National Governors Association Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated February 18, 2019

1.9
Scott Pattison

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Excellent place to work and thrive!"

I have been working at National Governors Association full-time

Pros

The work is excellent and the people are so friendly.

Cons

Pay
    Lack of communication
    People take projects without thinking long term.

National Governors Association Response

Jul 16, 2018 – Director, Human Resources

Thank you for your compliments on NGA’s work and staff. Earlier this year we implemented a new compensation structure with established salary bands. The ranges for the bands are reviewed annually... More

"Never Worked Somewhere that Values Retention Less"

I have been working at National Governors Association full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great, intelligent coworkers, awesome opportunities to connect on key issue across states, great networking tool.

Cons

Senior leadership, including the CEO, have shown no interest in retaining top talent. They recently cut staff vacation and sick time in half without any advance notice, informing staff with chronic medical issues that telework is a fair substitute for sick days, and that staff can always go on short-term disability. They have not listened to staff concerns about this policy, moving forward with the roll-out and acting as if this move somehow helps staff, in a classic display of narcissism. This is on top of low pay, unorganized leadership, and a lack of financial oversight, which is leaving staff upset and with one foot out the door.

Advice to Management

Stop bulldozing your staff. You have top talent who want to do good work, but they feel disrespected.

"Squandered potential"

I worked at National Governors Association full-time

Pros

Passionate staff, opportunity to work on fulfilling projects for a group with a noble/respectable mission.

Cons

As a former employee of what was once an esteemed organization, it's very disheartening to see the increasing amount of negative reviews (along with the obviously false or planted ones) for this place I once cared so deeply about.

While there, I had the privilege of working with some of the most passionate and dedicated people I've ever worked with, both within the organization and in state government. I always said NGA had such awesome potential, but now it seems obvious in talking to those who have stayed that potential has been squandered by the incompetent and unethical management.

Advice to Management

I sincerely hope the C-suite managers heed the requests from the many employees who have left reviews and treat them with the respect they deserve. You have already run the risk of irreparably damaging the reputation of a top-notch institution for no conceivable reason.

"Good look on your resume, but beware!"

Pros

-NGA has a good name all around and will look positive on your resume
    -Great for working in policy and directly with states
    -Good for building skills in writing, meeting facilitation, and project management

Cons

-The benefits are terrible. They just laid out a new policy where they basically cut our leave in half and took away our sick leave. Many people have voiced concern over this but they don't seem to really care.
    -Very little maternity leave/parental benefits. Now they laid out a new policy to even have one but before they never even had that.
    -Upper management doesn't listen and doesn't seem to care
    -Very difficult to get a raise or promotion here. Basically if you are at a senior policy analyst level, the next level is a project director and you need to be super luck to be promoted. Otherwise you will be sitting at this position for YEARS.
    -Did I already mention the terrible benefits?

Advice to Management

-I honestly have no idea how they expect to retain employees if they keep at this. Literally 5 people just left and I know more are talking about it. I'm only here to build my resume and then I'll be out as well. There is no growth. There are little benefits. Upper management doesn't care.

"Cutting costs at detriment to employees"

Current Employee - Senior Policy Analyst in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Senior Policy Analyst in Washington, DC

I have been working at National Governors Association full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The Center's staff is full of passionate, driven employees who care strongly about the policy areas they work in and making a difference in states. There have been great opportunities for me to grow and contribute to the field. Good opportunities for publication and public speaking.

Cons

The current administration has been taking the past couple of years to reevaluate its benefits and performance management system. What that meant the last couple of years was essentially a freeze in promotions/raises, and lack of recognition of hard work. Just this month the updated benefits package was released and they announced that they were eliminating sick leave, reducing PTO accrual rates for everyone (I lost over a week per year), AND capping the # of PTO hours you can move over across years. It is an embarrassment for an organization that touts best workforce and health practices across the States. It also does not bode well for the viability of the organization if such significant changes must be made to keep it afloat. I still recommend working here, but be aware that they can make sudden changes to your benefits without any warning. And they are definitely taking a turn for the worse currently.

Advice to Management

Recognize that the most valuable asset to the association is its people. Treat them with the respect that they deserve and they will perform well.

"The reviews lately are not lying"

Former Employee - Technology Specialist in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Technology Specialist in Washington, DC

I worked at National Governors Association full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The people that are not in upper management.

Cons

Upper Management, CEO, lack of pay, lack of promotions, lack of communication, lack of trust in employees, not as diverse as what they advertise.

Advice to Management

Instead of trying to make NGA a "worldwide name", how about get the employees that give so much for the company a reason to want to work there? The time I was there was ok. I was there for 3 years and saw a department go from 6 people on the team to 1. In that time, not 1 bonus, not 1 promotion for me, not 1 pay increase. I had numerous conversations about those topics and was constantly asked "what title do you want?" then after giving the answer, it never happened. I realized they could have given money cause it was offered when I told them I was leaving. To me thats a slap in the face. The weeks following my departure, they post a position that would be in management over the department I just left and was fighting to be promoted to. Its one thing to not be worthy of a promotion cause you are not ready career wise. But it is another to do ALL the work of the position that is higher that yours and not be thought of for that role. Upper management does not care about who they hurt long as they get what they want. I wish I had a dime for every time they said "just do it, I really dont care about the other stuff". The reviews that you see on here are very true. Its a trend that they dont care to fix.

There will continue to be a high turnover within the company until someone in upper management stands up and says that there is something wrong with how things are being run at NGA. I wouldnt expect anyone to do that cause they are all doing the thought of, and I quote someone in senior management, "do what makes Scott happy" vs doing what is right for the company.

"Reviews Say It All"

Current Employee - Analyst in Washington, DC

Pros

Wonderful working level staff.
    States are where analysis can effect policy.

Cons

CEO and top management--just read all those negative reviews.
    Governors don't care to know what is really going on at NGA

Advice to Management

Just read all the negative reviews. Notice how many helpful votes and defensive management responses those negative reviews receive. Also, notice the few positive reviews with little or no helpful votes. NGA management pays close attention to its image. Anybody thinking of applying to NGA should trust the overwhelming negative reviews and question everything else. The negative reviews match my experience. I wish I had looked at Glassdoor and read those negative reviews before deciding to come to NGA. I regret it and looking to leave ASAP. I will look at Glassdoor before I make any such future employment decisions. The way the CEO and top management just cut benefits and have negatively affected compensation is really unfair to such good staff.

"The CEO has got to GO!!!!"

Current Employee - Analyst in Washington, DC

I have been working at National Governors Association full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Competitive Salaries
    Great Health Benefits
    Company Name is a great resume booster

Cons

The CEO; Scott Pattison is a complete jerk. He is extremely condenscending, an absolute phony and very two-faced. A lot of the staff walk around on eggshells because they are afraid to say or do anything that might bruise his delicate ego and in turn cost them their job. He plays favorites with those willing to kiss up to him and goes out of his way to make things unnecessarily difficult for those he disapproves of for one reason or another. The general consensus among the staff is that NGA would be a better organization without him.

Advice to Management

Get rid of Scott. Ge is terrble for staff morale and the overall image of NGA.

Recognize your key players and work hard at retaining and awarding them justly.

"Oblivious Leadership Dragging NGA Down, Massive Turnover"

Pros

-Ability to work on important issues and with policy makers across the country.
    -Great division directors at the Center for Best Practices who are true superstars in their fields.

Cons

-The leadership rolled out a new "leave policy" with no notice, merging vacation and sick leave into one pot of PTO...but then cut the total we each get, and doesn't see this as a negative and has denied there is dissatisfaction.
    - There has been no financial management system in place for over a year, which has allowed improper spending to occur and the inability of project and grant managers to know how much money has been spent or is available.
    -The CEO and senior leadership are oblivious to how low the morale is, and seem to be more interested in promoting the CEO's image and traveling the world (but we need to cut staff leave in half to save money).
    -NGA is very top heavy, with massive turnover, and senior leadership don't seem to actually do anything to attempt to improve the problems; some senior leadership behave wildly inappropriately during meetings and are an embarrassment to the NGA name.
    -The Association is overseen by governors, who have no way of knowing how terrible the situation is.
    -The attitude is so negative, it is rare to find someone not actively applying for jobs.

Advice to Management

Is your intent to force staff turnover? Because that is what you are getting. NGA has amazing talent that want to do good for this country and the nation's governors, yet management hamper that every step of the way. Management will respond that we can bring our concerns to them...as at will employees, no one trusts that response.

"Good Work but Bad Management"

Pros

State work: if I could just do this and eliminate all of the problems in the office I would love this job.
    Still some good people left to learn from.
    The name still matters, NGA will open doors based on the name alone.

Cons

Most of the strongest employees are either leaving or attempting to get out. I am stuck between loving the work I do with states and hating the management of the organization. Literally every single top director is incompetent at best. NGA should do a case study on themselves: what happens when an organization hires a CEO that has zero leadership skills then surrounds himself with inexperienced yes men and women.

A new CEO would probably give NGA a chance to turn things around before every single strong employee is gone (those surviving and thriving are best at undercutting colleagues to make themselves look good). Sadly the board is governors who have a lot more important things to worry about than if their membership organization has a strong internal leader.

Advice to Management

Resign. You aren't helping and although most of you are in positions much higher than you could find anywhere else you are continuing to lose all professional credibility.

National Governors Association Response

Jul 31, 2018 – Director, Human Resources

At NGA we hire subject matter experts with diverse backgrounds and experience levels. Metrics are collected on our talent, and our findings are not consistent with your post. Our turnover rates... More