National Nurses United Reviews | Glassdoor

National Nurses United Reviews

Updated Feb 10, 2020

4.2
National Nurses United Co-President Deborah Burger  (no image)
Deborah Burger

"Challenging but most importantly Rewarding"

Current Employee - Labor Representative in San Diego, CA

I have been working at National Nurses United full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

One of the most important aspects of a good work life for me is having great coworkers. I work with an amazing team of labor representatives who help each other and are supportive of one another. As I’m gaining more experience in navigating through a tumultuous time in the labor movement, my lead and director have given me guidance and support. I feel like my work as well as my voice is respected and that has helped the quality in my work. Additionally, the new Executive Director, who is an RN, is taking the organization towards a more inclusive path which I appreciate.

Cons

While I do work with amazing people that I highly regard, the work is naturally challenging. It is a rollercoaster of experiences when being a labor rep because of the anti union environment that we are all in. However, if you’re up for a challenge, can maintain a good work life balance, and want to work with amazing people this is the place for you!

National Nurses United2019-11-11

"HORRIBLE"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Oakland, CA

I worked at National Nurses United full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Decent pay and free on-site parking in Oakland

Cons

Hmmm interesting that eleven 5 star reviews were posted in the month of October. Do yourself a favor and click through and read the actual reviews left by employees over the years. Management constantly denies work-life balance. They advocate for nurses well being and rights, while ignoring their staff's concerns. The internal politics are distracting from the real work that needs to be done. Over-involved upper management leaves people walking on egg shells and unable to make decisions without being worried of repercussions. Lastly, there is a better use of members dues than sending the executive board to a fancy resort with steak and lobster for a "meeting".

National Nurses United2020-02-10

"Professional, radical, supportive"

Current Employee - Labor Representative in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at National Nurses United full-time for more than a year

Pros

I've worked for several different unions and CNA has provided me with the best experience by far. I've been here one year and have always felt supported and that my contribution is valued. I believe in our mission and see that CNA is a nurse-driven union that puts the movement first. I feel fortunate to work here every day.

Cons

As with any union job, the travel and irregular hours can be challenging

National Nurses United2019-10-22
  4. "I feel valued and respected"

Current Employee - Organizer in Tampa, FL

I have been working at National Nurses United full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

National Nurses United really values all staff members. I am a father and the leadership of the union is very supportive when It comes to taking time off to be with the kids. I was most surprised when I started working here how much freedom I have to do my work. I never felt like I am being micromanaged. The leadership has trust in the staff to be able to get the work done. Whenever I need help I have always gotten the support that I need. I like that National Nurses United is a large organization so there is the ability to relocate to a number of states if I wanted to. Another perk of working for a large organization is the ability to transfer to a different position to learn new skill sets.

Cons

I can not think of any.

National Nurses United2019-10-23
  5. "Practice Your Passion For Organizing and Representing Workers in Hospitals"

Current Employee - Labor Representative in San Diego, CA

I have been working at National Nurses United full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

The CNA/NNU will allow you to get out there and do what you love most. If you love to organize workers and mobilize a good action and represent the workers and get behind those leading and push then you will love it here. We fight and we win. You can come here and have a very long career like me.

Cons

Have your rhythm in life and your commitments in check. That balance is essential for this job or else its a no go.

National Nurses United2019-10-23
  6. "Come for the Fight, Stay for the Politics"

Current Employee - Organizer

I have been working at National Nurses United full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

After working in multiple jobs in multiple sectors, I can confidently say that CNA/NNU has been the best job that I've not only had, but even heard about. I don't know any other organizations and careers wherein 1) you don't need to compromise class struggle and racial justice politics as well as 2) be sustained in your work. I've seen and heard of several jobs that can offer maybe one or the other, but almost never both. Provided you are committed to helping nurses fight the boss on behalf of their patients and the larger working class, then this is the place for you.

Cons

I don't see this as much of a "con," but you should expect to work hard to help advance nurses' fights on behalf of their patients. But between very good vacation, sick, and personal days benefits in addition to regular breaks (if organizing on the road), we have opportunities to recharge beyond anything I've seen in comparable organizations.

National Nurses United2019-10-22

"Great place to fight for justice!"

Current Employee - Labor Representative in Oakland, CA

I have been working at National Nurses United full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

A great place to work if you are interested in an organization that is on the leading edge of fighting for social justice and Medicare for All. In most other labor organizations that I've been a part of, I've felt like we were spinning our wheels. At CNA/NNU I've always felt like we're making a difference in fighting for what's right especially in the age of Trump

Cons

Yes, you will be be busy and this is not a cushy job like a lot of other unions. But the rewards of being part of an effective fighting organization make up for all of the hard work

National Nurses United2019-10-19
  8. "I feel lucky to work here!"

Current Employee - Labor Representative in Oakland, CA

I have been working at National Nurses United full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Nurses are the best people to represent. They are smart, hard working, and no nonsense. There's a reason why they are the most trusted professionals every year. I never have to worry if I'm in the wrong side of issues, which is not always the case in every union. My division is diverse and full of amazing staff who cares about everything that human beings should and have the talent and smarts to get things done! I always feel like my superiors want me to succeed. Reading some of the more negative reviews, it makes me think that it's a completely different organization than the one I see every day. If you are considering a job at CNA/NNU, know that you will be valued, you will learn a lot, and you will have one of the most rewarding work you'll ever have.

Cons

Really none so far.

National Nurses United2019-10-22

"Place to be if you want to be part of building a social movement and have fun while doing it"

Current Employee - Labor Representative/Organizer

I have been working at National Nurses United full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Having worked for different unions before coming to CNA/NNU, it helps to have some perspective. Firstly, we do this work because we are passionate about the work. I Have worked for other unions where the leadership of the union is not working towards improving conditions for the members and that is disheartening, but that will never be the case here - you will be engaged in righteous fights at all times! On a personal level, other unions operate with the expectation that you can't have a personal life/family if you are engaged in social justice work. We work hard here, no doubt, but there is a balance. In fact, there are a number of people as peers or in leadership positions who have young children and I feel encouraged by that.

Cons

Not necessarily a con, but as a labor rep you do juggle various roles/responsibilities - organizing, handling of grievances, community organizing work, and bargaining. At other unions, the work is fragmented into different departments and a labor rep doesn't necessarily do all of the mentioned above. However, I feel like in order to develop skills and be versatile, it is important to have knowledge of all that goes into representing members and building the union and helps with never being bored!

National Nurses United2019-10-15

"Love My Job, Love This Org"

Current Employee - Organizer in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at National Nurses United full-time for more than a year

Pros

Getting to do important movement work, inspiring to help nurses build power in their facilities and communities, competitive pay, great benefits, passionate co-workers, union contract.

Cons

Can be very demanding at times, but that's campaign work for ya. If there is a filing deadline or a strike there is a lot of work to do and you might not sleep much.

National Nurses United2019-10-14