National Oilwell Varco Reviews in Houston, TX | Glassdoor

3.5
Clay C. Williams

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • Uncertainty within the fluctuating marketing products, due to downturn in oil and gas (in 46 reviews)

• Upper Management is not well informed of the challenges of the employees to complete their tasks (in 29 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Opportunity for personal and professional development"

Current Employee - Communications Manager in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Communications Manager in Houston, TX

I have been working at National Oilwell Varco full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

NOV genuinely cares about it's employees. Even in a company this big, I've never felt like just a number. Employee development and job satisfaction is very important to leadership, and there's usually opportunity for internal transfer if you want to change your career path or try something new.

Cons

Because NOV has acquired so many successful, well-run companies, it can feel disjointed at times in the areas of business strategy and product roadmap. This is an issue that leadership is aware of and actively working on.

Advice to Management

Find effective, consistent ways to communicate across business groups and product line management to ensure we aren't duplicating or negating each others efforts. Share resources, knowledge, data, etc to operate more efficiently.

2. "North America Procurement Manager"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

I worked at National Oilwell Varco full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great company to work for back when they took care of their employees.

Cons

Current market situation has caused mass layoffs, cut in benefits causing a big morale issue for the remaining employees. A lot of changes happening on the upper management team creating fear on lower tier employees.

Advice to Management

Better communication
    Get back to your roots of caring about your employees

3. "Disappointed"

Former Employee - Branch Administrator in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Branch Administrator in Houston, TX

I worked at National Oilwell Varco full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good benefits. My particular supervisor was very flexible, so I could leave anytime I wanted to take care of stuff. As long as I got my hours in and did my job, he didn't care how I did it. I was not micromanaged and I loved it!I worked at a rural location, so it was really nice to live in a small town and still feel like a professional working for a corporation.

Cons

My previous company was taken over by NOV which I viewed as a good thing, but the onboarding process was atrocious. I cannot believe such a large company that acquires smaller companies on a regular basis had absolutely no process in place to make the transition easier. No one page paper contact list, no helpful emails, NOTHING! We were not told who to contact for payroll, A/P, A/R, etc... and almost everyone I was directed to was rude and unprofessional. In most cases, we were tacked onto people who already had full plates, so the resentment level was high. I got so tired of people responding to emails like I was a child. It was very frustrating since this certainly wasn't my first rodeo! It took about 6 months for things to feel fairly normal and for there to be any flow to the everyday processes. Just about 6 months after everything smoothed out, the rumors of office closures started and it took about a year, but it finally got us in 2016 and they closed our location. Upper mgmt. and HR walked in on a Tuesday at the first of the month and told us we were done. Larger locations got some notice, so we were really disappointed that by law if you have less than 50 employees, they can just boot you out the door without warning. NOV and upper management could have chosen to do the right thing and give us some warning as they did many other locations, but they chose not to. I loved the job itself and for a small, dying town, it was great money and benefits. I was and still am so bummed!

Advice to Management

Where do I start? Just basics like when you take over a company (in my case a building in a small town with 8 employees), how about give them a list of their contacts for HR, payroll, A/P, A/R, etc... I wouldn't take an admin person 5 minutes to create one and it would save a lot of time and heartache. Create an onboarding process for takeovers. It isn't that hard and once it's created it can be applied each time for small or large scale takeovers and it will make everyone's life so much easier. Remember, work smarter not harder. Corporate really made things more difficult than it should have been. Also, the whole layoff process needs to be more consistent. I could give a laundry list on that whole process, but I'm too frustrated to keep writing.

4. "life at nov"

Former Employee - Tester in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Tester in Houston, TX

I worked at National Oilwell Varco full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

not very many pros. good name to work for maybe

Cons

no growth, no upward movement, too many guys allowed to be negative influences on co workers

Advice to Management

clean house. listen to your employees

5. "NOV Review"

Current Employee - Software Developer in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Software Developer in Houston, TX

I have been working at National Oilwell Varco full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great culture and work life balance. Senior Management is smart but willing to meet with anyone that asks.

Cons

Lower than industry standard pay. Can be hard to get raises even without the downturn.

6. "Review"

Former Employee - Worker in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Worker in Houston, TX

I worked at National Oilwell Varco (Less than a year)

Pros

Great pay, for all your time

Cons

Oil Field job security scares

"Harder Workers Thrive Here"

Current Employee - Human Resources Manager in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Human Resources Manager in Houston, TX

I have been working at National Oilwell Varco full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

There is so much opportunity at this organization to advance in your career if you are willing to work hard. I've been very lucky to get to be in multiple different positions during my time here, some of which I was not qualified for when I started, but they love to promote from within and took the time to train me up. I would also say that, for the most part, managers tend to be flexible and work with you in regards to your scheduling.

Cons

Due to the downturn in O&G, there have been a lot of layoffs and perks that have been suspended for the time being (hopefully they bring these back after we get out of it). They typically pay at mid-market so if making money is your most important career aspiration, this is probably not the place for you.

Advice to Management

Find new ways to engage employees and help bring in new talent such as half day Fridays, 9-80 scheduling, additional vacation, etc.

"NOV review"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

I worked at National Oilwell Varco (More than 8 years)

Pros

A great place to get experience in the oil field and learn the equipment involved.

Cons

Since the down turn and the previous CEO Pete Miller left the company has changed from being customer focused and "the big company with the family feel" to a numbers focused only organization. Executive management doesn't seem to paying attention to mid and lower management and what they are doing and there is a definite lack of communication to employees on where the organization is going. There seems to be a lot of "clubs" that are forming and politics have become a major factor when or if you are considered for any promotion or in the resent months laid-off. Also, most areas of the organization haven't received a raise in the last few years and the cost on insurance has gone through the roof.

Advice to Management

It's understood that there is a need for cost reductions however there are areas that could still be looked at that would affect some but not the majority. For instance the expats. There seems to still be a lot of expats in the US from other countries however all of the US expats where brought back to the US and several laid off once they returned. There has also been a lack of information flowing to the employees from upper management and most information is spread by rumors that only spur insecurity and misinformation. Take the time to speak with the lower employees and find out what they are seeing and how they are being treated.

9. "Accounting Supervisor"

Current Employee - Accounting Manager in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Accounting Manager in Houston, TX

I have been working at National Oilwell Varco full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

NOV is a very large company with high PROFITS, therefore, they have superior systems, top notch technology.

Cons

NOV depts. lack formal processes and procedures. Who leads the leader? They are far behind in compensation within their industry. Poorly paid employees.

Advice to Management

Invest in employee training in systems, processes, people and procedures. You have great employees, yet lack training resources.

10. "Project Coordinator - Manufacturing"

Former Employee - Manager in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Manager in Houston, TX

I worked at National Oilwell Varco full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

A true meritocracy... your abilities mean more than your resume or education. Loyal to employees and willing to work around personal needs. A company that is not bound up by procedures and red tape... focused on task accomplishment

Cons

Not a high paying employer - you will be paid below median for your role. Medical plans suck after Obama Care. Sometimes lacks executive control and guidance and planning.

Advice to Management

Do one thing and do it well. Learn the difference between empowering employees and abandoning them to drift.

Showing 479 of 1,304 reviews