National Industries for the Blind Reviews | Glassdoor

Kevin Lynch

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "eCommerce"

I have been working at National Industries for the Blind full-time

Pros

They have budget for technology.

Cons

Takes forever, if at all to get new technology for your needs. Priorities fall by the wayside.

Advice to Management

Put people in management positions that know how to use and train others to use the database. my manager can't.

2. "There are good and bads"

Former Employee - Business Development
    Former Employee - Business Development

I worked at National Industries for the Blind full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Mission to create jobs for blind and visually impaired is admirable. Help for some npa's is necessary. HC benefits are good.

Cons

Too much bureaucracy and non recognition of indirect employment. Most employees don't understand the grass-roots of a working agency and what it takes to meet customer needs.

Advice to Management

Advocate rule changes in reporting blind labor hours.

3. "Management sucks"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Alexandria, VA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Alexandria, VA

Pros

retirement contribution, people below management were good.

Cons

lack of training, lack of growth

Advice to Management

This is an old boy network

"Pervasive Dysfunction"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Alexandria, VA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Alexandria, VA

I have been working at National Industries for the Blind full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

- Opportunity to get paid while incessantly looking for new employment. Opportunity to get paid while incessantly sending out resumes.

Cons

low employee morale - unrealistic career growth and false promises - utter lack of loyalty and morality - unwillingness to listen to others - wildly hypocritical - rampant scapegoating - long-term grudge-holding - RED FLAG - Blind/visually impaired individuals routinely leave NIB for other jobs - RED FLAG - only 10% or less of the employees at NIB are actually blind or visually impaired...completely contradicting NIB's overall mission.

Advice to Management

Every employee--no matter what his or her level of performance or job title--deserves to be treated with respect. Treat employees with disrespect, disdain, and disapproval and no tangible reward will ever overcome the damage to their feelings of self-worth. Luckily, I am a strong-minded individual and understand that NIB is just a toxic place to work and has nothing to do with me, my skills, my leadership, my education and my life experiences not found often among my peers. This is a bad place to work.

"Contract Administrator"

I have been working at National Industries for the Blind full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Very Family Oriented and Flexible.

Cons

Career growth is hit or miss.

"National Industries for the Blind Review"

Pros

Most employees (and I stress most) are dedicated to the mission.

Cons

Top-heavy organization. The Executive leadership team lacks strategic thinking and direction. Excessive employee turnover. Employee skills are secondary to understanding the political games.

Advice to Management

Minimize the executive level "fluff" and increase the number of employees actually doing the job.

"Great Experience"

Pros

The experience of working with legally blind to completely blind. Is amazing to watch them work as if they don't have a disability.

Cons

Their rodent problem, and sometimes it can be too hot or too cold.

"Where to Begin"

I worked at National Industries for the Blind full-time

Pros

Lost Dog Cafe recently opened near the NIB building....

Cons

Salary is abysmal..when I say abysmal I mean...masters prepared individuals could be making more $$ walking dogs... Management refuses to give decent salary increases. Job responsibilities are wildly misleading. NIB is spending tens and tens and tens of millions dollars on a brand new building...but employees with advanced degree's need to work 2 and sometimes 3 jobs (65+ hours per week) in order to literally, live. The culture is abnormally backwards. There is zero "trickle-down" communication from top to bottom. This isn't just some disgruntled employee...I've talked to dozens of employee's about their struggles under this roof and it's all the same...the mission is misleading, the job functions are misleading...and the culture needs a revamp and soon. It should start with the CEO...he's a figure-head. His inability to lead and/or inspire those around him is astonishing. I've had maybe 3 conversations (more than 4 sentences each) with the CEO in 3 years. He simply does not care about managing any semblance of relationships with employees (not including execs).

Advice to Management

Listen more, talk less.

"Fraud - so much for money going back for the cause"

Pros

They are located of the VRE - makes it accessible and for bad weather you can not wish for more. Lower staff personnel nice.

Cons

Contracts - people who believe they are more than are, wanna a be lawyers but nothing more then push the PO out with quantity and price. What irritated me most was the expenses when contracts when out on business calls or travel. I witnessed over 800 dollar dinners for 4, over 1,200 for clients in meals and wine. Is this charitable or abuse of spending due to the type of business they are. It reminds me of United Way and they waste and abuse.

Advice to Management

Educate contracts that they are just paper pushers with prescribed documents and do not spend on lavish dinners and entertain at an expense that in the end is only allows less to the the cause you are fighting for. You already receive grants and free money so it is not as if you have to compete for services, but be fair and start with contracts and educating them on their roles - not what they think they are.

"Horrible Executive Leadership"

I have been working at National Industries for the Blind full-time

Pros

Mostly nice, decent people at lower levels up to most of middle management. Good 403(B) plan, benefits, work life balance, access to subway, and social mission. Great place for retired DOD bureaucrats looking for a 2nd or third career where they can chill out....

Cons

Terrible senior executive management. Totally backward. The only silver lining is that some of the worst folks at the executive level have left over the last few years, but it's still a horrid situation. Leadership has no leadership skills. They don't take responsibility and they never interact with lower-mid level employees. Their thinking is out of the 1950s, without any of the good qualities of that generation!

Many of the rank and file employees are desperate to get out, but they struggle because most of the skills you learn here are only useful inside this organization's program. As such, the vast majority who have managed to escape over the last several years have gone to the associated non-profits in their program. Some have escaped to other gov contractors, but only a very small handful have managed to entirely escape to the private sector, but most of those people came in with strong backgrounds - as you would expect, they left because they were horribly under-utilized

Advice to Management

The board should intervene and fire all senior executive management. Seriously. Replace them with a combination of promoting gems from within and brand new people from the outside. Oh - and don't just hire DoD retirees, though if you do hire DoD retirees, ONLY hire them for their rolodex, and then hold them to account for explicitly bringing in business. Please don't hire them for their "great management skills". Recognize the good work that some of your stars/gems are doing and then empower them. Foster a culture of collaboration. Break your silos.

National Industries for the Blind Response

Mar 3, 2015 – Senior Director, Human Resources

Thank you for taking the time to write a review. I am so sorry to hear that you feel this way. I would welcome a conversation with you to find out how you became so disappointed.

I would... More