National Oilwell Varco Reviews | Glassdoor

1.0
Clay C. Williams

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • Oil and Gas downturns can be frustrating (in 46 reviews)

• Upper Management is not well informed of the challenges of the employees to complete their tasks (in 28 reviews)

1. "No Loyalty to employees"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Claremore, OK
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Claremore, OK

I worked at National Oilwell Varco full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Benefits, site management, no micro management from site leadership

Cons

Corporate Leadership in Process and Flow Technologies is demeaning, backstabbing and never satisfied, regardless of the job you do. Pay is low.

Advice to Management

PFT needs corporate management that cares about the people. You can't expect them to give you their best if you constantly demean them.

2. "This place is a joke"

Former Employee - Spray Rig Operator in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Spray Rig Operator in Houston, TX

I worked at National Oilwell Varco full-time (More than a year)

Pros

There is nothing good here unless you are really dumb and don't have any skill, and were good at using your phone in school when you weren't suppose to.

Cons

Despotism, management play favorites
    Literally 12 hr shifts, don't give a hoot about personal affairs
    They preach quality, but at the end of the night it's all about quantity this is gonna bite these ppl in the butt later I saw so many improper things being sent to the field
    Everyone takes a break like 20x a shift, maintenance crew is lazy and expect for you to know how to fix the machines.
    Don't make friends here
    I hate this place, I hope I never work for a company that doesn't value their employees, I was literally told by the company shop supervisor in a meeting that we are indispensable.
    The supervisors don't know about anything, they fire hard workers and bring in temps and have temps train temps, nothing is ever learned correctly and fully.
    Old machines etc..the list can go on.
    Don't recommended working here, but looks good on your resume. Use this place as a stepping stone to something better.. there is something better trust me..

Advice to Management

Terrible company, you don't practice what you preach
    Quality over quantity, tell that to supervisors
    Daytime blames nighttime and vice versa,

3. "Little concern for employees"

Current Employee - Production Planner in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Production Planner in Houston, TX

I have been working at National Oilwell Varco full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Paychecks are every two weeks

Cons

Be prepared to feel like a slave if working for NOV. Hours are long and compensation is low. Salaried workers are expected to carry the workload of at least 3 to 4 people so the company can be more profitable. Hourly workers are not always given sufficient notice about hours they are required to work (i.e. you may find out you have to work a weekend on Friday and will be written up if you don't cancel plans and comply.)

Advice to Management

Do not continue over working your hardest working employees and provide better compensation.

4. "Engineer"

Former Employee - Mechanical Engineer in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Mechanical Engineer in Houston, TX

I worked at National Oilwell Varco full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Benefits used to be ok. Kiss up to the boss and the people with experience and they love you.

Cons

To many clicks. To much gossip. Lots of but kissing. No one cares they just look away from problems.

Advice to Management

Quit gossiping. Be a man shut up and do your job. Act like a grown up quit acting like gossiping old retired woman. Do your job and quit ignoring problems.

5. "Administrative"

Former Contractor - Administrative Assistant in Baton Rouge, LA
    Former Contractor - Administrative Assistant in Baton Rouge, LA

I worked at National Oilwell Varco as a contractor

Pros

Competitive pay and good benefits

Cons

Some management seem to place work over family; inconsiderate in uncontrollable emergency situations; prefer brown nosing over work performance; very "brother in law" from hiring to promotions to the choices in layoffs

Advice to Management

Eliminate the "brother in law" syndrome at all levels; value work performance over brown nosing; create and enforce a merit based evaluation system; encourage all management in all divisions/companies to balance work with life; encourage all management in all divisions/companies to be more understanding of Emergency situations of employees; make better decisions regarding layoffs and from which departments

"Man's world"

Former Employee - Training Manager in Bammel, TX
    Former Employee - Training Manager in Bammel, TX

I worked at National Oilwell Varco full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Work life balance, nothing else.

Cons

Very sexist culture...woman are all considered secretaries no matter the job role or eduction level. Secretary's day- every woman is invited. Men with the same titles are not invited. Men speak to woman negatively and bully them around. Oilfield mentality!

Advice to Management

Look for people who are qualified to do a job, not what gender they are.

7. "Was A Great Company"

Former Employee - Account Manager in Broussard, LA
    Former Employee - Account Manager in Broussard, LA

I worked at National Oilwell Varco (More than a year)

Pros

NOV has great benefits and also takes notice of work well done and rewards accordingly. But the tide has turned- greed...

Cons

Due to economic changes NOV kept high paid employees- over paid employees- instead of asking everyone to take pay cuts to help everyone to keep jobs- they still have over paid employees- shareholders beware!

Advice to Management

We would have all pitched in to help NOV employees keep their jobs- there are so many more solutions- those that let kept over paid people on the books will eventually pay- and the company will go under in one way or another.

"Run, Run, Run!!"

Former Employee - Documentation Specialist in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Documentation Specialist in Houston, TX

I worked at National Oilwell Varco full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The fellow employee's was great to work with. Yearly raises was 10-25 cents but if you was a favorite you would received 50 cent to dollar raise.

Cons

The HR manager and warehouse supervisor treated us all so poor. They do not care about there employees. They had their picks and lied on you just to get you out the door. Major turn over rate at this location. I would never recommended this company to no one..not even my worse enemy.

Advice to Management

Need to replaceed

9. "NOV is terrible"

Former Employee - Engineer in Saint Paul, MN
    Former Employee - Engineer in Saint Paul, MN

I worked at National Oilwell Varco full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Good benefits. A lot of exposure to various types of equipment.

Cons

Extremely low pay. Management is the good ol boy club and and makes every one below them work overtime because they cannot schedule projects/departments. Management will not address any employee conflicts/concerns with HR. The IT group is pathetic and cannot fix any problems in a timely fashion.

Advice to Management

Keep letting the employees walk out the door when you originally hired them as a replacement for all the old people.

10. "Downhill Slide"

Current Employee - NOC Operator in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - NOC Operator in Houston, TX

I have been working at National Oilwell Varco full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Had great insurance until we were forced to change on 1 Jan 2016 so the company could save money at employee expense. Decent salary. Good, safe work environment

Cons

No raises, insurance price increase resulted in what amounted to a pay cut. Higher copay with new insur as nice and so far terrible service.

Advice to Management

Start thinking more about the people that work at NOV and worry less about cutting corners. Good employees will prop a company up in hard times but you can't expect them to do that when they are getting the shaft.

Showing 71 of 1,269 reviews