National Louis University Reviews | Glassdoor

2.5
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Nivine Megahed

1. "Adjunct faculty"

Pros

flexibility and that's pretty much it. full time existing program faculty are available and responsive

Cons

not enough courses therefore consistently planning life is difficult without a uniform schedule on which to depend

"Going down hill"

I have been working at National Louis University full-time

Pros

Good benefits, good work-life balance.

Cons

Low morale among employees. People are overworked, confused as to what management wants. Poor communication between lower level employees and leadership. Leadership looks for improvements where improvements are not needed creating chaos and high stress levels among employees. Good people are quiting or are on a verge of quiting. Micromanaging. No raises:(

Advice to Management

Please be clear what you want and let us do our jobs.

Jan 31, 2017 – Sr HR Generalist

We couldn't agree more, NLU benefits are good and the work-life balance just showcases how much of a family environment we really are. Management have made a great effort to share the strategic plan ... More

3. "Adjunct Professor"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I have been working at National Louis University part-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Well known institution. Becoming more visible and marketing the school. Stable university.

Cons

Sometime their are limited classes. Support for adjunct staff.

"Adm"

I have been working at National Louis University full-time

Pros

My co-workers, they are great group of people.

Cons

University is extremely top heavy, low enrollment but enrollment department is fully staffed.

6. "Administrative"

Former Employee - Administrative Assistant in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Administrative Assistant in Chicago, IL

I worked at National Louis University (More than 5 years)

Pros

Very good place to work

Cons

Many managers appear to busy to work with the Federal Work Study Students

Advice to Management

Have more empathy for student workers

"NLU- Ilinois"

Pros

good vacation time, tuition waiver, tuition exchange

Cons

lack of career growth, no merit increase

"Does not value employees"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I have been working at National Louis University (More than 5 years)

Pros

My coworkers and location of campus

Cons

Can barely live of the salary. Not even a cost of living raise two years in a row. Manager is the worst I have ever had. Controlling, condescending and demeaning. Various complaints to HR and director about her and nothing done.

Advice to Management

Value your employees! Pay people who have been there longer less then those who just started. Does not give team raises and then creates a whole new position despite being told we don't have budget for raises. Whole team went to management to express concerns about our terrible direct manager and absolutely nothing was done. Great coworkers but not valued whatsoever. What a shame.

Jan 31, 2017 – Sr HR Generalist

We in Human Resources value our employees and take complaints seriously. If you continue to experience problems, please reach out the HR team.

9. "Receptionist"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Milwaukee, WI
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Milwaukee, WI

Pros

Office was close to home

Cons

No pay raise in 4 years

Advice to Management

Treat people better

"It's good and hard at the same time"

Current Employee - Enrollment Specialist in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Enrollment Specialist in Chicago, IL

Pros

My supervisor and her boss are highly ethical, kind, and great motivators. I trust them and have learned a lot from them. I see that our overall management team is striving to develop more leaders like the two of them and build a more collaborative, supportive culture.

I am busy every day. For some people, that might be a Con, but I enjoy being highly engaged each day and the feeling of having accomplished a lot by the end of every day.

The PTO and benefits are very good/competitive for area colleges and universities. This includes tuition benefits after 6 months of employment.

Cons

As a staff member, you are expected to accomplish A LOT with very few resources. On top of the high expectations, the pay is mediocre.

Honestly, for a non-profit university, this institution has very high turnover in its staff. That can make building a positive environment and culture of collegiality very difficult. And while *my* bosses are awesome, a lot of the upper management has been there for far too long and have so much pressure on them that they don't have enough time to invest in their employees. Nor do they have time for their own professional development, so their management/leadership styles can be less than inspiring. I know of a handful of staff members who specifically left due to the "bullying" style of an upper manager in the Enrollment Department who has been known to make people cry.

They literally, really, actually will enroll anyone with a pulse. Doesn't exactly make you feel like you're contributing to something special when their admissions standards are so low.

Advice to Management

Invest in professional development and training for your managers. Many of them have moved up over time, but lack key skills needed to inspire and support your student-facing staff members. Walk the walk, don't just talk the talk. We see through your cheerleading and feel crapped on a lot of the time. Your encouragement doesn't mean anything if we all feel overworked and have no administrative support in our department.

Jun 14, 2016 – Director of Employment

Thank you for your honesty. We truly appreciate you and all of your colleagues in our Enrollment Department and it's great to hear of the respect you have for your manager!! NLU is committed to ... More

"Best days in the rear view mirror?"

I worked at National Louis University full-time

Pros

Once upon a time a leader in higher education innovation. Good people with good intentions. The mission is important to serve underserved populations. The new marketing campaign is cool.

Cons

The University has been on the decline for decades, but many long term employees are in denial and generally resistant to change. As a result, all efforts to bring about change and progress fail without grassroots support., Talented young faculty are scooped up by other institutions. Competitors have taken the NLU model and improved on it while NLU has stopped being the innovative place it once was. The current administration is hamstrung by years of bad management in the last twenty year.

Advice to Management

Without faculty buy in and support, it will be difficult to turn the ship around.

Jun 14, 2016 – Director of Employment

Our new marketing campaign is cool! I hope that you've seized the numerous opportunities to share your thoughts and answered the call to offer solutions as we forge ahead - if not, please do so!