National Life Group "montpelier" Reviews | Glassdoor

National Life Group Employee Reviews about "montpelier"

Updated Oct 9, 2019

4.1
National Life Group CEO Mehran Assadi
Mehran Assadi
Pros
  • "Great culture and people to work with(in 16 reviews)

• "The Vermont campus is absolutely beautiful, especially in the summer months(in 11 reviews)

Cons
  • "The Vermont campus location isn’t made for particularly everyone(in 17 reviews)

• "you would need to live anywhere between Burlington and Montpelier and make the somewhat long commute into(in 7 reviews)

Reviews about "montpelier"

Return to all Reviews
  1. "Intern"

I have been working at National Life Group

Pros

Opportunities for growth and full time employment

Cons

Low starting salary. Montpelier is very small

National Life Group2018-10-05

"Great overall experience."

Intern in Montpelier, VT

I worked at National Life Group for less than a year

Pros

Great overall experience. Very structured and meaningful internship program where interns work on real, crucial work. Plenty of scheduled development seminars. Did I mention the amazing culture.

Cons

For cons, there really aren’t any, for me at least. I can however point out that accommodation in the surrounding Montpelier is difficult to find, if you’re lucky to find it, it is expensive.

Advice to Management

Keep up the great work

National Life Group2017-10-01
  3. "Administrative Support"

Former Employee - Administrative Assistant in Montpelier, VT

I worked at National Life Group part-time for more than a year

Pros

Tight-Knit, Friendly, and Energetic Coworkers make work life fun and enjoyable

Cons

Montpelier can be gloomy at times, but is close enough to Burlington with multiple transportation options to counter this.

Advice to Management

N/A

National Life Group2017-08-04
  4. "Project Assistant"

I have been working at National Life Group full-time

Pros

Best work culture I have ever experienced.

Cons

Vermont and specifically Montpelier is a remote location.

National Life Group2017-07-17
  5. "Great Company, but tough location."

Current Employee - Actuarial Analyst in Montpelier, VT

I have been working at National Life Group full-time for less than a year

Pros

Great culture, decent work life balance, and management is very supportive of you. If you are vocal, you can take on projects that you find interesting. Hard work is rewarded.

Cons

Montpelier as a location is a little isolated, and it can get very lonely as a young adult. The YPN (Young Professionals Network) was recently created and is gaining momentum, though it can still be difficult to find a social life. You will need to actively search for things to do and places to meet people living in Vermont.

Advice to Management

Keep up the great work! From what I have seen actuarial management really has it together. I would just advise to continue to have close oversight when people first start and slowly give employees more autonomy (as is done).

National Life Group2016-11-28

"In the midst of intense culture change and adjusting well"

Former Employee -

I worked at National Life Group full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Beautiful workplace. Commitment to environmental initiatives and community involvement are outstanding. Fantastic cafeteria with culinary school on site (Vermont). Great benefits. Fairly competitive pay.

Cons

National Life Group tells its employees it's in the midst of a culture change uniting its two main campuses (Dallas, TX & Montpelier, VT) with one unified message and branding but they're not doing a great job at it. The changes I saw during my tenure were band-aids at best. Very "yay-rah-rah" in a superficial way, but not much substance behind the initiatives. Upper management is old school, marketing... approaches are outdated and clumsy. This old conservative company wants to keep up with the times, but the folks at the top are not very transparent or compassionate and not willing to let go of old ways of doing things. They tell employees that people matter most, perform countless employee surveys and focus groups, but creative, right-brained, outspoken people don't last long. This is sad because with an infusion of young, creative, blood there is so much potential. If you are very left brained and want to come and go without rocking the boat too much, National Life can be a good fit. It seems that many who have been here for a long time don't believe the "people are important" song and dance anymore, which is sad, because this company has a decent reputation and a lot of potential to attract good, creative minds, which they desperately need if they want to stay current in the industry.

Advice to Management

It seems that management only wants to hear the opinions that match their own. I was not granted an exit interview when I left. If you want to embrace culture change, you must listen to the people you say are important. All of them.

National Life Group2012-08-03