National Income Life Reviews | Glassdoor

1.0
Rating Trends Rating Trends
National Income Life CEO Roger Smith
Roger Smith

Pros
  • Can make lots of money, plenty of leads, and you make your own work schedule really (in 7 reviews)

• Get rewarded for your hard work (in 7 reviews)

Cons
  • long hours, 11am to 1am on some days in the first 2 years (in 12 reviews)

• Hard work until you get into the swing of things (in 11 reviews)

1. "BE WARNED"

Current Employee - Benefits Representative in Farmingdale, NY
    Current Employee - Benefits Representative in Farmingdale, NY

I have been working at National Income Life full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Make your own schedule, not a 9-5

Cons

Pay, rude clients, driving constantly, not reliable, No benefits.

"Scammy Scam"

Former Contractor - Agent in New York, NY
    Former Contractor - Agent in New York, NY

I worked at National Income Life as a contractor (Less than a year)

Pros

None. They are duping a lot of good, decent people who don't know better. Stay far away. Too good to be true is usually reality

Cons

Pay for your own training, pay for licensing exams, herds of people hired every day because they know no one will stick around. Will hire anyone and make it seem like it's on your merits. Read the negative reviews and know they are ALL accurate.

Advice to Management

Run an honest company

"Insurance Agent"

Former Employee - Insurance Agent in Flushing, NY
    Former Employee - Insurance Agent in Flushing, NY

Pros

Once out of training you are pretty much able to make your own schedule

Cons

Only 1 lead pack to work off of and then you are pretty much on your own. After a while leads dry up. Also it is 100% commission, so if you dont write up a policy you do not get paid.

"Pyramid Scheme!!!!"

Former Employee - Sales Agent in Farmingdale, NY
    Former Employee - Sales Agent in Farmingdale, NY

I worked at National Income Life full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

You can make money as you can in any pyramid scheme. If your lucky you will be the 1 in 1000 who comes in and can build your own pyramid

Cons

If pyramid scheme doesn't scare you away then not much will. You don't actually make the type of income they say you can unless you build a downline of employees below you. During management training they tell the managers that they are not a life insurance company but a recruiting agency. There is no company hiring its all on you to hire people to go below your self. You pay for your ads and try and hire your own saps to suck the life out of.

What company has no managers or higher ups that have been there more than 5+ yrs yet that brags about being in business for 75+ yrs. The majority of managers have been there less than a yr and when they get past that point they leave because they will go to a real company that pays a salary and doesn't require working 7 days a week to make a living

Advice to Management

This is like talking to a wall because they can care less what anyone says they are the top of the pyramid. Congrats you guys can continue to sell your sole to try and make as much money as possible until you eventually leave the company like everyone else because its not a real job and no one wants to be there when it collapses

"Stay away"

Former Employee - Agent in Flushing, NY
    Former Employee - Agent in Flushing, NY

I worked at National Income Life full-time

Pros

As long u make them money

Cons

Horrible experience .. U don't want to be here. Save ur money and time.

Advice to Management

Go make real money. Don't take people's hard working money

"The Best Kept Pyramid Secret"

Former Employee - Sales Agent in Flushing, NY
    Former Employee - Sales Agent in Flushing, NY

I worked at National Income Life full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Absolutely none. Unless u like lies. Lies, excuses, and hair gel. Then there's plenty to go round from management.

Cons

Lies at the interview process. Let's start there. You're told you were selected based on your credentials they saw, but really the reason their email lands in the junk mail folder is because gmail is smart enough to recognise how frequently that hook is passed around online in a DAY.

Training is rapid, incompetent, by rote ("the computer presentations completely eliminate human error!" Managers are solely focussed on culling new entries with a fresh License to they can have a wider downline. Did you hear that- DOWNLINE. Only Pyramid schemes have this structure, and that means all the positive reviews you'll find here come from the 1% who squirms through in highly unethical ways to reach the TOP of the pyramid (where the really good dividends are, and the residual income from all the hardworking saps they've lured in can plump their benefits)

Unprofessional senior staff calling itself 'Management'- Frat boy culture with no respect

Advice to Management

There are no words, they'd simply laugh it off because the revolving door keeps the supply of saps fresh.

"STAY FAR AWAY UNLESS YOU KNOW WHAT YOUR GETTING YOURSELF INTO"

Former Employee - Insurance Agent in Long Island City, NY
    Former Employee - Insurance Agent in Long Island City, NY

I worked at National Income Life full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

not a scam, the checks to actually clear, your given leads and they provide some training..There is potential to make money here but you are selling a terrible product to people that seriously have much bigger concerns in their lives than life insurance.. the bad definitely outweighs the good. The one major positive thing about working here was it lead me to find an amazing job working for a much bigger company making a great salary plus commission.

Cons

My manager promised me the world on a string. We got along very well as he took me through my on-field training. So much so that i actually gave him a small gift to show my appreciation. Upon giving it to him, he thanked me but went on to say "are you sure you want to give this to me? There's a good chance your going to hate me in a few weeks." This was the first major red flag.

As the weeks went on, i eventually began going into the field on my own. While i did struggle, I kept going since the last thing I am is a quitter. The leads that your given are union leads which is a lot more than most insurance companies give you when your starting off. The problem is, they literally have no money. After you make a sale, you are told to never contact the client again in hopes that they forget they have a policy so they won't cancel it.

Your told as an agent to never make excuses, which i totally agree with. The problem is, the managers are full of excuses. If you have a slow month, the excuses pour in. "your presentation must be terrible," "your not being passionate enough", "your close is off." At a certain point, i asked my manager if I could go out in the field with him some more, maybe I really was doing something wrong. He refused and told me that he would role play with me in the office. The one time he did come back out in the field with me, he agreed that my presentation was just fine.

At the end of the day, most of the people you are trying to sell to are low income and literally have no money. I did really like the industry so i decided to see what else was out there. Upon applying and interviewing at bigger, more established financial service/insurance companies, I began to learn that National Income has literally THE WORST reputation in the entire industry. Seriously, I interviewed at 7 companies since early-December and every single one only had only the worst things to say about these guys.

So here was the kicker for me- December is what they call a "push month" since it's the end of the year. I did not have a good month, which I'm not going to blame on anyone but myself. On the eve of my team's Christmas party, I was getting into my car to head to it. I texted my manager to let him know that I was on my way and he told me NOT TO BOTHER COMING! I was beside myself.

At the end of the day, if you aren't making your managers money, they will throw you to the side of the road like a dead piece of meat. I've heard this from quite a few ex-agents and I experienced it myself.

The amount of lies these managers dish you is also unreal. They pretend that they are there to help you but they are too stupid to realize that their lies are very open and obvious. For instance, if you don't make a sale with a given lead, a manager will go back to that same house and try and sell them. Then when you ask them about it, they deny it ever happened. Another example- since training is unpaid, during my on-field training, I asked my manager if we can cross-pitch so i could maybe get a sale so I could put some money in my pocket. He made a HUGE scene about it but eventually gave in and gave me a sale. This was very nice of him and I was very appreciative. For the next few months he kept reminding me that I'm the only agent he's ever done that for. Upon speaking to other agents, I soon learned that he gave every agent in training a few sales under their belt.

I can go on and on about these guys. The charge-backs, the lies, the cultish atmosphere, 6 and a half day work week, etc. etc. That said, I definitely have no regrets since this lead to an amazing opportunity with a great, reputable company. It probably never would have happened if I never first worked at NILICO.

Advice to Management

First off, maybe be a little more selective on who gets promoted to manager. I've never in my life experienced a level on unprofessionalism like I did an NILICO. Some of the crap I witnessed and was told to do was borderline illegal. As long as money was being made, they didn't care what you did. Also, this is a 1099 job. While I know what's involved in this, very few people do. Maybe you should tell new agents to save some money because you will be completely screwed when it comes to time pay taxes. Again, I can go on and on.

"Only promises. Not much more..."

Current Employee - Insurance Agent in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Insurance Agent in New York, NY

I have been working at National Income Life full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

New experience. New sales skills ..

Cons

They promising you will make a lot of money in the first month but in reality you are studying first...the you work with supervisor ... so first 2-3 month you don`t make anything...

Advice to Management

Stop lying to people. And stop hiring 40 people everyday just to let them pay for your classes..

"HORRIBLE!!"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Syracuse, NY
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Syracuse, NY

I worked at National Income Life full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Nothing, the company is fraudulent in its offers and advice to employees and unions alike.

Cons

The office falsely parades itself as a salary based, individually driven opportunity, and is in reality nothing more than a pyramid commission based scheme, that drains individuals of their personal drive and ambitions.

Advice to Management

The company must either honestly inform individuals that it is no different than any other insurance agency--i.e. leaching off unsuspecting people who want to make a positive humanitarian impact in the world--or change it general mantra and mission. For those who actually want to help others and empower people, steer clear!

"What have you done for me lately?"

Former Employee - Benefit Coordinator in Farmingdale, NY
    Former Employee - Benefit Coordinator in Farmingdale, NY

I worked at National Income Life full-time

Pros

Make own schedule, dress casual

Cons

Make hundreds of calls which mostly end up with no answer, can drive over an hour to an appointment and they don't show up because they really don't care about the product, act like you don't exist if you aren't making sales, looked down on if not working 7 days

Advice to Management

After the initial leads they give you and they push you to sell to friends and family, it's tough to build a market