National Park Foundation Reviews

Updated Jun 16, 2020

3.9
National Park Foundation President and CEO Will Shafroth (no image)
Will Shafroth
  1. "Amazing Culture and People"

Current Employee - External Affairs Coordinator in Washington, DC

I have been working at National Park Foundation full-time for less than a year

Pros

This is my first grad job. If you are looking to join a non-profit that infuses the passion it has for its mission into every aspect of the job experience, I would definitely apply here. NPF cares about representation, employee well-being and empowering each member of the team to grow professionally. I have felt in my time here that my colleagues care about me as a person, and that I have access to the executives, even at an entry level. It is big enough where you always feel like you are learning , but not so big that you couldn't get to know every single one of your colleagues if you put in the effort. The HR department ROCKS! They plan wellness fairs, the benefits are great, and they invest in making you feel seen, heard, and work to resolve any problems you may have.

Cons

I don't have any major complaints.

2. "Not an enjoyable place to work at all."

1.0
    Former Employee - Partnership Manager in Washington, DC

I worked at National Park Foundation full-time for more than a year

Pros

Very friendly CEO, great HR department, and has a fantastic mission.

Cons

Very poorly managed team, little to no cross team collaboration, nobody was happy there. Very high turnover due to the poor work culture. All work was completed alone at your desk with little room for thought or innovation. Immediate supervisors did not provide much background or information to anyone on the team. I truly dreaded coming to work everyday.

3. "Great place to work"

Current Employee - Fellow in Washington, DC

I have been working at National Park Foundation full-time for less than a year

Pros

Great perks; fun office activities like museum visits and guest speakers; high impact organization; great partners; site visits

Cons

can be very slow to approve projects/expenses

Continue reading
  4. "Wake up knowing you're doing good for the world"

Current Employee - Major Gifts Officer

I have been working at National Park Foundation full-time for less than a year

Pros

My parents always told me to find something I am passionate about, and find a way to make money doing it. Working for the National Park Foundation (NPF) has provided that special combination. The NPF team is hard working, and 200% committed to the preservation and betterment of our incomparable national parks. It's an inspiring group to be a part of. The work culture is also top notch. People take great pride in their work, and at the same time, NPF recognizes that everyone has interests, family, and commitments outside of the office. All around, this is fantastic organization and I feel very fortunate to be on the team.

Cons

The retirement match and vacation are not quite as favorable as I had with previous employers, but they seem standard for the industry.

5. "Great Personnel, but little focus on support and growth."

Current Employee - Senior Coordinator

I have been working at National Park Foundation full-time

Pros

Good city center location and friendly working environment.

Cons

At will employment, Employees are often let go with no warning or improvement period. There is often no room for verticle growth and support for improving employee skillset. Employees feel slightly expendable.

Continue reading
  6. "Growing Company with Room for Improvement"

4.0
    Current Employee - Specialist

I have been working at National Park Foundation full-time for less than a year

Pros

Great benefits, generally a positive office atmosphere (though on the quieter side), and friendly coworkers. It's clear it's a growing organization that is actively working to keep up with the demands of an expanding staff, and that such efforts are well conceived.

Cons

There seems to be a lot of turnover, though there are some processes in development to help with retention. The interview and onboarding processes were a bit unorganized, but from my understanding this was due to internal staffing changes in the HR department specific to that instance.

"Inclusive Culture"

Current Employee - Associate in Washington, DC

I have been working at National Park Foundation full-time for less than a year

Pros

The executive team and the departments help each other across different levels. NPF wants to see results and will cheer you on. There is a lot of encouragement here, team collaboration, and passion. There is a career path and advancement opportunity; whether lateral moves or becoming the best subject matter expert, NPF provides tools for each to succeed individually based on individual talent that will benefit the organization as a whole. If you work hard and are determined to learn and grow both professionally and personally then you'll do well. NPF is the best corporate culture I have experienced in my career thus far.

Cons

Not applicable for right now at this juncture.

Continue reading
  8. "A positive environment invested in our holistic well-being."

Current Employee - Anonymous

I have been working at National Park Foundation full-time for less than a year

Pros

Great benefits that allow for work life balance immediately after starting, wellness seminars, enthusiastic team members who actually love and are passionate about their jobs, opportunities to get out of the office with colleagues on work time to experience the National Parks firsthand, an abundance of snack and healthy options (the fridge always has ice cream), casual Fridays... And the team is always looking for a reason to celebrate something, and a way to improve ourselves. A positive vibe.

Cons

I really honestly can't think of any....

9. "Great Mission, Tremendous Potential"

4.0
    Current Employee - Senior Manager in Washington, DC

I have been working at National Park Foundation full-time for more than a year

Pros

The staff care deeply about the mission and the national parks. The organization is growing and experiencing some growing pains in the process, but this makes for a dynamic office environment. The organization has tremendous potential and I am excited about the future.

Cons

Working side by side with the National Park Service is deeply rewarding, but requires a great deal of patience.

"Senior Manager"

I worked at National Park Foundation full-time

Pros

Amazing mission, hard-working colleagues, and partners

Cons

No interest in clear paths for staff growth within the organization

Found 15 reviews