National Grid USA Reviews | Glassdoor

National Grid USA CEO John Pettigrew
John Pettigrew

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • Upper management needs to be more on point and in tune (in 16 reviews)

• Senior management needed to be more repsonsive (in 8 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Truly a wonderful company to work for."

Current Employee - Supervisor Contractor Oversight in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Supervisor Contractor Oversight in New York, NY

I have been working at National Grid USA full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Salaries, benefits, company culture, people. Bonus structures are extremely rewarding and the company definitely tries hard to care about all employees no matter how small.

Cons

Sometimes difficult to change the business in a positive way. Can be lots of red tape / challenges which can slow advancements down.

Advice to Management

Trusting employees to do their job is crucial and sometimes lost by the union / management divide (mostly for good reason) but I find that if people respect and like you, they are more willing to go out of their way for you, especially in regards to union employees who have a very defined job description where it may be frowned upon to go above and beyond normal expectations.

"Great Company to work for - amazing benefits"

I have been working at National Grid USA full-time

Pros

Great benefits, strong salary, interesting work

Cons

Culture is rather dull and boring

Advice to Management

Make work a little more enjoyable when you are there

3. "Great Place"

Pros

Flexible working hours, great pay.

Cons

Alot of traffic in the area

4. "Look before you leap"

Current Employee - Manager in Waltham, MA
    Current Employee - Manager in Waltham, MA

I have been working at National Grid USA full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- Motivated workforce
    - Good compensation
    - Conservation minded

Cons

- Poor deployment of new technology and collaboration tools
    - Failure to decentralize operations & management

Advice to Management

Overall, the management team is great but I do have some advice: Decentralize operations, promote a flexible work environment, deploy new technology in a timely manner, make sure you have enough parking spaces for all of your employees and support collaboration tools.

5. "Lead Analyst"

Current Employee - Lead Analyst in Worcester, MA
    Current Employee - Lead Analyst in Worcester, MA

I have been working at National Grid USA full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Salary is above average for area. Better than average bonus plan. Independent work environment lets you add personal touches to projects, while also meeting corporate goals. Flexible work hours and work from home/remote options available.

Cons

Must be a self starter to be successful. Leadership can see a bit "unsure" of direction at times. Rewards tends to be based on perception and not by personal achievements. Upper management tend to tell you what you want to here and not necessarily what is going on.

6. "Customer Executive"

I worked at National Grid USA full-time

Pros

Great benefits and a great company mission

Cons

Dysfunctional leadership and misaligned executive teams

Advice to Management

Pick a strategy and stick to it.

"Form over function... to an extreme."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Brooklyn, NY
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Brooklyn, NY

I worked at National Grid USA full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Job security. Pretty good benefits. Some of the people are pretty nice.

Cons

I should have heeded the red flags...

It took five months from when I applied to when I got my offer and at multiple times I was sure I had either not moved on to the next round or had been forgotten.

On my first day I went through a short HR orientation and then was told to wait in the lobby for my manager. An hour later someone came to greet me who was not the manager who I had interviewed with, who's offer I had accepted. This manager told me that I had been moved to a different team, and would be doing a different job.

In the ten months that I worked there I found the following:

The culture, at least in the department that I worked in, is horrible. Some managers are better than others, but it seemed like none of them were too interested in sticking up for their people, and at times would throw their own employees under the bus.

Division of responsibilities is terrible. Some people work 70+ hours a week while others on the same team have maybe 15hrs worth of work to do a week.

Zero empathy for employees. I was told numerous times that I could not take time off, not because it would hinder my performance, but because it would "look bad." One of these times was a borderline medical emergency for which I was offering to take PTO and was still denied.

The bonus structure is ok until review time, where I got a fine review (some points for improvement, but overall good) but then was told that this only warranted a 25% payout of my bonus.

In my ten months there I only had one 1-on-1 meeting with my manager at 8 months in (the company mandated annual review) despite asking repeatedly to have one earlier.

During my review process I was repeatedly told that I was making more than I was supposed to and that whomever had approved my salary had not followed protocol.

Many internal company functions (IT, HR, Facilities) were so awful that they very seriously hindered employees ability to do business effectively or efficiently.

There is almost zero on-boarding structure and it you are considered lucky if you have a functioning computer with email by the end of your first week.

Advice to Management

You have some really good, really talented people. Put some processes into place to help them feel appreciated. I'm not talking about the annual employee feedback survey.

You've got (a lot) of very smart kids coming in straight from college that are looking for the door three months in. You can tell yourself that it's them not being ready for the real world, or you can learn how to utilize their knowledge and talents.

Find ways to acknowledge that your employees are real, live people that deserve to be treated as such. Spend a little time figuring out how to care for each of your team members individually and let them pursue their goals, even if they're outside of the scope of the handful of cube-shaped goals that the company thinks employees should be pursuing.

8. "Negative culture that rips at your soul"

I worked at National Grid USA full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

A lot of the work has the potential to be very interesting, but politics and the overall climate of despair make it a very challenging and soul-crushing environment. However, you certainly learn a lot about yourself and human nature in general in such an environment. You can certainly take these life lessons and apply them elsewhere.

Cons

The pros are also cons, but all in all I learned a lot about myself and human nature in general.

Advice to Management

After spending millions of dollars on re-org after re-org, you still have not figured out a way to fix the broken, abusive culture.

9. "great company"

Current Employee - Substation
    Current Employee - Substation

I have been working at National Grid USA full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

people and pay are great

Cons

union versus non union jobs make it hard to move up

10. "it's good"

I have been working at National Grid USA full-time

Pros

good place and people, culture

Cons

so far is good for now