KEY NOT FOUND: coverImgAlt

National Nurses United Reviews

Updated Mar 18, 2022

Found 46 of over 48 reviews

3.6
National Nurses United Co-President Deborah Burger  (no image)
Deborah Burger

Top Review Highlights by Sentiment

Pros
  • "Good pay.(in 5 reviews)
  • "You get an amazing salary, per diem for meals, hotel stay is covered, rental car, etc.(in 4 reviews)
  • "The pay and benefits are also great.(in 4 reviews)
Cons
  • "Management constantly tells you that 'you are doing great' and 'its not about the numbers' but take that with a grain of salt because they do care.(in 4 reviews)
Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.
  1. 5.0
    Current Employee

Greatest job I ever had

Mar 18, 2022 - Union Labor Representative in Washington, DC
    Business Outlook

Pros

We get paid to organize workers to fight back against oppression.

Cons

It is very hard work.

2. 4.0
    Current Employee, more than 5 years

Good Principles. Good Pay. Workload is heavy

Dec 21, 2021 - Union Labor Representative
    Business Outlook

Pros

You get to work for an organization with great morals and principles. You have meaning in your work. There can be a sense of fulfillment doing the work.

Cons

Workload is heavy. At times, unmanageable. You need tough skin.

3. 2.0
    Former Employee, more than 5 years

Changes

Aug 16, 2021 - Organizing Manager
    Business Outlook

Pros

Used to be a real fighting union, but all of the leadership with union bona fides have left. Now they struggle and the infighting between the various divisions is vicious. Money is really good, the benefits are excellent. Some of the directors are terrific.

Cons

Office politics are rough and the mindset is cultish. You're either with them or the enemy. There is no debate on anything, so just take your marching orders and do as youre told.

4. 4.0
    Former Employee, more than 1 year

Senior

Mar 9, 2021 - Organizer in San Diego, CA
    Business Outlook

Pros

Pay and time off was excellent

Cons

Work from home can be very stressful

5. 5.0

Challenging but rewarding

Aug 1, 2020 - Anonymous Employee in Oakland, CA
    Business Outlook

Pros

A job you can believe in. One of the most militant and successful unions in the country. Extremely rewarding. Good pay.

Cons

Can be high pressure and exhausting at times. Regularly long hours and never really off the clock. Be prepared to sacrifice for the work.

1 person found this review helpful
  6. 1.0
    Former Employee, more than 3 years

HORRIBLE

Feb 10, 2020 - Anonymous Employee in Oakland, CA
    Business Outlook

Pros

Decent pay and free on-site parking in Oakland

Cons

Hmmm interesting that eleven 5 star reviews were posted in the month of October. Do yourself a favor and click through and read the actual reviews left by employees over the years. Management constantly denies work-life balance. They advocate for nurses well being and rights, while ignoring their staff's concerns. The internal politics are distracting from the real work that needs to be done. Over-involved upper management leaves people walking on egg shells and unable to make decisions without being worried of repercussions. Lastly, there is a better use of members dues than sending the executive board to a fancy resort with steak and lobster for a "meeting".

8 people found this review helpful
  7. 5.0
    Current Employee, more than 10 years

Challenging but most importantly Rewarding

Nov 11, 2019 - Labor Representative in San Diego, CA
    Business Outlook

Pros

One of the most important aspects of a good work life for me is having great coworkers. I work with an amazing team of labor representatives who help each other and are supportive of one another. As I’m gaining more experience in navigating through a tumultuous time in the labor movement, my lead and director have given me guidance and support. I feel like my work as well as my voice is respected and that has helped the quality in my work. Additionally, the new Executive Director, who is an RN, is taking the organization towards a more inclusive path which I appreciate.

Cons

While I do work with amazing people that I highly regard, the work is naturally challenging. It is a rollercoaster of experiences when being a labor rep because of the anti union environment that we are all in. However, if you’re up for a challenge, can maintain a good work life balance, and want to work with amazing people this is the place for you!

8. 5.0
    Current Employee, more than 1 year

Professional, radical, supportive

Oct 22, 2019 - Labor Representative in Los Angeles, CA
    Business Outlook

Pros

I've worked for several different unions and CNA has provided me with the best experience by far. I've been here one year and have always felt supported and that my contribution is valued. I believe in our mission and see that CNA is a nurse-driven union that puts the movement first. I feel fortunate to work here every day.

Cons

As with any union job, the travel and irregular hours can be challenging

9. 5.0
    Current Employee, more than 3 years

I feel valued and respected

Oct 23, 2019 - Organizer in Tampa, FL
    Business Outlook

Pros

National Nurses United really values all staff members. I am a father and the leadership of the union is very supportive when It comes to taking time off to be with the kids. I was most surprised when I started working here how much freedom I have to do my work. I never felt like I am being micromanaged. The leadership has trust in the staff to be able to get the work done. Whenever I need help I have always gotten the support that I need. I like that National Nurses United is a large organization so there is the ability to relocate to a number of states if I wanted to. Another perk of working for a large organization is the ability to transfer to a different position to learn new skill sets.

Cons

I can not think of any.

10. 5.0
    Current Employee, more than 3 years

I feel lucky to work here!

Oct 21, 2019 - Labor Representative in Oakland, CA
    Business Outlook

Pros

Nurses are the best people to represent. They are smart, hard working, and no nonsense. There's a reason why they are the most trusted professionals every year. I never have to worry if I'm in the wrong side of issues, which is not always the case in every union. My division is diverse and full of amazing staff who cares about everything that human beings should and have the talent and smarts to get things done! I always feel like my superiors want me to succeed. Reading some of the more negative reviews, it makes me think that it's a completely different organization than the one I see every day. If you are considering a job at CNA/NNU, know that you will be valued, you will learn a lot, and you will have one of the most rewarding work you'll ever have.

Cons

Really none so far.

Viewing 1 - 10 of 46 Reviews

National Nurses United Reviews FAQs

National Nurses United has an overall rating of 3.6 out of 5, based on over 48 reviews left anonymously by employees. 63% of employees would recommend working at National Nurses United to a friend and 68% have a positive outlook for the business. This rating has decreased by -9% over the last 12 months.

According to anonymously submitted Glassdoor reviews, National Nurses United employees rate their compensation and benefits as 4.4 out of 5. Find out more about salaries and benefits at National Nurses United. This rating has decreased by -5% over the last 12 months.

63% of National Nurses United employees would recommend working there to a friend based on Glassdoor reviews. Employees also rated National Nurses United 3.0 out of 5 for work life balance, 3.7 for culture and values and 3.6 for career opportunities.

According to reviews on Glassdoor, employees commonly mention the pros of working at National Nurses United to be coworkers, benefits, compensation and the cons to be management, diversity and inclusion, senior leadership.