National Instruments Reviews in Texas | Glassdoor

Texas

2.0
Alex Davern

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Work life balance is absolutely in the hands of the employee, with very few roles in the company having any set schedule (in 197 reviews)

• The work environment that the company promote (in 122 reviews)

Cons
  • So if a high base pay outweighs your desire for a good work life balance, this might not be the place for you (in 33 reviews)

• The "culture" is used as a reason low pay is okay (in 30 reviews)

"General & Administrative"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

I have been working at National Instruments full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Flexible work time and good work life balance.

Cons

No changes in poor salary, time off, and bonus/ profit sharing- despite HR's promise to correct pay issues for last 18 months.

Advice to Management

Train your managers on how to be good managers- stop paying bonuses to managers when company is not meeting performance goals.

"Sales Management"

Former Employee - Manager in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Manager in Austin, TX

I worked at National Instruments full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Very hands on role. Well supported by senior management. Quota flexibility.

Cons

Constant change - change management fatigue for many sales reps. Only a few people getting large rewards. Conflict between Inside and Field sales ownership may cause disruption.

Advice to Management

Find ways to wow customers. When was the last time NI had a product launch and breakthrough that really wow clients and market?

"The NI Way"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

I have been working at National Instruments full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

NI is mostly a good company. What most NI employees don’t know, current and former, is NI provides its employees with an anonymous and confidential way to provide feedback.

NI contracts with a third party company called Ethics Point. Google Ethics Point and search their site for NI, because Glassdoor does not accept URL postings.

“The NI Way is a frequently used term at National Instruments that attempts to describe the unique approach taken by employees to creatively and successfully exceed the expectations of our customers, business partners, and shareholders.
    At the foundation of the NI Way is our set of core values that help define who we are:
    • Constant respect for people
    • Uncompromising honesty and integrity”

As a current employee, if you identify yourself and list personnel issues, read the fine print that says the following about feedback you provide:

"Personnel issues such as discrimination, harassment or employment matters will be directed to human resources for investigation when a report is submitted." It also goes to the company attorneys, so make sure you can substantiate what you saying with a paper trail.

“Ethics is knowing the difference between what you have a right to do and what is right to do.” Potter Stewart

Cons

There are no cons to making this service available to current and former NI employees.

"Great pedrigee, everybody Loves working there but pay sucks!!"

Current Employee - Test Engineer in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Test Engineer in Austin, TX

I have been working at National Instruments full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

interesting work. Smart coworkers. Making a difference. Convenient location if you live north. Challenging projects, can progress quickly. Stable employer. Opportunity to travel based on department. Access to interesting equipment. World class programming software (LabVIEW).

Cons

3rd year in a row of 0$ bonus!!! On top of almost record revenues. This is super frustrating and demoralizing. I see "leadership" who is getting promoted, bonuses and not doing JACK for us. There is Tons of doubletalk about employee engagement and making improvements but tiny raises (1% is HUGE), zero bonus and mandatory actions like :
    Blood draw annually for medical analysis or face $60 Monthly charge
    $0 bonus when HUGE deal last year about changing the formula and "setting aside $6mil for bonuses"
    Crap (1% for years on end) for raises when Austin is expensive
    Making building improvements and HUGE deal about it, who cares? We are here to work.

Advice to Management

Get serious about bonus and incentive programs. I love NI but feel like I am getting shafted with raises and bonuses.
    We understand part of business plan is new graduates. It you need senior engineers to stay around.

"Not one of the best places to work"

I have been working at National Instruments full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

The campus is nice. The company is finally making much needed updates to the facilities. Benefits are average compared to most large companies. Great people to work with.

Cons

The work environment stinks. Upper management has totally killed moral. Management is not honest with the employees. A lot of back stabbing. A lot of really good employees are leaving. Pay is well below average.

Advice to Management

Wake up!

"Growth"

Former Employee - Human Resources Business Partner in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Human Resources Business Partner in Austin, TX

I worked at National Instruments full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Slow and steady culture, challenging projects and assignments, generally harmony in working environment, learning and development getting improvement to benefit more employees.

Cons

Compensation is not competitive vs more demanding expectations. Business growth has tapered off for the last few years, limiting career growth for many aspiring employees.

Advice to Management

Leadership efforts to generate growth need further improvement to be more effective for broadbase employees.

"Not worth sticking around for the long term."

Former Employee - IT Programmer Analyst in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - IT Programmer Analyst in Austin, TX

Pros

+ Great place to start your career and witness how NOT to properly manage and inspire people
    + Relatively good work-life balance
    + Great location off of Mopac and near the Domain

Cons

- Don't stick around more than 5 years, unless you just want to coast <yawn>
    - Management is very "high school" cliquish, uninspiring and lacks any prior work history/experiences before joining NI - which makes it very difficult to progress your career, unless someone *finally* leaves/rotates
    - Very lackluster culture - this used to be its number one selling point prior to losing the Forbes Top 100
    - Zero effort in trying to keep talent when there are more enticing career opportunities

Advice to Management

There really needs to be a shake up from the top to really see any possible change trickle down. Put effort in making it a competitive, exciting place to work. Reward, promote and acknowledge those who do great work.

"Sales Engineer"

Former Employee - Sales Engineer in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Sales Engineer in Austin, TX

I worked at National Instruments full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great place to learn
    Work with brilliant people
    Great management team
    Very stable
    Great work life balance, will never have to work weekends or after 6

Cons

Because they don't do layoffs there is a lot of fat that needs to be trimmed
    Questionable leadership at the top
    Low salary compared to the market
    Unrealistic goals for company bonuses
    Lots of red tape means changes happen very slowly
    Because they hire everyone in AE, we now have a lot of upper level management making decisions for the whole company, while not having outside experience.

Advice to Management

NI harps on hiring the best and the brightest all the time. They used to be ranked as one of the best places to work. The market has changed drastically over the past 5-10 years and the culture advantage NI used to have has been surpassed at nearly every other company. if you want to stop the mass exodus of employees leaving, you simply need to change. NI is at an inflection point and it doesn't look like it's heading up.

"eBusiness Strategist"

Current Employee - ECommerce Product Marketing Engineer in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - ECommerce Product Marketing Engineer in Austin, TX

I have been working at National Instruments full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Family friendly culture. Fairly flexible work schedules. Decent Benefits. No history of Layoffs so a stable place to work. Relaxed office environment.

Cons

Terrible pay compared to competitors. Benefits used to be stellar but have declined in value over time. Culture is based on consensus and is slow to react and to make decisions.

Advice to Management

Improve compensation and improve decision making processes. You also need to better allocate resources towards needed company improvements. In the future Benefits will be more of an issue if they continue to decline.

"Not what it used to be, but you could still do worse"

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Austin, TX

I have been working at National Instruments full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

The best things about NI hands down are the people and the work. You will work with the nicest, smartest group of engineers you will ever meet. There is great camaraderie and a real sense of community, and you will learn every day from the people you work with.

You will also get to work on rewarding projects that challenge you. New engineers get a lot of responsibility on day 1, and you will get plenty of opportunities to really make a difference.

The NI campus is also very nice. They put a lot of effort into making it look beautiful. You get covered parking and access to a gym with fitness classes, volleyball and basketball courts, and an on-site doctor's office.

Cons

NI's culture is undergoing a fundamental shift. When executives and directors start throwing around euphemisms like "high-performance culture", you get a sense of what's in store for you.

When I joined NI, I was sold on the values of the company, because it was such a stark contrast to other corporations. I was given offers to plenty of "high-performance" oriented companies like NetFlix or Amazon, where I knew I would be putting in 60+ hour weeks doing soul-crushing work while making a lot of money. NI didn't offer quite as much in compensation, but having a company that truly valued work-life balance and a healthy work environment really set NI apart and made it an easy choice to come work here. I also saw the kinds of people that went to "high-performance culture" companies, and they were not the kind of people I wanted to work with every day.

My first few years at NI were great, and about what I expected. But over the past couple of years, everyone on my team has started working the 50-60+ hour weeks. Our team literally had mandatory saturdays every single weekend in January. Emails frequently go out on friday afternoons telling everyone to come in on the weekend. I overheard one manager on my team bragging about how many extra man-hours of work he can get done for "free" every time he sets a mandatory weekend. Scrum is used as psychological warfare by managers, making it seem like the engineer's fault when development estimates are not met. They still have deck parties and company events, but people on my team rarely go because they are so stressed out and have so much work that they don't have the time to enjoy these things.

There seem to be a few teams left in the company where you can have good work-life balance and won't be constantly stressed out, but these are increasingly rare.

Advice to Management

If you shift to a "high-performance culture", you are going to destroy everything that set NI apart from other companies. Your people are what make NI great. NI didn't used to attract the "high-performance" mindset cut-throat type of personality, and this is what made it a pleasure to go to work every day. If you shift to a "high-performance culture", you are going to get "high-performance" mindset people. Is this really what you want?

Showing 72 of 1,195 reviews