National Marrow Donor Program Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

3.6
Jeffrey W Chell

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Most teams have some work from home and the dress code is basically jeans (in 8 reviews)

• There is a great feeling you get when working towards saving lives (in 8 reviews)

Cons
  • Room for improvement in work/life balance (in 4 reviews)

• Very corporate atmosphere, especially for a non-profit organization (in 6 reviews)

1. "Great benefits, people, pay and company!"

Current Employee - Scrum Master in Minneapolis, MN
    Current Employee - Scrum Master in Minneapolis, MN

I have been working at National Marrow Donor Program full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

- Helping save lives
    - People who work at this company are nice and always willing to help
    - Ongoing training and education programs
    - Sense of community at the company
    - Location
    - Good competitive pay
    - Flexibility
    - Internal opportunities so you can continue to grow within the company

Cons

Nothing big off the top of my head.... there are some people who have been at the company a long time so it is hard to get new process in place

2. "Visual Designer"

Current Employee - Visual Designer in Minneapolis, MN
    Current Employee - Visual Designer in Minneapolis, MN

Pros

They offer good benefits and virtual work culture. They are working to develop new technologies to treat blood cancers.

Cons

The marketing department has experienced a lot of turn over and multiple department reorganiations in the past two years.

3. "Great Company"

Current Employee - Administrative Assistant in Minneapolis, MN
    Current Employee - Administrative Assistant in Minneapolis, MN

I have been working at National Marrow Donor Program part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Such a great company to work for!

Cons

Can get noisy with open work space.

4. "Manager"

Current Employee - People Leader in Minneapolis, MN
    Current Employee - People Leader in Minneapolis, MN

I have been working at National Marrow Donor Program full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Colleagues, company mission, opportunity, remote work options

Cons

Ability of company to be nimble

"Salaried staff position"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Minneapolis, MN
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Minneapolis, MN

Pros

The mission is uplifting. Nice physical environment. The workspaces and neighborhood and enjoyable. Most people are truly very nice to work with.

Cons

The organization is trying to become more corporate. So we have corporate style demands for information without the tools in place to provide it. And its being demanded by the same people who made the decisions that kept us from being more corporate in the past.

The work from home benefits is nice, and the salaries are competitive, but only for certain departments. It's discouraging to see some groups enjoy parties, raises, and pats on the back while your group works evenings and weekends without recognition.

Finance management has created a complex system to track and report things. It's not scalable and doesn't fit the needs of the business. Their answer is to make little tweaks which only add to the complexity. The tools aren't in place to succeed, and requests to make improvements have met resistance. How long does this have to go on? This explains the history of high turnover.

Advice to Management

Upper management is asking the right things. Middle and lower management need to take responsibility for not having the foresight to stay ahead of the information, and need to put real tools in place to help the business, not just make demands on the employees.

"Good place, good people, a bit unstable"

Former Employee - Contract Work in Minneapolis, MN
    Former Employee - Contract Work in Minneapolis, MN

I worked at National Marrow Donor Program full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Very nice and dedicated people. Care about hearing ideas, even from those at the bottom. They listen and they are passionate.

Cons

Entry level job got monatenous. Mainly left due to company instability and fear of layoffs. Wanted to get off what seemed like a potential sinking ship. Not a fun lovely culture, never did happy hours, or parties, etc. As a non-profit, though, you've kind of got to give that up.

Advice to Management

Do whatever you can to help employees feel you're not a sinking ship. Save money in every way possible before cutting jobs and if you do cut jobs, because I understand you have to, don't focus all cuts in one or two departments, creates a major sense of fear among employees and was why I left. I grabbed a life jacket before the ship went down, and it really seemed to be sinking.

7. "Great Company, Wonderful Values"

Current Employee - Clinical Trials Assistant in Minneapolis, MN
    Current Employee - Clinical Trials Assistant in Minneapolis, MN

I have been working at National Marrow Donor Program full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I find that this company has a lot of values targeted towards the modern worker. These include: flexible work schedule, transparent leadership, and room for growth and development.

Cons

Due to its status as a non-profit, the salaries are rather limited. The location is also not ideal for those commuting from an outside suburb.

Advice to Management

There is no advice to management that I can currently think of. Thus far my experience with management has been a positive one.

8. "Contact Representative II"

Current Employee - Contact Representative II in Minneapolis, MN
    Current Employee - Contact Representative II in Minneapolis, MN

I have been working at National Marrow Donor Program full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great benefits and competitive pay compared to most call rep positions found elsewhere.

Cons

Work environment has space for improvement.

Advice to Management

Better communication

"Suffocated and Powerless - NEED TO CHANGE."

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Minneapolis, MN
    Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Minneapolis, MN

Pros

- What the company does.
    - Work from home policy
    - Good amenities (cafeteria)
    - Dress code.

Cons

-Bureaucracy
    -Dictatorial Middle Management
    -Lack of Solid Career Ladder

Advice to Management

I started at BeTheMatch fairly recently and was biased because I was looking to make a change in how I approach work. I decidedly wanted to work for a company that creates Positive Social Change. Basically does GOOD for Humanity. So I went in with my eyes closed and commitment not to be swayed by petty BS.

Here is my snapshot after being there for little over 6 months.

The team I working on is being lead by a person that lacks good engineering acumen, but fails to admit his shortcomings. Due to very rank-driven structure it is nearly impossible to get that person to admit their wrong, without risking performance review revenge.
    The company culture makes situations like that proliferate, basically letting the old timers use their status to advance and get credit for the hard work done by the people like me.

Worst thing is - I highly doubt HR will do anything about that since I am more expendable.

My plan is to use outside ranking resources such as Glassdoor to have Higher Leaders to Pay attention and make changes. I know they will.
    So Dear Executives:
    Can you take steps to make culture less Dictatorial and more Transformational? I want to ability to talk back and my managers to take criticisms. To really make a change you have to make policy changes that encourage criticism and open up lines that encourage Open Communication. Think Alan Mulally, not Richard Nixon.
    I feel suffocated and powerless.

I want to feel like I made a good decision by trusting my career with BeTheMatch. At this point I don't know if BeTheMatch are matching. I really need to see the changes are happening. The first step to recovery is admitting you have a problem. You do. Think about how many middle managers you have that have been with company less than 2 years and have kids that did not graduate college? If I do not see that, I will leave. There is no shortage of work out there for me.

"fro"

Former Employee - Administrative Specialist in Minneapolis, MN
    Former Employee - Administrative Specialist in Minneapolis, MN

I worked at National Marrow Donor Program full-time (More than a year)

Pros

They built a great office space on the Blue Line, but of you need to park it's not good or cheap--unless Director-level or above, then free underground space. Benefits are very good. Pay tends to be at lower ranges if you accept their reason of "We're a not-for-profit organization" but if they are motivated, they will come up. Work from home option is outstanding perk! Almost everyone works from home two days per week; usually Monday and Friday. No weekends or holidays if in office.

Cons

Leaders are old original staff from 1980s, who came from experience in medicine or academia; not one ever ran profitable, efficient operations outside of the organization. They are so ignorant of modern-day business and HR practices they do not have a clue to why their same practices have failed to meet goals since 2009---they just write new ones and BS how they will change---until the next report of sub-par results is due. It's bizarre to come from private (who have limited budgets based on performance, not fund raising and grant writing.)

Advice to Management

The number of transplants is not at or above 10,000 per year, as the goal has been since 2008---unable to get past 7,000---even with multiple attempts to change the exact same management behavior, because your Operations leaders (employees 2 and 5) are "maintaining their reputations." Both doing the same job, yet neither can actually execute efficient and effective OPERATIONS. The Accounting staff practices are Draconian and the most expensive wasteful processes, or lack thereof, that I have ever seen. The reporting and processing of financial activity and operations expenses is frequently, almost always, provided with a statement of "__ percentage of confidence" in the accuracy of the data. As the EIGHT senior leaders have just begun to consider setting measurements and accountability to goals. At least one, probably two of them should be let go. Stunning over staffing at Director and Senior Manager levels with four teams and LEADERS doing the same work. They complain, rightfully, about how to stop having all leaders attend the same meetings, but can't see the real problem: too many leaders.