National Life Group "vermont" Reviews | Glassdoor

National Life Group Employee Reviews about "vermont"

Updated Oct 9, 2019

Found 134 reviews

4.1
National Life Group CEO Mehran Assadi
Mehran Assadi
Pros
  • "Great culture and people to work with(in 16 reviews)

• "The Vermont campus is absolutely beautiful, especially in the summer months(in 11 reviews)

Cons
  • "The Vermont campus location isn’t made for particularly everyone(in 17 reviews)

• "you would need to live anywhere between Burlington and Montpelier and make the somewhat long commute into(in 7 reviews)

Reviews about "vermont"

Return to all Reviews
  1. "Great Time at National Life"

Former Employee - National Life Group in Addison, TX

I worked at National Life Group full-time for less than a year

Pros

Great work/life balance Travel opportunities to Vermont

Cons

Not sufficient investment in professional development

National Life Group2019-10-09
  2. "Great Culture + Great People"

Current Employee - Reinsurance Administrator in Montpelier, VT

I have been working at National Life Group full-time for less than a year

Pros

Co-workers are very easy to work with and always willing to help. The culture of the company is amazing and I love coming to work every day.

Cons

I would have to say dealing with the harsh winters of Vermont, but otherwise my experience has been great.

Advice to Management

Continue with improving the culture and making coming to work fun every day.

National Life Group2019-06-08

"Best of all worlds"

I have been working at National Life Group full-time

Pros

NLG is a special company. As an employee, I get to work for a progressive, growing organization, while living and raising my children in the wonderful communities of Vermont. It's the best of all worlds.

Cons

NLG has very few drawbacks. There are many things that we can do better as an organization, of course, but that is part of the excitement of being at a company on the move.

National Life Group2018-10-08
  4. "Great company in Vermont"

I have been working at National Life Group full-time

Pros

It’s in Vermont! Great people

Cons

Limited other oppyin Vermont (but luckily National Life is a great place to be ‘stuck’)

National Life Group2018-10-06
  5. "Director level"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Montpelier, VT

I have been working at National Life Group full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

The culture and the people always rise to the top. The learning and leadership opportunities show how much the company values the employees. Tops on my list are the benefits provided, which start on your first day, and the new health center in Vermont.

Cons

I cannot think of a downside to share.

Advice to Management

Pay attention to the quiet ones.

National Life Group2018-10-03
  6. "Vice President"

Current Employee - Vice President

I have been working at National Life Group full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

National Life's culture is exceptional and truly stands out in a sea of sameness in the corporate world. This company cares about it's people, the communities that we serve and looks to do good things in the world. I've worked for two other insurance companies, one a Fortune 50 and the other a mid sized firm. By far, NLG stands out as a truly mission driven company.

Cons

Location - Vermont is beautiful but tough to get to!

Advice to Management

Stay committed to the culture and strategies that have put us on a fantastic path to success!

National Life Group2018-08-08

"Outstanding Employer"

I have been working at National Life Group full-time

Pros

National Life Group lives its values everyday, from offering 40 hours of paid volunteer time to every employee, to hosting the Do Good Fest, a music festival that benefits National Life's own cancer foundation at Central Vermont Medical Center to the charitable donation match.

Cons

I don't feel like salaries are all that competitive, especially given Vermont's high cost of living.

National Life Group2017-11-24

"Great place to work!"

I have been working at National Life Group full-time

Pros

The culture of National Life group is genuine - where people are truly committed to living the values and creating a positive and healthy employee experience. Very impressed with the high caliber of talent in the company.

Cons

Limited office locations- Vermont and Texas.

Advice to Management

Thank you for investing in the creation of a culture team - made up of volunteers from across the company to carry the culture to every colleague in our company- with a mission of 1,000+ delighted employees.

National Life Group2017-10-31
  9. "Excellent Employee"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Montpelier, VT

I have been working at National Life Group full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Corporate culture / values - Do Go, Be Good, Make Good, social responsibility and support of the local non-profit community. It's a place where the employees still feel valued. I came from another company several years ago and the difference between a stock market driven company and NLG is huge. I tell long-term employees "they don't know how good they have it".

Cons

Employees in the Texas office sometimes feel disconnected from the Vermont office.

National Life Group2017-08-09

"Great People, Great Company Culture"

Current Employee - Executive Assistant in Montpelier, VT

I have been working at National Life Group full-time for more than a year

Pros

The culture here is something most other companies wish they had. The people are great, the mission and values are purposeful, and the goals are sustainable and collaborative. There is an immense amount of opportunity here to learn and try new things - time and time again I have seen my coworkers develop into new roles or take on promotions, while others are working on their masters or taking classes to develop new... skills. The benefits are unreal, between a generous amount of vacation time, paid volunteer time, health and wellness seminars onsite, hiking trails, a gym, and plenty of training, classes, and events that keep rolling throughout the year. Our leadership team gets better every day - they are driven by our CEO to be true servant leaders and are consistently invited to challenge the status quo. I disagree strongly with one of the prior reviews stating that women don't have as many management or promotional opportunities internally. In fact, all around me I see women filling influential leadership and management roles, taking on new and challenging corporate initiatives, and have consistently reaped the benefit myself of opportunities presented to me over the last 2.5 years. If you want facts, we have one of the only female leaders IN THE INDUSTRY running Career Distribution. On a team of 7, we just had 4 female leaders plucked from their day jobs to participate in a highly intensive 'special project', with all 4 of these women receiving significant promotions after the fact. Several of our top field leaders are women running large, successful organizations and many of our Key Account Reps are women who started right here in the home office at our sales desk and had nowhere to go but up. On top of that, I have lost count of the number of women I've seen promoted from within because it really is that common. "As a woman" I feel valued here and have opportunities to grow/move up because here it happens more organically than in other companies; it's not something I have to think about every day because it's ingrained in our culture. I feel confident that my success here is based on my qualifications and ability, not on my gender.

Cons

You either love Vermont or you don't (but there's always Dallas!).

National Life Group2017-07-12