National Multiple Sclerosis Society Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated November 26, 2018

2.8
Cyndi Zagieboylo

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "A great place to feel like you are making a difference in the lives of those with MS" (in 9 reviews)

• "Friendly work environment and very nice people" (in 9 reviews)

Cons
  • "When I was in the office, there was a high turnover of former employees as the organization restructured itself" (in 13 reviews)

• "You also work long hours and often on nights and weekends to host events" (in 5 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Human Resources"

I worked at National Multiple Sclerosis Society full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Focused company with a great mission. Detailed strategic plans made it easier to achieve goals. The mission was at the forefront of everything we did. Transparency is of utmost importance. I was very happy with my position, achievable goals, and review process. The benefits were great. Working there, you can tell that all employees are extremely important to upper management. The MS Society truly makes a difference for people with MS.

Cons

Nothing I can think of.

"NON-PROFIT"

Former Employee - Executive Assistant in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Executive Assistant in Chicago, IL

I worked at National Multiple Sclerosis Society full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

It gives you the opportunity to help others while helping yourself.

Cons

There were no cons working there.

Advice to Management

Continue to solicit input from staff

"Manager"

Current Employee - Manager in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Manager in Chicago, IL

I have been working at National Multiple Sclerosis Society full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great mission, constituents, volunteer leaders and local staff.

Cons

Staff resources are spread way too thin.

"Culture and morale faltering, but mission is amazing."

Former Employee - Development Manager
    Former Employee - Development Manager

I worked at National Multiple Sclerosis Society full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Working with my functional team on Walk MS was amazing. We collaborated and shared ideas across many different states. I learned a lot and felt like my contributions were appreciated and respected.

Cons

Working across multuple revenue streams creates more meetings than anyone should ever be expected to participate in and blended roles are not feasiable in the current management structure.The President of the region has created a toxic culture and staff are leaving in hordes. The expectation of departments working together isn't actually enforced. Lots of confusion of what is going on in other parts of the country and what expectations are because of a lack of communication. Realigned as a national organization with marketing being under the leadership of the national office, but fundraising is still regional...makes no sense. HUGE identity crisis.

Advice to Management

Rethink your matrix management system or eliminate blended roles. Rethink the need for regional Presidents/ED's or create a clearer description of what they are actually supposed to be doing. Take your staff's concerns, comments, and questions seriously and worked harder to improve the work culture.

"Senior Leadership Double Talk"

I have been working at National Multiple Sclerosis Society full-time

Pros

Positive mission and most people want to make a difference. Jeans dress code throughout the year. Decent benefits (although changing) and generous paid time off.

Cons

Senior Leadership claims to want to talk straight and have honest conversations. When you embrace this you are usually treated poorly if your opinion is not aligned with that of the executive team. The cliques are pretty bad and rarely do people work outside their job's department. Collaboration is not executed in an efficient way and decisions take much too long. Culture is poor and the executive team contributes to this extensively by chastising employees for trying new things that aren't a success, wasting time over formats and wording, and even deliberately embarrassing staff.

Advice to Management

Learn to respect all of your staff through actions and not your words. You should take responsibility for leading the organization. And most importantly, listen to your staff if you truly believe in talking straight.

6. "Slow pace but good benefits"

I worked at National Multiple Sclerosis Society full-time

Pros

Generally, good people with a heart for service

Cons

The technology was out of date and the overall pace of business was too slow for my liking.

"-"

I have been working at National Multiple Sclerosis Society full-time

Pros

Better pay than most nonprofits

Cons

Lots of work needs to be done on leadership and company moral.

"Cookie Cutters are for Cookies"

I worked at National Multiple Sclerosis Society full-time

Pros

Important cause with wonderful community support that is making a difference in peoples lives. Some of the new changes being made are helping smaller offices without resources. Track record of producing successful programs, services and events

Cons

Culture is being completely changed with lack of regard for the people. Upper Management says the staff is the most valuable resource but actions don't follow. Fundraising is subject to many factors outside of human control (weather, economy, timing, etc) but lack of experience from talking heads

Advice to Management

Be kind. Be honest. Stop the cliques. Leave the cookie cutters for the bakers. Continue to reverse poor HR decisions. If you ask staff how they feel, don't be surprised if they tell you the truth and don't punish them for speaking the truth. Allow local benefits with low cost, high value to employees. Beware of things done for the sake of appearances or as a symbolic gesture.

"Senior Management Team member. Nineteen years with the organization."

Former Employee - Vice President in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Vice President in Austin, TX

I worked at National Multiple Sclerosis Society full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Important mission and many wonderful volunteers, especially at the “hands on” level. For both employees and volunteers there are opportunities for professional learning. Pay and health benefits for employees are competitive. There are some meaningful attempts at transparency in decision making. There is a level of professionalism sometimes lacking in non profits. The Society is the largest funder of MS research in the world. Most treatments would not exist without their support. So - there is pride in being part of that.

Cons

I had a good career at the MS Society. I performed work I was proud of. I had a chance to make the world a better place, and to use my best skills in the service of those things But- I still struggle with the bad taste left in my mouth at the end of a nearly 20 year career. Here’s why:
    1) I was part of a senior management team that met regularly. There were many on the team that out ranked me. Yet I was a member. And I contributed. On my departure (voluntary) the CEO refused to acknowledge my departure with an email. A courtesy she gave others on the team with a higher rank. Am I on the team or not? —- Gut punch.
    2) I attended a last meeting of my local leadership team at which the CEO informed my supervisor he should have given me “a pass”. I was still a loyal advocate. Why exclude me? Just because I’m leaving doesn’t mean I can’t contribute. I’d get it if I was fired but....
    3) I got no exit interview. Seriously? 19 years? Come on

"Great Mission"

I worked at National Multiple Sclerosis Society full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

mission focused, but also large focus on fundraising events; supportive of people with MS, advocacy and research focuses where they needed to be

Cons

a lot of changes have happened since I have been there, but when I was there, ineffective leadership was allowed to stay in their jobs even after various complaints were filed; lots of turnover and burn out.

Advice to Management

Listen to staff who have concerns