National Oceanic & Atmospheric Administration Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated May 25, 2017

Full-time Part-time

3.3
Rating Trends Rating Trends
National Oceanic & Atmospheric Administration Under Secretary of Commerce Benjamin Friedman
Benjamin Friedman

Pros
Cons
  • Federal red tape makes for frustrating work (in 5 reviews)

• High stress, low pay for contractors (in 4 reviews)

1. "Project Manager"

Current Employee - Project Manager in Silver Spring, MD
    Current Employee - Project Manager in Silver Spring, MD

I have been working at National Oceanic & Atmospheric Administration full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Opportunity to develop and exercise management skills, take classes related to job description. NOAA has a diverse portfolio from sea to weather to satellites.

Cons

As a government agency it has built in checks and balances and while involved in scientific research is not the same culture as Silicon Valley.

2. "Volunteer Ranger"

Former Employee - Volunteer in Wells, ME
    Former Employee - Volunteer in Wells, ME

Pros

Place is gorgeous - several trails and a beautiful undeveloped beach.

Cons

I was brand new and no training to speak of was provided. I also had a supervisor that was almost as new as I was and knew almost nothing about the location, policies, and my job duties / responsibilities. More than once I was given the wrong information. It also caused problems performing my duties since I was giving out the wrong information to visitors, equipment required to do my job was unavailable and other volunteers I needed to work with were uninformed about what to do.

If you care about what you do, and I did, this is not the place to work. I had to find my own resources to get answers to questions since my supervisor was so unreliable (about both responding to queries and with any info she did provide). I was later told she was only part-time and it was the busy season and that's why she wasn't getting back to me. But that just tells me how little regard they really do have for their volunteers and the services we provide . They brought me on board even though they knew they wouldn't have any time to give me, and no training.

I did discuss some of this with both my supervisor and higher management and I found neither one helpful or supportive.

I stuck it out for several weeks only because I was interested in a career as a park ranger and I loved the reserve. But way too many problems with the ranger program, and an unresponsive upper management.

3. "NOAA"

Former Employee - Infrastructure Specialist in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Infrastructure Specialist in Seattle, WA

I worked at National Oceanic & Atmospheric Administration (More than a year)

Pros

Great mission with a goal on the protecting the environment and collecting scientific data. One of the only admired Federal agencies.

Cons

As a Federal agency, it is completely underfunded and understaffed to support all of the scientific and technical data that requires dissemination and study.

4. "Working for NOS is decent"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Silver Spring, MD
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Silver Spring, MD

I have been working at National Oceanic & Atmospheric Administration full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great benefits as well as flexibility

Cons

Federal red tape makes for frustrating work

"HR Woes"

Current Employee - Human Resources Specialist in Silver Spring, MD
    Current Employee - Human Resources Specialist in Silver Spring, MD

I have been working at National Oceanic & Atmospheric Administration full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Location, Mission, Salaries, Coworkers, Diverse

Cons

Some Bad Attitudes, Old Fashioned, High Turnover, A Few Sour Supervisors

Advice to Management

Some of the supervisors are very rude, condescending and difficult to work for. They sit on ivory towers all in a row boasting about what they know and what agencies they come from, and lack any sense of humility. No one does that anymore. It's like this older show my mom watches with Mary Tyler Moore and a tyrant boss. So unnecessary and definitely not a motivator. And they are leaving a sour taste in mouths of the very divisions within HR we must work with and they are just as new as some of us. Some of the other supervisors in different HR divisions seem to be great. More down to earth. Their teams say they are happy. Higher level leadership seems pretty good too. It's just a few sour apple supervisors, and office busy bodies making it difficult. Otherwise it's pretty decent. Close to the metro. And there is lots to be done so the day never drags. They just need to keep striving for positive, nicer supervisors who know their stuff and can help us and supervise without looking down on the rest of us. My advice is get your supervisors to come back down to earth and take some lessons from the ones everyone wished they worked for.

6. "Chief Stewart"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Newport, RI
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Newport, RI

I have been working at National Oceanic & Atmospheric Administration full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

A very good federal job with benefits

Cons

You have to get use to being away from your family

7. "Work Environment"

Current Employee - Linux Systems Administrator in College Park, MD
    Current Employee - Linux Systems Administrator in College Park, MD

Pros

Great place to learn new skills

Cons

Do not have a lot of employees from the minority groups

Advice to Management

Encourage the employment and retaintion of people from the minority groups

"Software Engineer"

Former Employee - Scientific Software Engineer/Consultant in Westport, MA
    Former Employee - Scientific Software Engineer/Consultant in Westport, MA

I worked at National Oceanic & Atmospheric Administration (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great People, great work and great mission.

Cons

I had few problems with this job.

Advice to Management

Continue the mission and keep up great work.

9. "Senior Meteorologist"

Former Employee - Senior Meteorologist in Indianapolis, IN
    Former Employee - Senior Meteorologist in Indianapolis, IN

I worked at National Oceanic & Atmospheric Administration full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

I loved working in my field of study and helping inform the public of impending severe weather hazards well ahead of time.

Cons

The rigourous rotating shift work where you fluctuate week to week from 1st, to second shift, back to first shift, then to a week of 3rd shifts, and then the cycle repeats itselt. It was impossible to recover, and after 14+ years I had to sadly resign due to health related reasons from this horrible shift work schedule.

Advice to Management

Change the shift work policy. Offer early retirements, other benefits to help these poor shift workers meet the agency mission of "For protection of life and property". And along the way, care deeply and show concern for your own employee's safety, health, and well-being.

"Federal government meets academia"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Ann Arbor, MI
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Ann Arbor, MI

Pros

Casual, professional work environment. Education opportunities. Work with some of the best scientists in the world. Federal pension and benefits.

Cons

At the mercy of the government pay scale. Government job titles don't often translate into the corporate world. Paperwork, paperwork, paperwork.