National Instruments Reviews in Texas | Glassdoor

Texas

3.5
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Alex Davern

Pros
  • Work life balance is absolutely in the hands of the employee, with very few roles in the company having any set schedule (in 190 reviews)

• The work environment that the company promote (in 119 reviews)

Cons
  • So if a high base pay outweighs your desire for a good work life balance, this might not be the place for you (in 33 reviews)

• The "culture" is used as a reason low pay is okay (in 30 reviews)

"Great company, laid back, values employees"

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Austin, TX

Pros

National Instruments is a great company, I'm really happy here. NI really respects and values its employees. One of the motto's here is that we hire the best and the brightest, and we do. NI is extremely flexible on hours, vacation, etc. They have deck parties a few times a year where we all stop working at 4:30 and go outside, relax, and drink from NI-provided kegs of beer. Everyone here really takes the "work hard, play hard" mentality seriously.

Cons

The pay is competitive here, but it isn't the highest around. You can find higher paying jobs. You just have to ask yourself if the extra pay is worth losing all the great things about NI.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work.

"Lots of fun. High expectations."

Current Employee - Hardware Engineer in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Hardware Engineer in Austin, TX

Pros

The people who work here are amazing. I can't imagine a work environment more fun, relaxed and still so productive. The benefits package is fantastic and I could not have a better manager. NI treats there employees with respect and gives them a lot of freedom and latitude, but in return expects them to produce at a very high level. It is very obvious why NI has been on the Forbes top 100 best companies to work for 9 years in a row.

Cons

The salaries are competitive (especially for new grad hires) but the salary growth is not ideal. The management relys too heavily on the company stock making up for salary shortfalls when it has not grown nearly as quickly since the 2001 tech bust. These issues along with how long it takes people on the technical track to achieve promotionshave led to a problem with retention of new grad hires after the 5-7 year mark.

Advice to Management

Re-evaluate the salary structure (especially the company performance bonus, that formula is a joke) and add in automatic raises when people get promotions. New title should equal new salary.

3. "Highly recommend NI even though I left."

Former Employee - Product Marketing Manager in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Product Marketing Manager in Austin, TX

Pros

My co-workers, management, and products

Cons

Austin is very hot in the summer. More career opportunities ... better stock performance

Advice to Management

Keep providing opportunities for talented employees

"NI - Excellent opportunities for strong, motivated employees - weaker employees please apply elsewhere"

Current Employee - Staff Project Engineer in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Staff Project Engineer in Austin, TX

Pros

NI's a great place to work for a few reasons but most of it comes down to the people you get to work with and the responsibility/opportunities for growth that you're given. I started in the ELP (Engineering Leadership Program) and have had a ton of opportunities in a short period of time. I can't imagine any other employer giving me the chance to own important tasks or make such an impact on the organization. Where else does the CEO sit with random people at lunch to chat.

Cons

Like I said, it all comes down to the people you get to work with. There are some incredible people at NI and the organization's flat structure allows for you to interact with them easily. Unfortunately, there are also those that you would prefer not work. Not everyone can be perfect but a few of these "bad apples" do spoil the otherwise excellent work environment.

Advice to Management

We strive to hire the best and the brightest. Those individuals need to be challenged and rewarded as such. Separate the wheat from the chaff so the great employees aren't bogged down by mediocrity. Don't let NI get too process-heavy and lose its ability to think outside the box. The great employees need to be both provided the opportunities (I believe they already are) and rewarded for their performance (including appropriate pay and getting to work with other great individuals.) Just a little mediocrity or poor performance brings down the whole organization. Without focus in these areas, we risk losing our greatest asset--our employees.

5. "National Instruments rocks!"

Current Employee - R&D Manager in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - R&D Manager in Austin, TX

Pros

Direct and unfettered access to management from the CEO on down. Dr T (CEO) has always had a long term vision for NI and continually pushes the company to be innovative.

Cons

Company continues to grow & outperform but the stock value stays the same - no change in 5 years. Also the company doubles in size every 5 years and it is becoming difficult to maintain the same "feel" as we grow.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work. Continue to focus on developing new platforms and cutting edge software for our customer base.

6. "amazing place to work for"

Current Employee - Applications Engineer in Austin, TX

Pros

It is a Challenging yet fun environment

Cons

The pay is average for a lot of work

Advice to Management

Amazing management

7. "National Instruments is a great and challenging place to work."

Current Employee - Business Analyst in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Business Analyst in Austin, TX

Pros

Amazing place to start a career. Management is willing to give big responsibilities to rather inexperienced (albeit ambitious) staff. Good work life balance and respect for employees. I trust the management and that goes a long way in making NI a great place to work.

Cons

It is a rapidly growing company and some career paths are still being developed. It still has some small company ways. It is highly social which can make it hard to get started

Advice to Management

Be sure you're doing what it takes to retain top talent.

8. "Get an experience that is marketable anywhere!"

Current Employee - Applications Engineer in Austin, TX

Pros

- Learn a lot
    - Many opportunities to grow
    - Excellent atmosphere
    - Lots of training
    - Excellent experience if you want to market yourself for another job

Cons

The salary they offer is acceptable. It could be a bit higher in my opinion.

Advice to Management

I have been working there for less than a year, and I appreciate everything about this company. They really care about their employees. I cannot think of any advice at the moment.

"Wonderful to work for, difficult to leave."

Current Employee - Product Support Engineer in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Product Support Engineer in Austin, TX

Pros

Every day I get to go to work and deal with different issues. The group that I work with is very dynamic, understanding, supportive, and fun. I enjoy the products I support, and find that whenever I have questions, more senior employees are very willing to help. My role allows for very diverse iterations, between other R&D groups, customers, and many other departments. I know that NI has never layed off an employee due to ecomic reasons, so I feel very secure. My manager is supportive, both in my day-to-day work, and helping me build my career.

Cons

Coming from a non-EE/ECE/CS background, I find it difficult to break into R&D development, because my lack of credentials is a drawback even though I have gained experience on the job. The major downside is that although I have a fair bit of experience dealing with NI products, my job experience does not carry over well if I wanted to go to another company. Unfortunately, this restricts my job mobility to working for NI, or working for an NI-affiliate.

Although I have very few complaints about management, I hear from some of my work friends that this does not hold true across all departments/groups.

Advice to Management

The course you've charted seems to be appropriate and bearing fruit. Keep going.

"Great place to grow and develop"

Current Employee - Web Coordinator in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Web Coordinator in Austin, TX

Pros

The laid back environment, the individual autonomy, stability, family-orientedness, and working around such smart people. Lots of good friends, and an expectation that everyone will do their part.

Cons

Its a huge organization and things move slowly, so be prepared for a bit of corporate beauracracy. And, beause most employees are the cream of the crop, the company is slow to deal with the very few that aren't.

Advice to Management

Consider the loss of talent due to salary.

Showing 578 of 1,139 reviews