National Multiple Sclerosis Society Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

2.8
Cyndi Zagieboylo

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "Working for such a great cause is a good feeling" (in 9 reviews)

• "I was given a lot of great experience and opportunities" (in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • "When I was in the office, there was a high turnover of former employees as the organization restructured itself" (in 13 reviews)

• "You also work long hours and often on nights and weekends to host events" (in 5 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Human Resources"

I worked at National Multiple Sclerosis Society full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Focused company with a great mission. Detailed strategic plans made it easier to achieve goals. The mission was at the forefront of everything we did. Transparency is of utmost importance. I was very happy with my position, achievable goals, and review process. The benefits were great. Working there, you can tell that all employees are extremely important to upper management. The MS Society truly makes a difference for people with MS.

Cons

Nothing I can think of.

"Administrative Assistant"

Former Employee - Administrative Assistant in Burlington, MA
    Former Employee - Administrative Assistant in Burlington, MA

I worked at National Multiple Sclerosis Society part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Convenient location, friendly staff members, great training system so as to best complete task given. Great work environment full of helpful people; an all round great place to work.

Cons

Well to be honest there really isn't much in way of cons to put. The only real issue i had is that i couldn't stay longer because the position was only temporary.

Advice to Management

N/A

"Do work that makes a difference in people's lives"

Current Employee - Solutions Architect in Denver, CO
    Current Employee - Solutions Architect in Denver, CO

I have been working at National Multiple Sclerosis Society full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

opportunity to help people affected by a disease, flexible hours colleagues committed to a cause, flexible hours, competitive paid time off, exceptional team mates, focused effective leadership in my division, professional and collaborative environment.

Cons

Decision making by executive team is very slow. Middle managers are not engaged and poorly trained.

"Development Manager"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA

I worked at National Multiple Sclerosis Society full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great benefits, working for an amazing cause

Cons

The society went through change management and that is fine, however the management chooses to ignore anything that happening to the individuals at the office. Don't work there if you like autonomy.

Advice to Management

Start over and listen to the people who care. You think too much about yourselves.

"Operations"

I worked at National Multiple Sclerosis Society full-time

Pros

The only good thing about working there were the people I worked with and those I met who lived each day with MS.

Cons

Where to start...$9M in one year on corporate travel, CEO Cyndi Zabieboylo's salary $485K+, CEO was a dictator, upper management, human resources was a cluster, when harassed by a co-worker it was hushed under the rug since she was an attorney. NEVER WORK THERE!!!

Advice to Management

Get rid of the little tyrant who you have as your CEO. She is a narcissist and her fake crying does nothing to help employees feel better about their jobs.

"Would not recommend!"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Waltham, MA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Waltham, MA

I worked at National Multiple Sclerosis Society full-time

Pros

Parking was always available and plentiful

Cons

I could not stand working here for as long as I had to. Very corporate/cold environment and supervision was a joke.

"Making a real difference"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I have been working at National Multiple Sclerosis Society full-time (More than a year)

Pros

-Mission, values and vision are all incredibly motivating and inspiring.
    -Professional Development encouraged and many options and resources available to support growth.
    -Events, programs and services, research, advocacy...exposure to all areas of work of non-profit and seeing a difference made in people's lives across country/globe.

Cons

There are always areas to improve upon with communication. I think the effort is there, but perhaps leadership could tap into other areas of workforce when devising new policy or communication plans to take into account other people's experiences/perspectives.

Advice to Management

Do 360 reviews so there is top-down and bottom-to-top accountability to uphold our workplace norms/practices/values.

"The organization is doing great things."

Former Employee - Development in Philadelphia, PA
    Former Employee - Development in Philadelphia, PA

I worked at National Multiple Sclerosis Society full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The flexibility to manage your schedule.

Cons

I believe there need to be more diversity.

Advice to Management

It is not hard to say hi to your employees.

"Lacking Leadership and Clear Direction"

Former Employee - Senior Manager
    Former Employee - Senior Manager

I worked at National Multiple Sclerosis Society full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The MS Society provided clear advancement for me in my career when I first started with the organization. 90% of the leaders do care about the staff. Pay is decent (not great) and time off is amazing. The previous flex work schedule was also a big plus.

Cons

Systems constantly change. There are over 60 individuals making 6 figure salaries (SMLT), but mid-level staff rely on other team members leaving in order to advance or get to the middle of their salary. It would have taken me 6+ years at my level to get to the "mid-range" of salary. Nothing is consistent and things constantly change because of decreasing donations. Everything is being templated throughout the organization for a "one size fits all mentality." Marketing and PR is a HUGE issue but not seen as a problem.

Advice to Management

Stop spinning in circles by "moving the work forward." Make clear, concise decisions and be focused on numbers and relationships to fund more services and research for the people impacted by MS. Create best practices that can be formed to each area based on what works best for that community.

"Be clear about your personal money up front"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

I worked at National Multiple Sclerosis Society full-time (More than a year)

Pros

In the fundraising department they are moving in a direction to plan your daily activities and direct strategy. If you are not a creative person, this will be a great job for you will clear guidelines and benchmarks. Some one in the national office decides what your materials look like, when your emails are to go out and what they should say, allowing you to concentrate on your tasks.

Cons

Be prepared you will be expected to use your personal money for a lot of expenses but aren't clear about the rules up front. For example, you are expected to use your cell phone for the operation of your job, but the organization doesn't provide a contribution to your bill. Just be very clear up front about what you will do and won't with you personal money and work with your supervisor in advance to figure that out. After building an enormous expense report close to $5K leading up to a special event, my supervisor shared that she never uses her own money and takes out petty cash.