediate manager are awesome."

Current Employee - Grievance and Appeals Specialist

I have been working at National Government Services full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

One of the better paying jobs in our area. The people you work with are extremely knowledgeable and helpful. Lots of room to advance.

Cons

A new system for calculating production was put in place about a year ago and it's become almost impossible to meet. People are skipping breaks and lunches to try to meet it and stress levels are through the roof. We've tried to explain to upper management how stressful it's become and they made it clear they won't change it back. If we don't like it, we should move on.

Advice to Management

Do our job for a month-then tell us you think the new production standards are reasonable.

National Government Services2017-05-02
  3. "great company to work for!"

Current Employee - Proposal Coordinator in Indianapolis, IN

Pros

good company values, benefits, opportunities for growth

Cons

none that I can think of

National Government Services2017-04-21
  4. "I/T Operations Manager"

Former Employee - Manager of Enterprise Operations Center in Baltimore, MD

I worked at National Government Services full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Good opportunity to grow my I/T Career in I/T Management as well as diversify my experience.

Cons

Just recently went through a de-scope of part of our Government contract, so employment ended on April 7th with NGS.

Advice to Management

I am eager to get back into the work force as soon as possible, to remain active and on top of latest I/T technology and practices.

National Government Services2017-04-12
  5. "Accounting Associate Temp Review"

I worked at National Government Services full-time

Pros

Fun place to work, Nice people, Good Training.

Cons

Logging your time was not the easiest thing to do, had to log everything you worked on.

National Government Services2017-03-29

"Grateful for the opportunity to grow with NGS but not a company I would recommend"

Administrative Services Manager in Indianapolis, IN

I have been working at National Government Services for more than 5 years

Pros

Great benefits - as a subsidiary of Anthem all the perks and benefits Anthem associates receive are passed along to NGS associates. I am super grateful for the experience as I had very limited managerial experience when I started and now have 5 plus years of supervisory experiences and operations management. Salaries seemed high given most managers did not possess any type of Bachelor's or Master's degrees. I... started out making a pretty amazing salary and then was promoted within a year and a half and received an increase of 20%. I had four bosses in four years. The first three were amazing and really demonstrated the caring, trustworthy and easy to do business with values promoted by the organization. However, my time wasn't intended to last and the last supervisor I had forever changed my perception of the organization. I was shown a cold, corporate and callous side of the organization that previously went unnoticed. It was a really difficult period of time to report to a boss I couldn't trust or respect. There are some pretty amazing people that work for the organization. Most of the individuals I worked with closely were kind, caring, hard-working, accountable, professional and ethical individuals.

Cons

Processes are complex and while moving towards standardization, they are far from being streamlined in a way that enhances and encourages accuracy and efficiency. It took years to make innovative improvements.

Advice to Management

Say thank you. Appreciate the hard work shown by your team and recognize that when you receive recognition personally for something your managers and their teams worked hard to accomplish, that the credit deserves to be reflected back on those who did the actual hard work. Focus on what is positive and good and provide feedback regularly. Offer resources and supports (employee assistance program, HR,... conflict resolution) if you see someone struggling, especially if the report directly to you. Smile. Be kind.

National Government Services2017-03-23
  7. "call center claims"

I worked at National Government Services full-time

Pros

people are okay there decent sized desk

Cons

micro managed benefits sucked pay crappy hard to move up raises sucked

Advice to Management

to stop micro managing

National Government Services2017-03-30

"Guidance for new managers is limited"

Current Employee - Operations Manager in Indianapolis, IN

Pros

Great benefits package, excellent compensation, an annual incentive program, 401k with up to 4% match from employer, great people. There is also the chance for growth in a managerial role but only if one is very resourceful and can figure out complex things without much support from their direct supervisor.

Cons

As a Medicare Contractor, NGS is held to extremely high and unreasonable expectations including many 100% standards for manual processes. This, coupled with the nature of contract work (i.e. contracts are won but contracts are also lost) make the environment stressful, competitive and the upholding of unrealistic standards. Due to contract losses there can often be downsizing which is frustrating to those left... behind as more work is expected with minimal resources. New manager training is completely absent and support for new managers is exceptionally lacking. Basically, a new manager is hired and that is the extent of the resources offered in support of success.

Advice to Management

Focus on what is good and right and realize people are doing the manual work. Even if there is a 100% metric expected, realize people make mistakes. Be caring and kind and helpful when people are struggling. If and when a direct report is having a tough time, ask what you can do to help and provide them with essential resources to succeed. Say thank you and good job when warranted. Provide positive feedback and... remember that a business is only as strong as the people working for the business. Show people you care.

National Government Services2017-02-23
  9. "Overall very positive"

Current Employee - Software Test Engineer in Avon, IN

I have been working at National Government Services full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Great flexibility and leadership , love the work from home policy, ample ability to try and learn new things. Training available

Cons

Government work so it's not cutting edge, very process oriented, sometimes it can be good but too much is never good.

Advice to Management

Keep it up!

National Government Services2017-02-02
  10. "utilization review nurse"

Current Employee - Utilzatio Review Nurse in Harrisburg, PA

Pros

Work from home. Flexible schedule

Cons

Poor training by email only

Advice to Management

Emails do not adequately train people. At least allow phone in meetings for group discussions.

National Government Services2017-02-01