National Life Group Reviews | Glassdoor

4.4
National Life Group President & CEO Mehran Assadi
Mehran Assadi

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Great work environment with employees from all levels willing to help interns learn and grow (in 7 reviews)

• Everyone is very friendly and always willing to help (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • Some of these perks apply only when you work at the home office campus in Vermont (in 5 reviews)

• Very Old School - 1970's sales training (in 5 reviews)

1. "Excellent Employee"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Montpelier, VT

I have been working at National Life Group full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Corporate culture / values - Do Go, Be Good, Make Good, social responsibility and support of the local non-profit community. It's a place where the employees still feel valued. I came from another company several years ago and the difference between a stock market driven company and NLG is huge. I tell long-term employees "they don't know how good they have it".

Cons

Employees in the Texas office sometimes feel disconnected from the Vermont office.

2. "National Life is all about the culture"

I have been working at National Life Group full-time

Pros

Open-door policy, workplace culture, work environment, opportunity for growth and development, tuition assistance, time off, PAID VOLUNTEER HOURS, gym in the building

Cons

some departments work in silos

3. "Genuinely mission-driven, culture-focused"

Current Employee - Senior Leader in Montpelier, VT
    Current Employee - Senior Leader in Montpelier, VT

I have been working at National Life Group full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

There are places where you can make more money or enjoy nice weather. But National Life is truly people-oriented, cares about its employees and lives its values. It is the only place I have worked where operational and strategic decisions are routinely made from the perspective of Do Good, Be Good, Make Good.

Cons

Remote HQ location. Technology is getting better but needs more investment.

Advice to Management

Don't stop leading with core values, they are really what makes the company stand out.

"Awesome Culture, Awesome People"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Montpelier, VT

I have been working at National Life Group full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I couldn't be more proud to work for this company. Positive culture and awesome people.

Cons

None at this time - keep up the good work!

5. "Great place to work"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Montpelier, VT

I have been working at National Life Group full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Fantastic culture & commitment to employee wellness.

Cons

Too many projects, not enough focus.

"Great People, Great Company Culture"

Current Employee - Executive Assistant in Montpelier, VT
    Current Employee - Executive Assistant in Montpelier, VT

I have been working at National Life Group full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The culture here is something most other companies wish they had. The people are great, the mission and values are purposeful, and the goals are sustainable and collaborative. There is an immense amount of opportunity here to learn and try new things - time and time again I have seen my coworkers develop into new roles or take on promotions, while others are working on their masters or taking classes to develop new skills. The benefits are unreal, between a generous amount of vacation time, paid volunteer time, health and wellness seminars onsite, hiking trails, a gym, and plenty of training, classes, and events that keep rolling throughout the year. Our leadership team gets better every day - they are driven by our CEO to be true servant leaders and are consistently invited to challenge the status quo.

I disagree strongly with one of the prior reviews stating that women don't have as many management or promotional opportunities internally. In fact, all around me I see women filling influential leadership and management roles, taking on new and challenging corporate initiatives, and have consistently reaped the benefit myself of opportunities presented to me over the last 2.5 years. If you want facts, we have one of the only female leaders IN THE INDUSTRY running Career Distribution. On a team of 7, we just had 4 female leaders plucked from their day jobs to participate in a highly intensive 'special project', with all 4 of these women receiving significant promotions after the fact. Several of our top field leaders are women running large, successful organizations and many of our Key Account Reps are women who started right here in the home office at our sales desk and had nowhere to go but up. On top of that, I have lost count of the number of women I've seen promoted from within because it really is that common.

"As a woman" I feel valued here and have opportunities to grow/move up because here it happens more organically than in other companies; it's not something I have to think about every day because it's ingrained in our culture. I feel confident that my success here is based on my qualifications and ability, not on my gender.

Cons

You either love Vermont or you don't (but there's always Dallas!).

7. "Administrative Support"

Former Employee - Administrative Assistant in Montpelier, VT
    Former Employee - Administrative Assistant in Montpelier, VT

I worked at National Life Group part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Tight-Knit, Friendly, and Energetic Coworkers make work life fun and enjoyable

Cons

Montpelier can be gloomy at times, but is close enough to Burlington with multiple transportation options to counter this.

Advice to Management

N/A

8. "Administrative Assistant"

Former Employee - Administrative Assistant
    Former Employee - Administrative Assistant

I worked at National Life Group full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Generous PTO. Vermont home office campus offers lots of employee perks like holistic education, option for standing work stations for some, work out area and impressive cafeteria. Very community driven with spirited group volunteer opportunities, and Making strides to becoming environmentally friendly.

Cons

Some of these perks apply only when you work at the home office campus in Vermont. When you work at an office of NL in another state, then you don't have access to all the campus offerings. Home Office Customer Service is challenging to reach by phone for both customers and out of state office staff alike,; hold time can be long with inconsistency in answers given depending on whom you speak with, as well as longer than is reasonable replies to questions.

Advice to Management

In many ways environmentally consciencous, except when it comes to paper.. Massive wastes of paper. Be consistent in information provided to callers, and reasonable in response time. Offices should not have to follow up on customer concerns 2-3 times in order to have them addressed.

9. "Project Assistant"

I have been working at National Life Group full-time

Pros

Best work culture I have ever experienced.

Cons

Vermont and specifically Montpelier is a remote location.

10. "Best culture, environment and opportunity of any place I have worked for"

Current Employee - Director in Montpelier, VT
    Current Employee - Director in Montpelier, VT

I have been working at National Life Group full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

National Life places great emphasis on a culture of servant leadership. Naturally, it is only as effective as its leaders, but there has been an increasing amount of focus and scrutiny on whether leaders are walking the company talk, including the use of 360 reviews for the past few years. I have work/life balance, and opportunity for promotion. The fitness facilities are outstanding, and the cafeteria is a nice perk and a great convenience.

Cons

Culture doesn't change over night, and there are still some leaders who create silos, or don't actually practice servant leadership, but NLG is doing it's best encourage culture change while still managing huge growth over the last 5 years.

Advice to Management

Continue to identify bad managers - each employee's experience of the company is only as good as their manager - and help to reeducate those who place results over servant leadership.