National Jewish Health Reviews | Glassdoor

3.5
National Jewish Health President & CEO Michael Salem MD
Michael Salem MD

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Longevity/tenure, culture, engagement of staff and community, work life balance, leadership,mission, opportunities to learn and grow are abundant (in 5 reviews)

• Lots of opportunities to learn and gain experience (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • Low pay, compared to other hospitals in the metro area (in 4 reviews)

• People are consistently scared of upper management and retaliation (in 4 reviews)

1. "A good place to work"

Former Employee - Postdoctoral Research Associate in Denver, CO
    Former Employee - Postdoctoral Research Associate in Denver, CO

I worked at National Jewish Health full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I worked both at Department of Immunology and Medicine, NJH does provide a good work place for researchers. Good café, nice library, helpful human resource persons especially if you are a scientific researcher from a foreign country who need to get a green card quickly.

Cons

Some of the labs don't have enough funding so it is always challenging for post-doctoral researchers. You can only get your 403b match after 2 years.

Advice to Management

Help those PIs to get more funding.

"Inconsistent Mangement"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Denver, CO
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Denver, CO

I worked at National Jewish Health (More than 3 years)

Pros

Friendly coworkers, great location, good salaries

Cons

Management does not support you. You are expected to do the work of three people and the there is no consistency in how much support each doctor is given

Advice to Management

Communicate and support your staff

"Nice employees, bad culture, poorly organized"

Current Employee - Lab Researcher in Denver, CO
    Current Employee - Lab Researcher in Denver, CO

I have been working at National Jewish Health full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I work with an amazing group of people. The healthcare benefits are good. Vacation is OK.

Cons

Food is not very good in the cafe, especially vegetarian options. Horrible culture--basically no one is an advocate for the brand. No bonuses for researchers. A much larger than average portion of research grants is taken for institutional funds. Salary increases are minor and it's difficult to get a raise. HR is not helpful in resolving problems. There's an insane amount of apathy and laziness amongst the different groups responsible for keeping up the research apparatus. Rules are very strict to the point where a PI has little control over how the hospital manages researchers in a lab. Purchasing is run through a single person.

Advice to Management

Reorganize the company and completely restructure the culture.

"Slipping"

I have been working at National Jewish Health full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Nice people who truly are passionate about what they do.

Cons

Saleries are not very competitive, little room for career advancement, laboratories are full of out dated equipment. There seems to be a push to want to reduce turnover however, their new "ladder system" is having the opposite effect and driving highly skilled passionate people away.

Advice to Management

Reinvest in your people, take some of the money you are syphoning out of ADX and create competitive salaries and job opportunities that will make great employees want to stay.

5. "New Hire"

Current Employee - PBX Operator in Denver, CO
    Current Employee - PBX Operator in Denver, CO

I have been working at National Jewish Health full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great organization. Friendly and helpful co-workers. Good pay.

Cons

I have not had any bad experiences since I've been here.

6. "Great Place to Work!"

I have been working at National Jewish Health full-time

Pros

National Jewish Health is the leading respiratory hospital in the nation and everyone does such great work here. It is non-profit, which is truly an amazing aspect to have in healthcare. There are opportunities for internal advancement, strong benefits package, and comparable pay to market even as a non-profit.

Cons

There are a lot of great benefits employee have and we don't necessarily see on our paycheck, however if we were reminded of what those are it might be helpful. No company is perfect and at the end of the day we should all realize we all helped contribute to the impact National Jewish Health has on our patients and community.

Advice to Management

National Jewish Health grown a ton in the last few years and please keep working to find additional space for clinics. There are currently some space transitions happening right now and we are all excited to see what those results will look like.

"Incredible Leadership and HR Support"

Current Employee - Supervisor
    Current Employee - Supervisor

I have been working at National Jewish Health full-time

Pros

My boss cares about me and looks out for me and my team.
    My colleagues are smart, motivated, and talented leaders who care about their employees.
    My staff are smart, motivated, and talented individuals working toward their career goals and they care about patients and National Jewish.
    HR supports and grows leaders.
    I don't take my work home with me.

Cons

As with all non profits, money is tight so the price of paying employees well and offering great benefits is that we don't have the fancy offices and we don't use Epic yet.

"Dynamic and growing organization with opportunity"

I have been working at National Jewish Health full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Over my time here, I have enjoyed the constantly changing business environment with continuous focus on quality of patient care and our research and educational missions. Working at a non profit organization also provides a sense of pride in being involved with a place that contributes positively to the world. Excellent work-life balance, fair compensation and family-like atmosphere among colleagues.

Cons

Some key teams are located away from the main campus location, which can be tough at times. It's a complex and somewhat siloed organization, which is compounded by being located off site.

Advice to Management

Continue to focus on creating opportunity for advancement for current employees, paying market rates and internal communication. Empower your people to make decisions by putting the needed information in their hands.

"Hard working and dedicated staff"

Pros

Hard working staff that have the best intentions for patients and research. HR department cares and does what it can to support the staff. Most of the leaders in the institution care about their staff and about the mission of the organization.

Cons

It is no surprise that management may not always practice what they preach.

Advice to Management

No one expects any one place to be perfect. The institution would benefit greatly from understanding that the department leaders are the drivers of morale and staff engagement.

"Would work there again"

Pros

This institution is mission driven, with good people, great patients, and good leadership. Staff is easy to work with. Physicians are genuine and caring.

Cons

Budgets can be tight, as is the case at all academic helath care institutions these days. Pay can be slightly lower than other health care organizations, but benefits are pretty reasonable.

Advice to Management

The institution loses some very talented and caring health care professionals because it does not adequately support them in clinical and academic settings.