KEY NOT FOUND: coverImgAlt

National Instruments

Is this your company?

National Instruments

Add a Review

National Instruments Employee Reviews about "work life balance"

Updated Jan 22, 2021

Found 319 of over 1,969 reviews

3.8
National Instruments President and CEO Alex Davern  (no image)
Alex Davern
Pros
  • "Fantastic work/life balance and sense of community(in 284 reviews)

• "NI has a great work environment and is a place to learn a lot(in 156 reviews)

• Cons
  • "I was willing to put up with the low pay for a long time because I enjoyed the pros/benefits enough(in 46 reviews)

• "Say bye to your work/life balance(in 38 reviews)

• More Pros and Cons
    Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.

Ratings by Demographics

This rating reflects the overall rating of National Instruments and is not affected by filters.

Want more demographic options?

Reviews about "work life balance"

Return to all Reviews
    1. 5.0
      Former Intern

Great place to work

Jan 18, 2021 - Software Engineer Intern in Austin, TX
      Business Outlook

Pros

Fantastic work/life balance and sense of community.

Cons

There are places with more competitive salaries.

2. 4.0
      Former Employee, more than 3 years

Great Corporate Culture

Jan 22, 2021 - Marketing Specialist in Austin, TX
      Business Outlook

Pros

Great corporate culture where management cares about their employees and their well being. Recognition programs are good and make you feel valued. The company tries hard to maintain a good work-life balance. I enjoyed my colleagues. Benefit package is comprehensive.

Cons

Marketing salaries are not as competitive as many other companies and agencies. (Other divisions such as engineering, R&D and sales pay better.) Marketing is B2B so it can get monotonous at times.

3. 3.0
      Former Employee, more than 5 years

Great work-life balance, no company trajectory

Jan 13, 2021 - Senior Project Manager in Austin, TX
      Business Outlook

Pros

Great place for work-life balance. More layoffs happening now; however, still examples of people doing minimal work and not having an issue continuing employment.

Cons

No growth. Company reorganizes every year but still hasn't figured out how to grow from original 90's goals.

4. 3.0
      Former Employee, more than 10 years

You could do a lot worse, but unexciting and low-paying compared to alternatives

Jul 31, 2020 - Principal Software Engineer in Austin, TX
      Business Outlook

Pros

- Low-stress environment - Friendly coworkers, good culture - Great work/life balance, easy to leave work at home - Sometimes interesting work - Mature processes means projects feel well-organized (depends on team) - Opportunities to move around in R&D and try new things

Cons

- Lots of corporate-speak from upper-management, with sometimes strange focuses (like a pointless rebranding campaign) - Mature processes also means process-heavy which brings a lot of overhead - Slow-moving, mature business which is stable but unexciting - Pay is low relative to other tech companies (but so are expectations) - Lots of work areas feel unimportant and lacking in business impact

6 people found this review helpful
    5. 4.0
      KEY NOT FOUND: jobLine.self_employ-former

Good company

Dec 12, 2020 - Software Engineer in Miami, FL
      Business Outlook

Pros

There is a good work life balance

Cons

The product is boring and the code is ugly. Not much on boarding help

6. 4.0
      Current Employee, less than 1 year

Great culture and benefits, company is a little disorganized

Oct 7, 2020 - ELP Engineer (Engineering Leadership Program) in Austin, TX
      Business Outlook

Pros

The people are amazing. I've talked with a lot of different people in the company, and I have yet to have a bad experience. There's also a very healthy work/life balance. Great stock purchase plans and benefits.

Cons

NI has been doing a lot of restructuring lately, so things feel chaotic. There's confusion for who is responsible some tasks.

7. 3.0
      Former Employee, more than 10 years

I used to love it, but it's been in steady decline over the last decade.

Aug 24, 2020 - Software Engineer in Austin, TX
      Business Outlook

Pros

Life/work balance was really nice, most of the time. There were busy crunch periods with some very long weeks, but that is reasonable when it's only a couple of times a year. I found there are a lot of sharp, knowledgable, friendly, and helpful co-workers. Not everybody had an open door, so to speak, but most people were great teammates. However, I'm concerned that with NI's new performance-driven incentives, it's going to get a lot more cutthroat as employees feel pitted against each other. Time will tell on that.

Cons

They pay really low but keep giving lip service that they are working on that...for over three years now. I was willing to put up with the low pay for a long time because I enjoyed the pros/benefits enough. They are making changes but you are going to have to fight like hell to be at the very top to get the big raises and bonuses. Say bye to your work/life balance. Over the last 5 years, upper management has been having a Game of Thrones or something because they just want to bombard the staff with info on what they are doing. Once you add in those meetings, standup, team meetings, working on performance reviews, etc. I found my time had been so sliced and diced that I had very little focus time left to get actual real relevant work done. On dev work, I could have a medium-size code change I want to get in and end up with 10-20 reviewers on the pull-request, many of whom would ask questions about code that wasn't changed in this request because they just wanted to find something/anything to say, "See, I'm doing work too!" The red-tape on this would take almost two weeks to get in an uncontroversial medium-sized change. I felt I had pretty much zero autonomy in my last few years at NI.

8 people found this review helpful
    8. 3.0
      Current Employee, more than 10 years

Good hardware technology, but dated software

Dec 13, 2020 - Chief Software Engineer in Austin, TX
      Business Outlook

Pros

Work-life balance, great work environment

Cons

Dated software technology, investments gone awry have starved teams and made them fall behind

9. 4.0
      Current Employee, more than 5 years

Overall a good company to work for

May 16, 2020 - Staff Software Engineer in Austin, TX
      Business Outlook

Pros

Benefits, work life balance, people, job security

Cons

Salary is below average and will remain below average regardless of management promises. If the salary is your number one priority then this is not a good company for you.

10. 3.0
      Current Employee

The more things change, the more they stay the same...

Jul 23, 2020 - Senior Software Engineer in Austin, TX
      Business Outlook

Pros

Work/life balance is excellent; they're handling COVID well; can be working on very interesting products that enable the next advancements in technology and science.

Cons

Pay is still low in comparison to other tech companies in the area. They are trying to make it better, but simultaneously they just spent a ton of money to rebrand the company and they've been pushing our "new values" hard. Translation as Engineer: we're green not blue but nothing else is changing.

7 people found this review helpful