National Oilwell Varco Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

1,306 Employee Reviews

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • Oil and gas has been down so they've experienced quite a few layoffs recently (in 48 reviews)

• Upper Management is not well informed of the challenges of the employees to complete their tasks (in 28 reviews)

1. "Great experience"

Former Employee - Solid Control Technician in Grand Junction, CO
    Former Employee - Solid Control Technician in Grand Junction, CO

I worked at National Oilwell Varco full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Was my intro into the oilfield. I had great coworkers and the experience was just what you would imagine. Long hours but the pay was good.

Cons

Training was almost non existent be ready to learn fast. If your accident prone the oilfield is not for you.

Advice to Management

If people need to transfer to another region be fair and at least put in the paperwork. Only reason I left was because my manager had a " I hired you I fire you" policy.

"Engineering Manager"

I worked at National Oilwell Varco full-time

Pros

Great benefits, good work life balance.

Cons

Low salaries and they cut needed positions but make non-essential positions to protect certain employees.

3. "Terrible leadership"

Former Employee - Electrical Engineer in Cedar Park, TX
    Former Employee - Electrical Engineer in Cedar Park, TX

I worked at National Oilwell Varco full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

There are no pros.

Cons

Company has no innovation. Slow to market. Does not think outside the box. Has so much potential but management is terrible.

4. "assembler"

I worked at National Oilwell Varco full-time

Pros

it was alot of fun building different projects. I did not have any prior experience building machinery. They did not train you on how to read schematics.

Cons

they did not train me well for the position needed.

Advice to Management

train train train

5. "Disappointed"

Former Employee - Branch Administrator in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Branch Administrator in Houston, TX

I worked at National Oilwell Varco full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good benefits. My particular supervisor was very flexible, so I could leave anytime I wanted to take care of stuff. As long as I got my hours in and did my job, he didn't care how I did it. I was not micromanaged and I loved it!I worked at a rural location, so it was really nice to live in a small town and still feel like a professional working for a corporation.

Cons

My previous company was taken over by NOV which I viewed as a good thing, but the onboarding process was atrocious. I cannot believe such a large company that acquires smaller companies on a regular basis had absolutely no process in place to make the transition easier. No one page paper contact list, no helpful emails, NOTHING! We were not told who to contact for payroll, A/P, A/R, etc... and almost everyone I was directed to was rude and unprofessional. In most cases, we were tacked onto people who already had full plates, so the resentment level was high. I got so tired of people responding to emails like I was a child. It was very frustrating since this certainly wasn't my first rodeo! It took about 6 months for things to feel fairly normal and for there to be any flow to the everyday processes. Just about 6 months after everything smoothed out, the rumors of office closures started and it took about a year, but it finally got us in 2016 and they closed our location. Upper mgmt. and HR walked in on a Tuesday at the first of the month and told us we were done. Larger locations got some notice, so we were really disappointed that by law if you have less than 50 employees, they can just boot you out the door without warning. NOV and upper management could have chosen to do the right thing and give us some warning as they did many other locations, but they chose not to. I loved the job itself and for a small, dying town, it was great money and benefits. I was and still am so bummed!

Advice to Management

Where do I start? Just basics like when you take over a company (in my case a building in a small town with 8 employees), how about give them a list of their contacts for HR, payroll, A/P, A/R, etc... I wouldn't take an admin person 5 minutes to create one and it would save a lot of time and heartache. Create an onboarding process for takeovers. It isn't that hard and once it's created it can be applied each time for small or large scale takeovers and it will make everyone's life so much easier. Remember, work smarter not harder. Corporate really made things more difficult than it should have been. Also, the whole layoff process needs to be more consistent. I could give a laundry list on that whole process, but I'm too frustrated to keep writing.

"Director"

I worked at National Oilwell Varco full-time

Pros

Generally good people and some interesting tech.

Cons

20th century technologies in a 21st century world.

Advice to Management

Bring in some executive talent that understands the new world technology arch.

7. "NOV"

I worked at National Oilwell Varco full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Busy during oil upturn an a poor choice during job downturns

Cons

negative job upturn, poor career management

Advice to Management

improve HR

"Document Controller"

I worked at National Oilwell Varco full-time

Pros

My manager was understanding and wanted to help whenever she could.

Cons

A lot of backstabbing people in the building who will throw you under the bus whenever they get the chance. Pay is a joke compared to other companies.

Advice to Management

Should really look at who was laid off versus who you kept in some positions.

9. "Do More with Less"

I worked at National Oilwell Varco full-time

Pros

They have a nice office building on Richmond.

Cons

Long hours, low pay, bad morale.

10. "Good environment"

I have been working at National Oilwell Varco full-time

Pros

Work with a great team who really care about you

Cons

Not great salary, hard to get an increase even with good performance reviews

Showing 1,306 of 1,351 reviews