National Marine Manufacturers Association Reviews | Glassdoor

Thomas Dammrich

"Manager"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

I have been working at National Marine Manufacturers Association full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Good environment and team. Issues are not controversial or demanding. Decent member support of efforts.

Cons

Home office is in another city. Commitment of membership an leadership could be better. Can be a little bureaucratic.

Advice to Management

Streamline and make the decision and work flow easier. Allow leaning forward and focus not so much on a fixed goal as the big picture.

2. "Solid place to work with nice people and good atmosphere. Lots of work to do. they need to hire more people"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I have been working at National Marine Manufacturers Association full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great people. There is a company boat each summer. There is a pension, flex-time and summer hours. great 401k match.

Cons

There was little or no training for my position. there is not a lot of training given to anyone. It is usually people are thrown into the fire. It is a small organization, so not a lot of upward mobility.

Advice to Management

give more training, be more flexible across the board, create more synergies with shows and association sides,

3. "Enjoy being part of the recovery!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I have been working at National Marine Manufacturers Association full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The co-workers are all very friendly! This is the first company that I've worked for that I can actually recognize and name nearly all of my co-workers. Sure the small size helps with this, but I've worked in offices with 100 employees and could only name a dozen employees outside of my department.

The company honestly cares about their customers. In all my past companies, we were all trying to sell something our customers could do without. Being a part of the work here is very fulfilling.

Upper and most of middle management have a clear head on how to manage a company and people. They are capable of defusing issues between employees and departments. They are not reserved about letting problematic employees, that are detrimental to the operation of the company. Management is also very approachable.

The company offers flexible hours, and during the summer they offer "Summer Hours" where you work an extra hour M-Thur, and then work a half day on Friday.

Salary is competitive, and the bonuses are REAL. (First company I've ever worked for that had a "bonus program" that actually paid on the program!)

They offer a Pension and a 401K, with matching.

President writes a blog, and is very in touch with his employees, considering he is the President of the company. Every month he holds an employee day at the HQ, while corny is still enjoyable to attend.

I feel I'm familiar with the issues "Not a Good Place to Work" had with the company. Those issues are in regards to a single individual. That employee can be difficult to work with, but management is aware of the issue. As for the religious/culture, I'm completely ignorant of this being an issue. They are tolerant of religions and cultures outside "white" "Christian" "American", and very flexible when it comes to religious prayer. Outside of that, there isn't discussion of religion, which I would be sensitive to.

Cons

Having a difficult boss can be difficult.

The work never ends within the IT world, while the rest of the company have their cycles.

The company needs more support personnel.

The review process focuses on achievement of goals, rather than job performance.

Advice to Management

Change the bi-annual review process to a more traditional process.

4. "Not a good place to work"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I worked at National Marine Manufacturers Association full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

location, several of the workers. I was fortunate as I was able to leave NMMA and was rewarded with an excellent job with great pay and benefits at my new company.

Cons

management is horrible and look out for themselves. They promote people based on religion / culture and not ability. In all the positions I have ever held at other companies, I have never been treated as poorly as at NMMA. Most of the "directors" are clueless, the president is rarely around as he is always "traveling on company business" and the insurance is horrible.

Advice to Management

get a clue as to how some of your employees treat other employees - IT area especially. If you are looking for a job in web or IT, do not consider this place.

5. "NMMA"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

Pros

Great place to learn and try new things

Cons

Not as nimble and stuck in old school mentality

Advice to Management

Need to listen to the lowest rung of the ladder as well as top managment, the place has lost focus of the staff sometimes

6. "poor management"

Pros

Pay was ok and some of the other employees were very nice, that's about it.

Cons

Management allows some employees to verbally attack other employees without repercussions.
    There are too many "managers" that really don't know how to "manage".
    Insurance is horrible if you are the main provider.

Advice to Management

Treat those as you would like to be treated. Get rid of the people who do not understand that concept. This was by far, the worst place I HAVE EVER WORKED!