KEY NOT FOUND: coverImgAlt

National Nurses United Reviews

Updated Aug 16, 2021

Found 44 of over 46 reviews

4.0
National Nurses United Co-President Deborah Burger  (no image)
Deborah Burger
  1. 5.0

Challenging but rewarding

Aug 1, 2020 - Anonymous Employee in Oakland, CA
    Business Outlook

Pros

A job you can believe in. One of the most militant and successful unions in the country. Extremely rewarding. Good pay.

Cons

Can be high pressure and exhausting at times. Regularly long hours and never really off the clock. Be prepared to sacrifice for the work.

2. 2.0
    Former Employee, more than 5 years

Changes

Aug 16, 2021 - Organizing Manager
    Business Outlook

Pros

Used to be a real fighting union, but all of the leadership with union bona fides have left. Now they struggle and the infighting between the various divisions is vicious. Money is really good, the benefits are excellent. Some of the directors are terrific.

Cons

Office politics are rough and the mindset is cultish. You're either with them or the enemy. There is no debate on anything, so just take your marching orders and do as youre told.

3. 4.0
    Former Employee, more than 1 year

Senior

Mar 9, 2021 - Organizer in San Diego, CA
    Business Outlook

Pros

Pay and time off was excellent

Cons

Work from home can be very stressful

4. 5.0
    Current Employee, more than 8 years

Place to be if you want to be part of building a social movement and have fun while doing it

Oct 15, 2019 - Labor Representative/Organizer
    Business Outlook

Pros

Having worked for different unions before coming to CNA/NNU, it helps to have some perspective. Firstly, we do this work because we are passionate about the work. I Have worked for other unions where the leadership of the union is not working towards improving conditions for the members and that is disheartening, but that will never be the case here - you will be engaged in righteous fights at all times! On a personal level, other unions operate with the expectation that you can't have a personal life/family if you are engaged in social justice work. We work hard here, no doubt, but there is a balance. In fact, there are a number of people as peers or in leadership positions who have young children and I feel encouraged by that.

Cons

Not necessarily a con, but as a labor rep you do juggle various roles/responsibilities - organizing, handling of grievances, community organizing work, and bargaining. At other unions, the work is fragmented into different departments and a labor rep doesn't necessarily do all of the mentioned above. However, I feel like in order to develop skills and be versatile, it is important to have knowledge of all that goes into representing members and building the union and helps with never being bored!

1 person found this review helpful
  5. 5.0
    Current Employee, more than 10 years

Challenging but most importantly Rewarding

Nov 11, 2019 - Labor Representative in San Diego, CA
    Business Outlook

Pros

One of the most important aspects of a good work life for me is having great coworkers. I work with an amazing team of labor representatives who help each other and are supportive of one another. As I’m gaining more experience in navigating through a tumultuous time in the labor movement, my lead and director have given me guidance and support. I feel like my work as well as my voice is respected and that has helped the quality in my work. Additionally, the new Executive Director, who is an RN, is taking the organization towards a more inclusive path which I appreciate.

Cons

While I do work with amazing people that I highly regard, the work is naturally challenging. It is a rollercoaster of experiences when being a labor rep because of the anti union environment that we are all in. However, if you’re up for a challenge, can maintain a good work life balance, and want to work with amazing people this is the place for you!

6. 5.0
    Current Employee, more than 3 years

I feel valued and respected

Oct 23, 2019 - Organizer in Tampa, FL
    Business Outlook

Pros

National Nurses United really values all staff members. I am a father and the leadership of the union is very supportive when It comes to taking time off to be with the kids. I was most surprised when I started working here how much freedom I have to do my work. I never felt like I am being micromanaged. The leadership has trust in the staff to be able to get the work done. Whenever I need help I have always gotten the support that I need. I like that National Nurses United is a large organization so there is the ability to relocate to a number of states if I wanted to. Another perk of working for a large organization is the ability to transfer to a different position to learn new skill sets.

Cons

I can not think of any.

7. 5.0

Come for the Fight, Stay for the Politics

Oct 22, 2019 - Organizer
    Business Outlook

Pros

After working in multiple jobs in multiple sectors, I can confidently say that CNA/NNU has been the best job that I've not only had, but even heard about. I don't know any other organizations and careers wherein 1) you don't need to compromise class struggle and racial justice politics as well as 2) be sustained in your work. I've seen and heard of several jobs that can offer maybe one or the other, but almost never both. Provided you are committed to helping nurses fight the boss on behalf of their patients and the larger working class, then this is the place for you.

Cons

I don't see this as much of a "con," but you should expect to work hard to help advance nurses' fights on behalf of their patients. But between very good vacation, sick, and personal days benefits in addition to regular breaks (if organizing on the road), we have opportunities to recharge beyond anything I've seen in comparable organizations.

8. 5.0
    Current Employee, more than 3 years

I feel lucky to work here!

Oct 21, 2019 - Labor Representative in Oakland, CA
    Business Outlook

Pros

Nurses are the best people to represent. They are smart, hard working, and no nonsense. There's a reason why they are the most trusted professionals every year. I never have to worry if I'm in the wrong side of issues, which is not always the case in every union. My division is diverse and full of amazing staff who cares about everything that human beings should and have the talent and smarts to get things done! I always feel like my superiors want me to succeed. Reading some of the more negative reviews, it makes me think that it's a completely different organization than the one I see every day. If you are considering a job at CNA/NNU, know that you will be valued, you will learn a lot, and you will have one of the most rewarding work you'll ever have.

Cons

Really none so far.

9. 5.0
    Current Employee, more than 5 years

Positive Changes at CNA/NNU

Oct 3, 2019 - Organizer/Coordinator in Oakland, CA
    Business Outlook

Pros

I've worked on and off for many years at CNA/NNU. The RN membership is really inspiring. Nurses really do care about the world. NNU has always had great politics and dedicated activism. In past the workloads have been intense, that's kind of a given in movement work, but there were also a lot of personalities and internal politics to contend with. But with the new executive director, it's changed for the better. We just had an amazing global nurses solidarity event. Nurse leadership loved it! I never felt more a part of the movement for social change. Changes have brought a new character to the place, and hurray for that! Workers' power, labor militancy, sure, yes, but also a renewed dedication to the environment, racial and gender justice and a lot more.

Cons

You work hard. Fortunately, you also know you're doing a lot to empower workers, develop leadership, and spark social change.

10. 5.0
    Current Employee, more than 3 years

Great place to fight for justice!

Oct 18, 2019 - Labor Representative in Seattle, WA
    Business Outlook

Pros

A great place to work if you are interested in an organization that is on the leading edge of fighting for social justice and Medicare for All. In most other labor organizations that I've been a part of, I've felt like we were spinning our wheels. At CNA/NNU I've always felt like we're making a difference in fighting for what's right especially in the age of Trump

Cons

Yes, you will be be busy and this is not a cushy job like a lot of other unions. But the rewards of being part of an effective fighting organization make up for all of the hard work

1 person found this review helpful