National Life Group Reviews | Glassdoor

Mehran Assadi
  1. "Great Benefits!"

Current Employee - Sales Representative in Montpelier, VT

I have been working at National Life Group full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Great culture to work in, constantly letting you improve yourself with classes in house, and tuition reimbursement.

Cons

Unfortunately I left because a change in management - I wouldn't hold it against NLG, these things happen.

Advice to Management

I have heard several people including Mehran the CEO himself say.... "people do quit jobs, they quit managers." They should audit some of them.

National Life Group2019-06-11

"Don't waste your time"

Former Employee - Underwriter in Burlington, VT

I worked at National Life Group full-time for more than a year

Pros

Lots to keep you busy

Cons

Sweatshop , harrassing director, values production over employees yearly scheduled vacation time

Advice to Management

Send anonymous surveys to underwriters to determine director bullying behavior tactics. Fact check resume!

National Life Group2019-06-21
  3. "Awesome place to work"

Current Employee - Senior Product Owner in Montpelier, VT

I have been working at National Life Group full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Culture, benefits, promotes doing good, gym onsite, cafeteria onsite, credit union onsite.

Cons

Politics. Probably no different than any other company.

Advice to Management

Keep up the great work!

National Life Group2019-05-10

"Great Company / Growing Pains"

Current Employee - Team Manager in Addison, TX

I have been working at National Life Group full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great company and they really do put the employee first. Everyone is very friendly, helpful and positive. The company and all employees really shares the common goals of seeing the team and business succeed. Benefits are better than average and the time off for hourly employee is 20+ days when you start. For exempt employees there is unlimited (within reason) time off.

Cons

Very outdated systems, each department is very segmented and makes working together difficult as the processes have been implemented during their time as a smaller company and now that they are growing they are trying to go back and fix. Company is very set in its ways, so when you are introducing new ideas you can be met with resistance.

Advice to Management

Truly be open to new ideas and fixing problems as they arise as opposed to putting out the small fires but not extinguishing the blaze.

National Life Group2019-02-28

"DMS"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Montpelier, VT

I worked at National Life Group full-time for less than a year

Pros

Good benefits Nice company, building atmosphere

Cons

Low pay for this position No room for growth Pushed culture rather than the work itself, some employees seemed favored over others Raises were usually based more on involvement in culture

Advice to Management

Treat employees all equal and give credit to work/production as equivalent to culture

National Life Group2019-01-14

National Life Group Response

January 17, 2019Director of Digital Branding

Thank you for your feedback. It's important to know where we need to improve. We offer several opportunities for growth for all parts of the company, but they may not be communicated effectively. Yes, culture is a big deal here, and how we show up for our customers and teammates is important to our success. Each person's contribution, however, should be valued for what they offer. Thanks again.

6. "Director"

I worked at National Life Group full-time

Pros

Great culture and people to work with.

Cons

Lack of involvement of employees on decision making

Advice to Management

Consult with the individuals that perform the tasks when making changes.

National Life Group2018-11-19

"New Business"

Current Employee - New Business in Montpelier, VT

I have been working at National Life Group full-time for more than a year

Pros

Perks: - Amount of days off just starting (22 starting) - Numerous Holidays off (Black Friday included) - Flexible work schedules - Work culture

Cons

- work is monotonous and boring (day to day life is a struggle) - poor compensation (makes you question your self worth) - Stressful end of year (management makes you work like a dog) - the day after Xmas is not off (unfair for those whose families are out of state that can't travel back the next day) - vibes of favoritism (need to be a teachers pet to move up) - distracting work environments - can't take time off... in December (only emergencies) - numbers driven mentality (your worth depends on how much you push out or what number you hit. Shouldn't have your work ethic be judged on a number)

Advice to Management

- be supportive of your employees to move up if they please and compensate them fairly - stop the favoritism - be more understanding of the work of the people working under you (making them feel guilty if they don't reach a certain goal)

National Life Group2018-12-13

National Life Group Response

December 18, 2018Director of Digital Branding

Thanks for sharing your experience. As a learning organization, we're constantly working to better serve customers—and each other. Year end is a stressful time across the industry and we appreciate your help in making it a great year. Hopefully having December 24th as a bonus paid day off this year will help you connect with family and recharge. And please take advantage of the many personal and professional development programs and classes open to all teammates listed on the Learning Loop page of National Life Today. Most importantly, reach out to your manager or anyone in the People Center with thoughts about making your career fulfilling and productive. Thank you.

8. "Quality Associate"

Current Employee - Quality Associate in Montpelier, VT

I have been working at National Life Group full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Good entry level positions Temporary positions come with benefits Room for professional growth Classes for professional growth Development and support NLG encourages good health/wellness NLG encourages good work/home balance NLG has a great culture CEO "talks the talk and walks the walk" A good company for long-term employment and growth.

Cons

Lower starting pay compared with other entry level positions

Advice to Management

Equalize entry level pay.

National Life Group2018-11-03
  9. "Internal Sales Associate"

I have been working at National Life Group full-time

Pros

Great culture to work with. Very open minded and strong senior leadership!

Cons

Keep improving employee service qualify.

National Life Group2018-10-16

"Best of all worlds"

I have been working at National Life Group full-time

Pros

NLG is a special company. As an employee, I get to work for a progressive, growing organization, while living and raising my children in the wonderful communities of Vermont. It's the best of all worlds.

Cons

NLG has very few drawbacks. There are many things that we can do better as an organization, of course, but that is part of the excitement of being at a company on the move.

National Life Group2018-10-08