National Nurses United Reviews | Glassdoor

Sort: PopularRatingDate

"Organizer"

Current Employee - Organizer
    Current Employee - Organizer

I have been working at National Nurses United full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Social justice work, challenging environment, travel, education, truly making a difference

Cons

It's hard work - expect to be tired.

"An idealist? Hard pass on NNU."

I have been working at National Nurses United full-time

Pros

Money is great till you likely figure out your hourly rate. Some make a lot more than $50K, so don't settle.
    The actual nurses are great, but you don't work for them. Rank & file employees can be pretty great.
    Staying at Hilton, etc. is cool, but you'll probably share the room.
    Could be worse. Could be SEIU.

Cons

People don't take free advice. I ignored the sexism & abuse mentioned in reviews & guess what I found?

If you don't mind feeling ineffectual & lurking in dark parking lots/garages recruiting nurses at 6am & 6pm & evading security, then cool.

Great job for political type personalities. If you care deeply, this will be hard. Jaded realist who can game the system? You may like this.

You'll be in a toothless staff union working for a union---and get this, you basically have no rights (just cause) for over a year. That kind of hippocracy sums it up.

"The movement" is sadly mostly a slick veneer run by hacks who talk a good game. It's just like corporate culture only it exploits people hearts. Oh well, it's not like fascism is a threat, right?

Advice to Management

Retire. Your generation has been responsible for the labor movement since it's decline in 70s. Whose been in charge for the past few decades? Coincidence? Prepare for National Right to Work. Thanks for the endless compromise & keeping down anyone (especially women) a threat to the throne for decades.

"Labor Representative"

Pros

Decent pay, hotels covered, etc.
    Super left organization.

Cons

Absolutely no work-life balance. you are expected to do unreasonable turnout, constantly work over 40 hours a week, and are expected to tip toe around management. Management has created, especially as of recently, a very toxic environment. Racism and nepotism reign supreme in CNA (as they always have). Their best are leaving due to new unreasonable and absurd workplace policies and procedure. Claim to be inclusive and in the fight for racial justice....but all of upper management is WHITE.

Advice to Management

Get rid of director, hire more people of color, promote people of color (for once), encourage a work-life balance and stop creating unrealistic "turnout" for every event. Also, show some respect to employees.

"Toxic Environment"

Former Employee - Organizer in Tampa, FL
    Former Employee - Organizer in Tampa, FL

Pros

Benefits & Pay
    -You get an amazing salary, per diem for meals, hotel stay is covered, rental car, etc.
    -Benefits are amazing (premiums are paid for and very low copays)

Cons

-most toxic (working) environments even compared to service industry jobs I've had.
    -no room for error.
    -housing and racial discrimination
    -its exhausting working and living with fellow organizers for 24/7 for two weeks straight (we were not allowed to have single/separate hotel rooms)
    -Older, white co-workers were favored over the younger, people of color
    -had one day of basic training but were expected to provide results and meet certain expectations despite not being told what those expectations were.
    -Management constantly tells you that "you are doing great" and "its not about the numbers" but take that with a grain of salt because they do care.
    -You are constantly being watched and evaluated
    -Can fire you on the spot without warning (during probation period)
    -Racist and problematic co-workers
    -Environment created by management causes a rivalry and unhealthy competition amongst organizers

Advice to Management

Grow and develop organizers especially younger organizers of color. Do not priortize nor favor older, white organizers: This is why there are not a lot of young people of color in the movement. Be more transparent. Offer criticism and evaluation before firing someone

"Labor Representative"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Loma Linda, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Loma Linda, CA

I worked at National Nurses United full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Good pay and benefits

Cons

Staff is treated like they don't have lives and the employer shows no concern about the work or the lives of their employees. They can be racist and hires very few minorities. They promote hardly any minorities. The sometime fall short on wages and deposits are not made for wages There is not worklife balance and many staff work on all holidays and vacations are usually cancelled or cut short due work.

"The Most Feared Growl In The Healthcare Industry"

I have been working at National Nurses United full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Leadership sends us powerful memes like “WOLVES DON’T LOSE SLEEP OVER THE OPINIONS OF SHEEP”. These rah rahs get the team pumped and foster winning swagger.

NNU is staffed by California Nurses Association aka CNA. The ability to run two unions with one staff is a no-brainer since it keeps the funds at home. Both unions are headed by the same Executive Director and Management. They handle finances, elections and databases for both unions. Leadership are a savvy think tank built to strategize and execute wins. It’s not an easy job but CNA’s team are the best in the biz.

NNU is a powerhouse that helps RNs give to causes they believe in. For instance, Bernie’s movement would be nothing without nurses. NNU spent millions on his campaign while easily backing other ventures. Case-in-point, flagship affiliate CNA just bought a stylish building in Oakland for around $68 million. It even has electric charging stations and better views of the lake than the Pandora building.

The nurses’ success means NNU is a reliable deep rooted establishment. Start-up and tech firms can’t always boast that, which makes NNU a local earner’s haven. As you know, Bay Area mortgages aren’t cheap.

Cons

As Leadership reminds us when we get a little fatigued, people do die for the movement. No mincing words. NNU goes all in all the time.

Challenges do arise. Pesky Green candidate Jill Stein tried to infiltrate our Peoples’ Summit in Chicago recently. Pretty annoying. But NNU’s Top Brass single-handedly prevented Jill from getting in.

When people realize they aren’t ready for the challenge they usually self-deselect and find less demanding jobs to accommodate their work/life balance.

Advice to Management

Management deserves props for the new database. The old clunker was screwing up the nurses’ calculations and personal data all the time. Some days we’d have 180k nurses. The next day 160k. It was impossible to collect dues or run elections accurately. Dues collection is a breeze now. Thank you. Thank you.

I still don’t get why we refer to groups like Occupy and BLM as Trotskyists. Probably need to educate staff on that a bit more.

I personally think NNU should increase Facebook presence. Get out there and make more friends. ; /\ )

"NNU is Changing The World!"

I have been working at National Nurses United full-time

Pros

A social movement requires dedicated, focused individuals. NNU staff are just that and more! Disgruntled former employees complain because they want the great pay and benefits but not the hard work. They self-select and leave and the rest of us continue on the hard journey towards a just and equitable society.

Cons

The reality is that bringing about systemic change is hard and takes a long time. If you only want to work for the pay and benefits, don't work here. If you want to change the world, this is the place to be!

Advice to Management

The leadership is a group of individuals who have committed their lives to bringing about change. Any employees who don't get that leave and then moan when they realize there is no other place that is as effective as NNU.

"You're TOO FAT for NNU"

Current Employee - Labor Representative
    Current Employee - Labor Representative

I have been working at National Nurses United full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

After the kind of crap we're dealing with lately at NNU, what is there even to say? We're supposed to be a labor organization!!!!!

Cons

So one of my coworkers was recently denied a promotion because of her weight. Management literally told her she wasn't being promoted because she was too fat. Are you kidding me!

Get this. They were already having her do the work of a lead labor rep. They just won't actually promote her because of her weight.

Labor reps spend our lives protecting the nurses from this same kind of treatment by Kaiser.

Advice to Management

Puleeeez! Get over yourselves.

"Bernie Campaign Intern"

Pros

Very open and flexible with time especially for students. They are very understanding, nice, and try to make sure everyone is on track with what they're doing and will make a commute to you if needed.

Cons

Last minute in some planning and due to distance it was a little hard to communicate but I don't blame them due to the circumstances.

Advice to Management

Overall a very good place to gain some experience, although this was just a short internship it helped a lot with understanding management. It was a short on our own internship so there's not much to say.

"This is for social justice fighters"

Current Employee - Organizer in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Organizer in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at National Nurses United full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

This job is for the social justice fighters and those who want to create positive change in society. I came from a social justice organizing background, and I never believed I could ever earn a decent living doing what I am passionate about until I started working at NNU. I've been with NNU for three years, and I've found much more than a good salary and great benefits. I found a community of likeminded colleagues who are dedicated, extremely intelligent, and just as passionate about this work. I've found mentors who are not just interested in winning short-term campaigns, but who are looking toward long-term goals of improving society by empowering nurses, and who are eager to train younger generations to do the same.

As a woman of color, a diverse and inclusive workplace is extremely important to me, and I appreciate that much of our membership are women of color. I see that reflected in our staff and union leadership. I also enjoy the opportunities to travel and organize within different communities throughout the US. It's an eye-opening and transformative experience that, in my years of organizing elsewhere, is hard to find.

Cons

This job does have long hours and is honestly not for the slight of heart, as social justice organizing goes. And so goes nursing. But if you're looking for something that will challenge you to do better and be better for your community, or do organizing work that actually aligns with your progressive principles, with folks who have the same passion- this place is for you.