National Multiple Sclerosis Society Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

2.7
Cyndi Zagieboylo

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Working for such a great cause is a good feeling (in 10 reviews)

• I was given a lot of great experience and opportunities (in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • When I was in the office, there was a high turnover of former employees as the organization restructured itself (in 13 reviews)

• You also work long hours and often on nights and weekends to host events (in 5 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Human Resources"

I worked at National Multiple Sclerosis Society full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Focused company with a great mission. Detailed strategic plans made it easier to achieve goals. The mission was at the forefront of everything we did. Transparency is of utmost importance. I was very happy with my position, achievable goals, and review process. The benefits were great. Working there, you can tell that all employees are extremely important to upper management. The MS Society truly makes a difference for people with MS.

Cons

Nothing I can think of.

2. "Making a real difference"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I have been working at National Multiple Sclerosis Society full-time (More than a year)

Pros

-Mission, values and vision are all incredibly motivating and inspiring.
    -Professional Development encouraged and many options and resources available to support growth.
    -Events, programs and services, research, advocacy...exposure to all areas of work of non-profit and seeing a difference made in people's lives across country/globe.

Cons

There are always areas to improve upon with communication. I think the effort is there, but perhaps leadership could tap into other areas of workforce when devising new policy or communication plans to take into account other people's experiences/perspectives.

Advice to Management

Do 360 reviews so there is top-down and bottom-to-top accountability to uphold our workplace norms/practices/values.

3. "The organization is doing great things."

Former Employee - Development in Philadelphia, PA
    Former Employee - Development in Philadelphia, PA

I worked at National Multiple Sclerosis Society full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The flexibility to manage your schedule.

Cons

I believe there need to be more diversity.

Advice to Management

It is not hard to say hi to your employees.

"Was a good company until change management happened"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I worked at National Multiple Sclerosis Society full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

working for a great cause

Cons

the CEO and senior level management

Advice to Management

stop listening to yourselves

"Lacking Leadership and Clear Direction"

Former Employee - Senior Manager
    Former Employee - Senior Manager

I worked at National Multiple Sclerosis Society full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The MS Society provided clear advancement for me in my career when I first started with the organization. 90% of the leaders do care about the staff. Pay is decent (not great) and time off is amazing. The previous flex work schedule was also a big plus.

Cons

Systems constantly change. There are over 60 individuals making 6 figure salaries (SMLT), but mid-level staff rely on other team members leaving in order to advance or get to the middle of their salary. It would have taken me 6+ years at my level to get to the "mid-range" of salary. Nothing is consistent and things constantly change because of decreasing donations. Everything is being templated throughout the organization for a "one size fits all mentality." Marketing and PR is a HUGE issue but not seen as a problem.

Advice to Management

Stop spinning in circles by "moving the work forward." Make clear, concise decisions and be focused on numbers and relationships to fund more services and research for the people impacted by MS. Create best practices that can be formed to each area based on what works best for that community.

"Be clear about your personal money up front"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

I worked at National Multiple Sclerosis Society full-time (More than a year)

Pros

In the fundraising department they are moving in a direction to plan your daily activities and direct strategy. If you are not a creative person, this will be a great job for you will clear guidelines and benchmarks. Some one in the national office decides what your materials look like, when your emails are to go out and what they should say, allowing you to concentrate on your tasks.

Cons

Be prepared you will be expected to use your personal money for a lot of expenses but aren't clear about the rules up front. For example, you are expected to use your cell phone for the operation of your job, but the organization doesn't provide a contribution to your bill. Just be very clear up front about what you will do and won't with you personal money and work with your supervisor in advance to figure that out. After building an enormous expense report close to $5K leading up to a special event, my supervisor shared that she never uses her own money and takes out petty cash.

"Great organization that lost it’s way over the last three years."

Pros

Competitive salary and benefits
    Strong core values for a non-profit organization

Cons

Top-level mismanagement
    Mid-level management is not as strong as it use to be
    Re-alignment caused too much of a pendulum shift that will significantly damaged the core of the organization

"Love the job"

I have been working at National Multiple Sclerosis Society part-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Excellent benefits especially paid time off. Competitive pay. Opportunity for career growth and rewarding responsibilities. good CEO leadership

Cons

none that are worth mentioning

"Very sad what has happened at NMSS"

Former Employee - Fundraising
    Former Employee - Fundraising

I worked at National Multiple Sclerosis Society full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Wonderful cause, doing good work for people and research.

Cons

Management is out of touch with reality of how things work in local chapters. Reorganization has created silos where people working in the same office do not communicate or share information. Attempt at centralization has caused breakdown of relationships at the local level.

Advice to Management

Examine the consequences of the changes that have been made to date and course correct before it is too late.

"Bottomless Frustration"

I have been working at National Multiple Sclerosis Society full-time

Pros

Comfortable work environment, flexible hours and schedule, engaging work, good health insurance, strong firewall between the organization and pharmaceutical manufacturers, the organization's reputation is mostly positive

Cons

High turnover, poor staff management, exemplary work is not rewarded or recognized, employees are generally unhappy with the organization, staff morale is dwindling, fundraising efforts have not been able to keep the budget stable and new strategies for revenue generation are not being pursued, benefits have been repeatedly reduced or cut, the staff is not diverse - it's mostly white women, too much staff time is spent on internal matters instead of actual work, time spent working for the organization is valued more than professional competence, career paths are uncertain - don't expect to get promoted, wages don't keep pace with inflation, expectations for staff are high and ever-increasing while compensation is stagnant, departments are compartmentalized and trying to work across departments is met with resistance and apathy, people are hired as Managers and Directors even though they supervise 0 people

Advice to Management

Treat your staff better, recognize the work that is being done, understand that staff turnover is a huge problem and put more effort into retaining and developing staff, provide departments with the resources they need to be successful