National Oilwell Varco Reviews | Glassdoor

Clay C. Williams

1,326 Employee Reviews

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. Featured Review

"Opportunity for personal and professional development"

Current Employee - Communications Manager in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Communications Manager in Houston, TX

I have been working at National Oilwell Varco full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

NOV genuinely cares about it's employees. Even in a company this big, I've never felt like just a number. Employee development and job satisfaction is very important to leadership, and there's usually opportunity for internal transfer if you want to change your career path or try something new.

Cons

Because NOV has acquired so many successful, well-run companies, it can feel disjointed at times in the areas of business strategy and product roadmap. This is an issue that leadership is aware of and actively working on.

Advice to Management

Find effective, consistent ways to communicate across business groups and product line management to ensure we aren't duplicating or negating each others efforts. Share resources, knowledge, data, etc to operate more efficiently.

2. "Project Manager"

I have been working at National Oilwell Varco full-time

Pros

good people to work with

Cons

low pay for the past 4 years due to oil price

3. "Fabrication Manager"

Former Employee - Fabrication Manager in Montrose, Scotland (UK)
    Former Employee - Fabrication Manager in Montrose, Scotland (UK)

I worked at National Oilwell Varco full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Great benefits also great company to work for

Cons

Not enough personal at that time

Advice to Management

More care for your team

4. "..."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

I have been working at National Oilwell Varco full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Nice work environment, company benefits and 401K are adequate, great direction and leadership

Cons

Salary lower than industry standard

Advice to Management

Pay employees a fare wage based on the market and job title.

5. "The Right Job for the Right Person"

Former Employee - Software Developer in Anderson, TX
    Former Employee - Software Developer in Anderson, TX

I worked at National Oilwell Varco full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Writing applications that interface with more than just your computer can be awesome and rewarding, and NOV (Anderson, TX) is well-versed in how to do it on an industrial scale. You will definitely learn a lot from the in-house talent on how fracking equipment works, as well as how to develop software for it. There's also a lot of caring attention to detail that goes into their products (both in terms of the physical units and the software itself).
    Beyond that, this is a pretty typical oil/gas type job: things are chaotic when the oil industry is booming, and slow when the oil industry is slow.

Cons

Compensation was slightly lower than what you can get elsewhere (though this is offset by the lower cost-of-living in the area). Definitely not a job for someone seeking work/life balance as their main priority, as you will occasionally be putting in long evening and weekend hours (mainly because that's just how the oil industry is). Not really the place to work if you are looking for career advancement in software development.
    Nitpick: Due to the looser corporate structure with NOV facilities, information from other departments (or sometimes even corporate) is occasionally hard to come by. They have taken steps to change this with richer internal websites to help share information, but nitty-gritty details (e.g. available servers, software licenses) remain more elusive.

6. "It's okay"

Pros

Amazing benefits, easy commute from home, and occassionally company will pay for lunch

Cons

Promotions don't seem to be based on qualifications but more on age of person, a lot of "good ole boy" club happenings, coordination and communication between workers and management, and M-F 12 hour shifts and every other Saturday for at least 6 hours

Advice to Management

Pay attention to who does the work and who runs their mouths

7. "Just another large company"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Nisku, AB (Canada)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Nisku, AB (Canada)

I have been working at National Oilwell Varco full-time

Pros

Great heath and rrsps And room to grow

Cons

Us company that does not care about operations outside of the Houston area. Will shut down any smaller operation with no real reason. Spend millions closing an operation when the money could have been used to keep it running for years

Advice to Management

Don't buy company's if you are just going to shut them down.

8. "Lab technician"

Former Employee - Lab Technician in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Lab Technician in Houston, TX

I worked at National Oilwell Varco full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great company to work for overall

Cons

The downside are the layoffs

9. "Bestest"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Aberdeen, Scotland (UK)
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Aberdeen, Scotland (UK)

I worked at National Oilwell Varco full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

all round qualiteh employer and friend

Cons

shame couldnae stay bu had tae go!

Advice to Management

keep up the good work and hit them sales targets

10. "Hit or Miss"

Former Employee - Cash Applications Clerk in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Cash Applications Clerk in Houston, TX

I worked at National Oilwell Varco full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Long-established, multi-billion dollar global company more than a century old, with hundreds of locations worldwide (dozens of locations in the Houston area alone). Beautiful building at the NOV tower, where I worked (10353 Richmond Ave., Houston, TX 77042). Very good benefits, including a 401K plan with a company match. Even if you don’t contribute to your 401K for the match, the company will still invest 2% of your salary on your behalf, with the company’s own money. The company’s large size provides the chance to transfer into new job opportunities not afforded at smaller companies.

Cons

Because of the company’s massive size, it’s hit or miss when it comes to landing in a good department. I was hired a month before the O&G market dropped, so I worked in an environment of what seemed like constant change, company-wide as well as within my departments (layoffs, reorganizations, etc.). The company is made up of 3 different divisions that operate differently: Rig Systems, Wellbore Technologies, and Completion & Production Solutions (CAPS). I worked 2 different positions in CAPS and Rig Systems. Of the 2, I would say Rig was worse, probably the worst of the 3. The Rig division operates the most with a “bottom line” mentality, with little regard for its employees. It is also the division that provides the least amount of sick days (3 per year; CAPs provides 5 sick days per year).

The second department in which I worked (in the Rig division) was run with a “do more with less” attitude. When I transferred to that department, there were always 4-5 members on my team. But when 2 team members left in the same month, that left only 2 of us to do all of the work. Upper management said we could manage fine with 2 people – wrong; my teammate and I grew tired, overworked & frustrated. On top of that, upper management was very stingy with overtime, despite our team being understaffed. We were promised a temp would be hired to help with research. That took 3 months to happen; 2 days before I resigned. In the 3 years that I worked at NOV, I learned many new skills, was “promoted” with additional job duties and a fancier job title, but never received a raise. This was a common practice, particularly in the Rig division. Another Rig employee was promoted to manager and given a lot of additional work with no pay raise; she resigned a few months later. I finally realized the only way I was ever going to receive a raise was through a new job at a new company, so I eventually found a new job.

The Rig department in which I worked had 16 employees. In the 16 months that I worked there, 10 people left; I was number 10. Some were fired, some resigned and 1 transferred, but it all adds up to a very high turnover rate for a department that size. My department also handled resignations rudely. When you put in your 2 weeks’ notice, as I did, you are quickly escorted by your manager to HR to complete a quick exit review, after which you are escorted off the premises the same day – like a fired or laid off employee. The only difference is that they pay you for the 2 weeks’ notice. Of all the numerous rules and policies that were discussed in that department, this practice was never mentioned. The other divisions don’t handle resignations this way. Overall, I don’t regret working for NOV, and there are better-run departments within the company. I do advise that if possible, try to find a job in the CAPS or Wellbore divisions.

Advice to Management

Thanks for giving me the opportunity to gain valuable experience and skills. My new employer appreciates them very much.

Showing 1,326 of 1,372 reviews