National Grid USA Reviews | Glassdoor

National Grid USA CEO John Pettigrew
John Pettigrew

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • Upper management needs to be more on point and in tune (in 16 reviews)

• Senior management needed to be more repsonsive (in 8 reviews)

"Form over function... to an extreme."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Brooklyn, NY
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Brooklyn, NY

I worked at National Grid USA full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Job security. Pretty good benefits. Some of the people are pretty nice.

Cons

I should have heeded the red flags...

It took five months from when I applied to when I got my offer and at multiple times I was sure I had either not moved on to the next round or had been forgotten.

On my first day I went through a short HR orientation and then was told to wait in the lobby for my manager. An hour later someone came to greet me who was not the manager who I had interviewed with, who's offer I had accepted. This manager told me that I had been moved to a different team, and would be doing a different job.

In the ten months that I worked there I found the following:

The culture, at least in the department that I worked in, is horrible. Some managers are better than others, but it seemed like none of them were too interested in sticking up for their people, and at times would throw their own employees under the bus.

Division of responsibilities is terrible. Some people work 70+ hours a week while others on the same team have maybe 15hrs worth of work to do a week.

Zero empathy for employees. I was told numerous times that I could not take time off, not because it would hinder my performance, but because it would "look bad." One of these times was a borderline medical emergency for which I was offering to take PTO and was still denied.

The bonus structure is ok until review time, where I got a fine review (some points for improvement, but overall good) but then was told that this only warranted a 25% payout of my bonus.

In my ten months there I only had one 1-on-1 meeting with my manager at 8 months in (the company mandated annual review) despite asking repeatedly to have one earlier.

During my review process I was repeatedly told that I was making more than I was supposed to and that whomever had approved my salary had not followed protocol.

Many internal company functions (IT, HR, Facilities) were so awful that they very seriously hindered employees ability to do business effectively or efficiently.

There is almost zero on-boarding structure and it you are considered lucky if you have a functioning computer with email by the end of your first week.

Advice to Management

You have some really good, really talented people. Put some processes into place to help them feel appreciated. I'm not talking about the annual employee feedback survey.

You've got (a lot) of very smart kids coming in straight from college that are looking for the door three months in. You can tell yourself that it's them not being ready for the real world, or you can learn how to utilize their knowledge and talents.

Find ways to acknowledge that your employees are real, live people that deserve to be treated as such. Spend a little time figuring out how to care for each of your team members individually and let them pursue their goals, even if they're outside of the scope of the handful of cube-shaped goals that the company thinks employees should be pursuing.

2. "Finance = $"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Waltham, MA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Waltham, MA

I have been working at National Grid USA full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Extremely focused on financial results
    Entire industry is changing
    Many many new people in finance

Cons

If you are not a manager in Finance, your 10% incentive compensation is much lower than what it used to be

A lot of people work one or two days from home, but some senior management don't like it

It is a British company and they are in charge, US Finance plays a support role and mostly just say "yes" and follow

50%+ turnover in the finance function in Waltham HQ during 2016/2017 and a lot of good people left finance to join other parts of the company, to keep higher bonus pay and better title

Some directors in Finance are just managers and many employees talk behind their backs and complain about them, many of these directors just give orders and don't know how to do their job

Low morale at work

Not many learning opportunities and management don't follow best practices, but they always claim to

Management can not listen to suggestions, they don't seek ideas/opinions different than what they know/are comfortable with, and more than 50% of the employees company wide don't feel safe to talk and this has been a long term issue

They don't promote from within, and many managers and directors have been hired from outside during the past 12 months, likely with lower pay to reduce overall costs, and they don't know Utility Finance and they pretend they do; therefore they can not teach, don't know how to teach, and they are just surviving too

Management wants to paint a picture of successful changes

Advice to Management

Face the reality of good employees leaving finance because they don't like working in finance
    Listen and proactively look for different ideas/opinions, before it is too late
    Be genuine

3. "Customer service"

Former Employee - Senior Customer Service Representative in Northborough, MA
    Former Employee - Senior Customer Service Representative in Northborough, MA

I worked at National Grid USA full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Coworkers. Pay and benefits after 10 years.

Cons

Management is brutal. Never worked in a more evil environment. If you like someone watching you 24/7, lots of favoritism, and abuse, then this is the job for you. They dropped starting pay from 18.00 to 14.00
    If you are male you have a good chance to move to a better job.

Advice to Management

Treat people like human beings.

4. "Engineer"

Former Employee - Engineer in Syracuse, NY
    Former Employee - Engineer in Syracuse, NY

I worked at National Grid USA (More than 5 years)

Pros

Old NiMo engineers are great resource.

Cons

National Grid engineers from Mass are always trying to change old established NiMo standards. They are very condescending and make it very well known that they bought NiMo. Also HR policies are very liberal and require everyone to accept the alternate lifestyles accepted in Massachusetts.

5. "Beware"

Former Employee - Peon in Brooklyn, NY
    Former Employee - Peon in Brooklyn, NY

I worked at National Grid USA full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Reliable pay and benefits pkg

Cons

Siloed departments bordering on fifedoms with no communication

Advice to Management

Communicate between departments

"Old Fashioned - stagnant careers"

Current Employee - Analyst in Waltham, MA
    Current Employee - Analyst in Waltham, MA

I have been working at National Grid USA full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Low paying, stagnant, finance department is the worst of the worst. Stay away if you want a pleasant place to work

Cons

Many opening - but due to high turn over rates

7. "Poor Management, Difficult Environment to Work In"

Former Employee - Systems Operator
    Former Employee - Systems Operator

I worked at National Grid USA full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Good benefits, salary, bonus structures, etc. Company has good mission and very team-oriented environment.

Cons

Depending on where you are, management can have terrible relationship with their employees and will not give a second thought in dismissing or laying off people to be able to get a better quota or obtain their bonuses, leaving a bad impression with the workers in the environment. The environment gets very stressful as a result of this idea. A weak IT/facility engineering department for upgrading the still out-dated technology is also a factor and resources are very unorganized. Otherwise would be a good place to work and would give it higher rating if not for such factors.

Advice to Management

Be more open to employees and concerns/improvements in the system and find ways to better the teams instead of just laying people off to make better progress in company ratings and obtain your satisfactory bonuses. I find that if the employees under you have respect for you and like you, they are more willing to go out of their way for you, especially in regards to employees who have a very defined job description and find a harder time figuring out how to go above and beyond normal expectations of the job. I'd say DO NOT just throw new employees in disorganized and confusing situations and expect that everything will work out perfectly either; you need to find ways to improve the system to make it more comfortable, rather than nerve racking that worries everyone of the idea of being fired. This is why everyone gets STRESSED.

"Old Boys Network- PM"

Current Employee - Project Manager in Waltham, MA
    Current Employee - Project Manager in Waltham, MA

I have been working at National Grid USA full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

For the small $ they pay. There's not much to say. I can not think of 20 words. class action lawsuit will save the minorities there

Cons

Discrimination, harassment, bullying and racism are rampant. No tolerance of other culture. Company is simply collecting $ from the public

Work is not challenging at all. No brain needed. Once you work there, no other employer will ever want you; been trying to get out for 5 years

Advice to Management

Not necessary

9. "Analyst"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New Hyde Park, NY
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New Hyde Park, NY

I have been working at National Grid USA full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

some work life balance and some good co workers.

Cons

Slavish culture, need to know someone to move up and grow, lots of nepotism, no respect for culture, diversity, minority, just a big show to the world that the company is respects minority. Women and people of color are given insignificant roles while the significant roles are reserved for the elite class.

Advice to Management

advanced diverse and new generation into leadership roles. change the dinosaur culture.

"Finance Director"

Current Employee - Financial Director in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Financial Director in Boston, MA

I have been working at National Grid USA full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Stable and free from real world economic challenges; provides essential services to customers served. Some teams genuinely committed to making a difference

Cons

Leadership too reliant on outside consultants rather than investing in and backing inside talent. Advancement almost totally dependent on political maneuvering; not a meritocracy

Advice to Management

Reconnect with reality and address real fundamental issues