National Oilwell Varco Reviews in Houston, TX | Glassdoor

Houston, TX Area

Clay C. Williams

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • Oil and gas has been down so they've experienced quite a few layoffs recently (in 47 reviews)

• A lot of changes happening on the upper management team creating fear on lower tier employees (in 29 reviews)

1. "Below average pay for an engineer"

Current Employee - Engineer in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Engineer in Houston, TX

I have been working at National Oilwell Varco full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Broad range of experience, good health benefits, excellent work life balance, learn a lot in a short period of time

Cons

Below average pay, no bonus or incentives, little to no training, relatively poor middle management

Advice to Management

Appreciate the employees that you have and develop them.

2. "Disappointed"

Former Employee - Branch Administrator in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Branch Administrator in Houston, TX

I worked at National Oilwell Varco full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good benefits. My particular supervisor was very flexible, so I could leave anytime I wanted to take care of stuff. As long as I got my hours in and did my job, he didn't care how I did it. I was not micromanaged and I loved it!I worked at a rural location, so it was really nice to live in a small town and still feel like a professional working for a corporation.

Cons

My previous company was taken over by NOV which I viewed as a good thing, but the onboarding process was atrocious. I cannot believe such a large company that acquires smaller companies on a regular basis had absolutely no process in place to make the transition easier. No one page paper contact list, no helpful emails, NOTHING! We were not told who to contact for payroll, A/P, A/R, etc... and almost everyone I was directed to was rude and unprofessional. In most cases, we were tacked onto people who already had full plates, so the resentment level was high. I got so tired of people responding to emails like I was a child. It was very frustrating since this certainly wasn't my first rodeo! It took about 6 months for things to feel fairly normal and for there to be any flow to the everyday processes. Just about 6 months after everything smoothed out, the rumors of office closures started and it took about a year, but it finally got us in 2016 and they closed our location. Upper mgmt. and HR walked in on a Tuesday at the first of the month and told us we were done. Larger locations got some notice, so we were really disappointed that by law if you have less than 50 employees, they can just boot you out the door without warning. NOV and upper management could have chosen to do the right thing and give us some warning as they did many other locations, but they chose not to. I loved the job itself and for a small, dying town, it was great money and benefits. I was and still am so bummed!

Advice to Management

Where do I start? Just basics like when you take over a company (in my case a building in a small town with 8 employees), how about give them a list of their contacts for HR, payroll, A/P, A/R, etc... I wouldn't take an admin person 5 minutes to create one and it would save a lot of time and heartache. Create an onboarding process for takeovers. It isn't that hard and once it's created it can be applied each time for small or large scale takeovers and it will make everyone's life so much easier. Remember, work smarter not harder. Corporate really made things more difficult than it should have been. Also, the whole layoff process needs to be more consistent. I could give a laundry list on that whole process, but I'm too frustrated to keep writing.

3. "Review"

Former Employee - Worker in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Worker in Houston, TX

I worked at National Oilwell Varco (Less than a year)

Pros

Great pay, for all your time

Cons

Oil Field job security scares

4. "Accounting Supervisor"

Current Employee - Accounting Manager in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Accounting Manager in Houston, TX

I have been working at National Oilwell Varco full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

NOV is a very large company with high PROFITS, therefore, they have superior systems, top notch technology.

Cons

NOV depts. lack formal processes and procedures. Who leads the leader? They are far behind in compensation within their industry. Poorly paid employees.

Advice to Management

Invest in employee training in systems, processes, people and procedures. You have great employees, yet lack training resources.

5. "Has its ups and downs"

Current Employee - Machinist in Conroe, TX
    Current Employee - Machinist in Conroe, TX

I have been working at National Oilwell Varco full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

The conroe facillity 500 conroe park west. Good benefits and advancements in manufacturing. Management has became optimum compared to past years.

Cons

Always work your weekends unless you get a slow week. Certain individuals are placed before others. Female employees in shop get away with alot with no consequences, have yet to see and diciplinary action taken against a female whether its phone use which is constant, alcohol never seen a drug test or constantly calling in or late. I have work at this facility for almost 10 years and observed alot of behaviors.

Advice to Management

Focus on employees work and effort put into jobs time completed and quality, reward those doing the work. Treat every individual with the same respect whether male or female.

6. "Great company, bad timing"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

I worked at National Oilwell Varco full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great benefits, great training, experience and expertise mattered more than job title.

Cons

Not enough effort around created a single standard which allowed for different processes in different locations.

Advice to Management

Create a single culture when bringing on acquisitions so that managers can manage business processes easier and are able to collaborate across multiple locations and business groups.

7. "Good company"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

I worked at National Oilwell Varco full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Flexible environment, good people to work with.

Cons

Not too many opportunities to grow. Management not to open to communication.

8. "Review of NOV."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

Pros

Great work and life balance, when oil prices are up, there is lots of opportunity to travel. No strict hours, as long as you get work completed.

Cons

There have been lots of layoffs and we came out at a loss after quarter 1 of 2017. No bonuses last two years due to downturn.

"NOV is not a good place for a modern software engineer."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

I worked at National Oilwell Varco full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Good benefits package. Decent compensation in up market but expect no bonuses at all in an even or down market.

Cons

Oil & Gas is a volatile industry, and there have been massive layoffs in 2016 & 2017. NOV does not understand software and it is a challenge to move management out of their comfort zone. There is a strong "good old boys" culture that can be hostile to women and minorities.

Advice to Management

Plan for downturns better. Invest in people and technologies during up markets to help weather down markets. Hire competent engineers and listen to them. Communicate better.

10. "Service Desk Coordinator"

Current Employee - Lead IT Service Desk Coordinator in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Lead IT Service Desk Coordinator in Houston, TX

I have been working at National Oilwell Varco full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great company, wonderful people

Cons

No raise in 3 years

Showing 171 of 1,318 reviews