National Multiple Sclerosis Society Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

2.8
Cyndi Zagieboylo

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Working for such a great cause is a good feeling (in 9 reviews)

• I was given a lot of great experience and opportunities (in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • They also have a high turnover rate so managers are always in and out, its hard to get work done without consistent guidance (in 11 reviews)

• No one interacts with one another (in 7 reviews)

"Development Specialist"

I have been working at National Multiple Sclerosis Society full-time

Pros

Company is one of the best nonprofits who truly provides valuable funds for programs, services, and research to helping people living with MS. The fellow staff members are usually pretty cool too.

Cons

The company went through a huge restructuring over a year ago and many reporting levels, delegation of work, and tasks have been quite messy. It's a work in progress to have positive end goals but it may be a while. Prep to report to people not in your office and prepare to take on task that are not your job.

Advice to Management

Learn the markets and the roles of your employees. Some markets need less staff while others need more staff. the structure doesn't work the same across every region.

2. "Great organization to work for."

I worked at National Multiple Sclerosis Society full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Flexible, Room for growth both personally and professionally. Working for such a great cause is a good feeling. Would work there again!

Cons

Long event weekends. As with any non profit, your heart and soul goes into it which sometimes causes an imbalance in personal and professional life.

"Top Down Leadership needs to improve"

I worked at National Multiple Sclerosis Society full-time

Pros

Generous vacation time and good compensation.

Cons

Chicken with a head cut off feeling from top management. Many people are in roles that they cannot perform.

"Great cause, poor leadership locally and nationally"

Former Employee - Vice President of Development in Waltham, MA
    Former Employee - Vice President of Development in Waltham, MA

I worked at National Multiple Sclerosis Society full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Great clients and working for a good cause

Cons

Disconnected leadership at national level. National HR is blind to issues and refuses to listen and/or support staff in local offices. Huge disparity in salaries throughout organization. Greater New England Chapter is one of the worst - low salaries, over-worked with more than 60 events a year, sheep praised and new ideas squashed. Board is blind to issues and supports chapter president and her poor leadership.

Advice to Management

Even out workloads and salaries across chapters. Support smart individuals in local offices and do not believe the BS you are spreading.

5. "Great staff and amazing cause"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I have been working at National Multiple Sclerosis Society full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- the company's mission is incredibly inspiring and meaningful
    - staff is hard-working and are the nicest people
    - work is handled in a very organized manner and all operations, strategy and planning is communicated with complete transparency and with ample opportunity for feedback from staff.

Cons

- the organization recently went through a great deal of change and you can tell that a lot of staff are still getting used to the new way of working.

Advice to Management

Keep a pulse on how staff is feeling/performing and provide more individualized attention, training, support, discipline, etc. to those who need it... don't let a few bad or stressed "apples" spoil the bunch.

"I feel valued but there are short-comings in the organization"

I have been working at National Multiple Sclerosis Society full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Fun, relaxed environment. I feel people have the freedom to be themselves which lends itself to great relationship building among peers, clients, volunteers and event participants.

Cons

There are four major items i'd like to address: lack of innovation, too much group think, too many "cooks" yet lack decision making skills and difficulty to advance within organization.

Advice to Management

It's easy to play Monday morning quarterback so I cannot fault the organization in terms of delivering the transition messaging - I believe it comes from a positive place.
    In a time when we're trying to unify I feel more separated than ever. The reporting structure is all over the board. This lends itself to miscommunication, mistrust, inconsistent and often times different messaging depending on who or what area of the country where you are reporting.
    The lack of innovation, lack of decision making and lack of interest in my presence in the organization is deflating.
    I feel a non-profit strategy consulting agency may be beneficial. With the organization being so management top heavy with employees who've been here a long time and have worked a long time with each other, i don't know how things can get better.

"Development Manager"

Former Employee - Development Manager in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Development Manager in New York, NY

I worked at National Multiple Sclerosis Society full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

If you are someone who hates accountability, likes to work remotely, likes having a boss who is in another state then this is the place for you.

Cons

Way too many to mention but some are: very low salaries, they've been operating in the red for so many years due to event reliant structure, Sr. Leadership is clueless and misguided, everyone working "remotely" has made this is organization of no accountability and employees have free reign to do whatever they want, they aligned last January to become regions not chapters but left "Chapter Presidents" in place with LARGE salaries and no purpose - no one knows what they do (even themselves) and they hold no relevance to the organization, there are meetings after meetings after meetings talking about what needs to be done, etc., and how they're going to "get there" but nothing ever gets done! They are an organization who's board is blind to the horrific morale and extremely high turnover rate (half the staff in NYC quit within the last 10 months!) and who are allowing the national president and her staff to make decisions crippling the organization. WAKE UP National Board and DO something now! It's disgraceful.

Advice to Management

This is advice to the National Board: Fire Cyndi Z and re-evaluate her entire Sr Staff. You need a new business-minded leader and Sr staff who know how to pull a business back from debt and make it strong again. Hire a "business" professional to lead this organization - not a NPO person - before it's too late.

"Just don't."

Former Employee - Development Manager
    Former Employee - Development Manager

I worked at National Multiple Sclerosis Society full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Volunteers, clients and participants are inspirational. Staff is dedicated and puts mission first.

Cons

The leadership is not included in the above statement. Innovation is not encouraged at the MS Society, and the top heavy leadership is creating and rewarding uninspired work/employees. Those employees that are "in the trenches" are making half of what their supervisors are making while being expected to do twice the amount of work. Even though I was an employee who was committed to the mission, increased revenue while in my role, and consistently given exceptional reviews, I was overlooked for growth opportunities and grossly undervalued. This was also the case for some of the most hardworking and dedicated colleagues I have ever worked for/with. It's only after having left the organization that I'm able to see just how dysfunctional and toxic the work environment created by the leadership truly was/is.

Advice to Management

Accept that the high level of employee turnover, decrease in fundraising, and awful morale is a reflection of your leadership and decision making. Those affected by MS deserve a stronger organization working for, and on behalf of them.

"programs director"

I worked at National Multiple Sclerosis Society full-time

Pros

It's a great cause . The clients and the work was very important. It gave you a reason a to come to work every single day. When things were going well, it meant people with MS were getting what they needed.

The staff really was a great group of people who really cared about each other. I doubt if I will ever be that lucky again.

Cons

Too many changes all at once. It got to be overwhelming to many of us.

Advice to Management

As long as the clients' needs come first, I will always be a fan of the Society. No matter what anyone says, keep listening to people with MS and their families.

"Events"

I worked at National Multiple Sclerosis Society full-time

Pros

Nice people who do a lot of great work.

Cons

Training is very segregating, hours of online videos and tests. They also have a high turnover rate so managers are always in and out, its hard to get work done without consistent guidance.