National Instruments Reviews in Austin, TX | Glassdoor

3.7
Alex Davern

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • Some times it gets hard to maintain work life balance (in 32 reviews)

• The "culture" is used as a reason low pay is okay (in 30 reviews)

1. "Great Place to Work"

Former Employee - Software Technician in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Software Technician in Austin, TX

I worked at National Instruments full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Spent a year and a half at National Instruments. The culture is laid back, everyone is friendly. And the work life balance is incredible! It's unheard of to have to work over 40 hours so don't expect to have to work for free here.

Cons

The only con is compensation. It's well below industry standard. It's literally the only strike against the company in my experience but even then, they've been working on rectifying that.

"Good place to work after college, not so much beyond that."

Former Employee - Staff Software Engineer in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Staff Software Engineer in Austin, TX

I worked at National Instruments full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Pretty good starting salaries. Excellent benefits, 401k matching, and stock purchasing plan. Regular parties. The people are pretty nice. Also an on-site gym and doctor's office.

Cons

The salaries aren't competitive for a mid-level engineer. Culture is a bit stuffy and the old-timers there vary wildly in ability and seem to be untouchable by management. I had a UX lead who doesn't answer e-mails, he just doesn't do it, and was never reprimanded for it. I also had principal engineer completely break my feature and call a meeting to blame me for it when our demo went poorly. There are also problems with tech leads and architects being so overworked they can't review code, which creates a huge bottleneck for lower level engineers. (You can imagine the panic when you've been waiting for a code review for a week and it comes back two days prior to end-of-sprint requesting major changes). Also: the feature you pour your heart and soul into is going to be outsourced as soon as it's stable, and heaven help you if you have to coordinate with off-shore teams because nobody tells them anything.

Advice to Management

Look for bottlenecks in the development process and actually listen to your engineers when they tell you something is wrong.

3. "It could be worse."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

I have been working at National Instruments full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Flexible Schedule, OK benefits, decent amount of holidays off.

Cons

Low pay, low recognition, unclear career path, depending on your manager you could be shut completely out on raises and advancement if they don't personally like you. Regardless of how effective you are at your job.

Advice to Management

Stop paying your employees like it is 1996 still. We have staff/senior level engineers with second jobs and eat bologna sandwiches because they can hardly afford to live in Round Rock. We can't pay our bills with a fancy deck area.

4. "All things considered...good place to work"

Current Employee - Program Manager in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Program Manager in Austin, TX

I have been working at National Instruments full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The Company offers a great work-life environment, a fantastic office space, and meaningful work. The people are great to work with.

Cons

Very political and cliquish, but you have that everywhere. The company does pay on the very low side of the going wages. While the company executives admit this and state they want to correct it; it will likely take 3 to 5 years for it to correct itself.

5. "National Instruments"

Current Employee - Product Manager in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Product Manager in Austin, TX

I have been working at National Instruments part-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Great place to work. Positive, honest, trustworthy people.

Cons

Company is in a time of transition after growing to over a billion dollars.

Advice to Management

Keep NI a great place to work.

6. "I loved working here"

Former Employee - Applications Engineering Specialist in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Applications Engineering Specialist in Austin, TX

I worked at National Instruments full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Very flexible and friendly work environment. Interesting projects and technologies. Young coworkers and a vibrant social life. Great work-life balance. Tons of on-the-job training.

Cons

Slightly lower than average pay. Could've used more time off (but that's true of almost any job).

7. "Software Engineering Intern"

Former Intern - Software Engineer(Internship) in Austin, TX
    Former Intern - Software Engineer(Internship) in Austin, TX

I worked at National Instruments as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

Great mentoring program and team cohesion. Very well established intern professional development program company wide.

Cons

Not a very cutting edge company. Many of my fellow interns felt bored or underchallenged.

8. "Great for self-starters"

Former Employee - Applications Engineer in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Applications Engineer in Austin, TX

I worked at National Instruments full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great work atmosphere and culture within ELP. Ability to take on almost unlimited projects with every department in the company.

Cons

Management is not as transparent as it should be. If you are not pushed up, you are pushed out over time. Essentially an extended internship that boosts you to your next actual entry level job.

"Director, Sales"

Former Employee - Sales Director in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Sales Director in Austin, TX

I worked at National Instruments full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

NI has always done a tremendous job of assembling very talented people who are great to work with. The work life balance has always been very good.

Cons

While many of the execs think NI is a meritocracy, it is not. Style is often rewarded over substance and results. The pay has typically lagged the market. NI hasn't hit it's 18% profitability goal since 2000. Without consistent, double digit growth, the culture at NI will take a hit.

Advice to Management

Need to become more nimble and willing to go after more specific turn-key solutions. With decreased customer product life cycles and shorter time to market requirement, many customers don't have the time luxury to build their own systems. This would require aligning parts of R&D, Manufacturing, Marketing, and Sales.

"Great Place to Start Your Career"

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Austin, TX

I have been working at National Instruments full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

If you are a software engineer fresh out of school, you will learn a lot starting your career at NI. They expect a lot out of you, and you will get plenty of opportunities if you are willing. You will get to work on a bunch of different stuff and learn a lot.

The workplace is relaxed and friendly. The work schedule is fairly flexible; that is really nice if you have kids.

Cons

Salary has been stagnant compare to rest of software industry. Lack of performance based bonus does not encourage one to perform better. Letting under-performing employees stayed too long on the job and getting paid as much as over-performing employee just because of tenure hurts morale.

Advice to Management

You cannot really say you are hiring the best and the brightest when your pay is no longer competitive.

Showing 591 of 1,222 reviews