National Grid (UK) Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-time Part-time

Rating Trends Rating Trends
John Pettigrew

Pros
Cons
  • Poor management, mates of mates get on, poor employees rewarded with VR and payoff (in 6 reviews)

• red tape and decisions made by committees (in 6 reviews)

"Administrative Assistant"

Current Employee - Admistration Assistant in Waltham, MA
    Current Employee - Admistration Assistant in Waltham, MA

I have been working at National Grid (UK) full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Good job security, friendly people to work with, and a nice atmosphere with opportunities to grow and develop professionally

Cons

The company's constant restructuring makes it difficult for the company to really thrive, as once things settle down, everything is turned upside down causing lack of continuity and passion among employees

Advice to Management

I would advise management to be more strategic and have a better path aligned for its employees. Expenses should also be tracked better as the company's money goes a great deal toward things that are unneeded.

"Senior Analyst"

Current Employee - Senior Analyst in Brooklyn, NY
    Current Employee - Senior Analyst in Brooklyn, NY

I have been working at National Grid (UK) full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I cannot think of any.

Cons

Extremely long hours. Never know when the work day is over. Saturday hours are expected and might be assigned on Friday. Planning activities for the weekend is impossible with my manager. He thinks that he owns me.

Advice to Management

Enforce the work/life balance policy. Remove managers who treat employees unfairly and who violate company HR policy.

"Senior Analyst"

Former Employee - New York in Hicksville, NY
    Former Employee - New York in Hicksville, NY

I worked at National Grid (UK) full-time

Pros

Good salary and benefits. Generous vacation and holidays.

Cons

Management is very poor, good people are pushed out, while management hires good experienced folks but gives them no flexibility to implement improvements. Secondly, they can promise things at sign on, even hr and upper/executive mmgmt, but don't expect them to honor their words. Lots of backstabbing and misguiding.

Advice to Management

If you hire people with experience, please respect their experience. Give people some flexibility and right people due respect and appreciation. Secondly, don't lie and misguide employees. That might be right in England, not here in US.

"If you're smart, do not work there."

Former Employee - Systems Analyst On Gas SCADA Systems in Melville, NY
    Former Employee - Systems Analyst On Gas SCADA Systems in Melville, NY

I worked at National Grid (UK) full-time

Pros

We were able to do whatever we wanted as long as we got ou since management and coworkers were all our work done since the old-timers and management couldn't care anyless because they were all highly compensated know-nothing's and do-nothings that were sitting on 30-40 year pensions from "the good old days".

If you're smart, young and innovative and want your 3-5 years of experience, you should use them for it and then leave when you ultimately get hired by a better paying company.

Cons

No recognition or appreciation of talent. I designed and implemented the infrastructure for their wan network, gas scada system, giant a/v wall mapboard for their newly built gas control in Melville literally all by myself within a strict deadline along with other time sensitive projects within the same 12 month period namely conversion and consolidation of the user interface from their Upstate gas system to the Downstate system, amongst other IT systems administration tasks all while being grossly underpaid. They knew they were underpaying me for the level of knowledge and talent and production I had and I brought it up on many occasions. New staff walking in the door were making as much as I was after 7 years of working for the company. So after showing off all my work and taking credit for it in front of tours they were giving to the folks in upper management (director level and higher) after the project was completed, my manager at my performance review told me, "if I wasn't happy with my salary to go find another job". Very convenient after having me do all the hard work and you taking all the credit for it. :)

Advice to Management

Middle management are all cluelessly overpaid selfish fools who have no management skills or leadership skills. I hope the company suffers and thus they all suffer.

"Service Delivery Manager"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Brooklyn, NY
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Brooklyn, NY

Pros

Super ethical company, contractors and employees are equally valued.

Cons

Company has become UK management centric to the point of ignoring US based input, requirements and needs.

Advice to Management

Like it or not, you are now a global company. Act like one, before you start to suffer greatly.

7. "Senior Analyst"

Current Employee - Senior Analyst in Syracuse, NY
    Current Employee - Senior Analyst in Syracuse, NY

I have been working at National Grid (UK) full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Good benefits. One of the best paying companies in the area.

Cons

Upper management lacks vision. The promotion process is horrible.

Advice to Management

Please get rid of the useless performance for growth process.

"Needs some change"

Current Employee - Analyst in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Analyst in Boston, MA

I have been working at National Grid (UK) full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Love my boss and coworkers. Work environment of low cubes very difficult to concentrate and distracting, so it's nice to work remote occasionally

Cons

Company is so backwards on where it's headed and doesn't listen to people knee deep in the work. Company runs too mean and there's high burnout, even when the issue is discussed with management and HR. Coworkers having health issues because they're unable to meet regulatory dates.

Advice to Management

Get better software and get rid of archaic systems. They don't work anymore. SAP is a total bust and it would be nice if IT could fix problems in a day or two, as opposed to a month or 2. Especially something that's holding you up from doing your job. You get the feeling no one cares or knows wag they're doing in IT.

9. "Technical Support Consultant"

Current Employee - Technical Support Consultant in Somerset, MA
    Current Employee - Technical Support Consultant in Somerset, MA

I have been working at National Grid (UK) full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Flexibility, professional development, benefits and security

Cons

Slow to catch up with technology

Advice to Management

Value employees

10. "Associate Analyst"

Former Employee - Associate Analyst in Waltham, MA
    Former Employee - Associate Analyst in Waltham, MA

I worked at National Grid (UK) full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Very nice energy efficient building. People are typically friendly. Safety oriented company. Many strong leaders in the company and easy to approach. Employee involvement is also notable here.

Cons

Low pay with low bonus/incentives. Will most likely need to deal with union employees. Slow moving, non-innovative company. Not a "sexy" company like Google.

Advice to Management

Competitive pay.

11. "Civil Structural Engineer"

Current Employee - Civil Structural Engineer in Waltham, MA
    Current Employee - Civil Structural Engineer in Waltham, MA

I have been working at National Grid (UK) full-time (More than a year)

Pros

My group was filled with fantastic engineers and designers. Definitely a great community of people. Good work life balance.

Cons

Poor leadership due to some scandals chronicled in the news and poor management of storms.

Advice to Management

Focus on growing and retaining your talent. Don't be afraid to move the company into the 21st century with new technology and data analytics.