National Parks Conservation Association Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated July 21, 2017

4.1
Tom Kiernan

Sort: PopularRatingDate

"Good mission, good team"

Current Employee - Senior Coordinator in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Coordinator in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at National Parks Conservation Association full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

People working across the nation at NPCA are passionate, knowledgeable and friendly. The perks of getting out into the parks is a great one. People here work hard and love what they do.

Cons

In the field and regional offices the opportunities for moving up the ladder can be limited. However, I have seen people do it especially if they are willing to change regions or move to the DC office.

2. "Awesome environment and great place to excel in project management and public outreach."

Former Intern - Regional Operations in New York, NY
    Former Intern - Regional Operations in New York, NY

I worked at National Parks Conservation Association as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

Working for the National Parks Conservation Association was a rewarding experience. I was able to meet many government officials, work on independent projects, and wasn't constrained to working in an office everyday during my internship.

Cons

Lack of communication at times.

"Great Mission, but feeling Stagnant"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

Pros

Great mission, smart, passionate people. Most employees go home between 5-6 every night, and many of us get to travel to national parks as part of our jobs. Good workplace culture, especially among lower-middle levels of staff.

Cons

Executive leadership is mediocre. Most VPs have been at NPCA for 10-15 years, and would be hard-pressed to find top-level jobs at other organizations, so they aren't going anywhere anytime soon. Which means the up-and-coming staff rise to a certain point, then leave. New CEO comes from corporate environment and has struggled to put his imprint on the organization, as he doesn't seem sure how to contribute. When VPs disagree with one another, no one has the power to make a decision over the other's objections, so conflicts remain unsolved. Recently, the organization has been talking to oil companies involved in a new park proposal in Texas--strange bedfellows considering our focus on fracking, climate change, etc.

Advice to Management

Shake things up--the same people in the same roles means the same thing year after year. NPCA's name and brand are worth more than you think--stop partnering with organizations that stain our name.

4. "The best internship I've had, gave me so much to work with and worked with the best of people"

Current Intern - Anonymous Intern in Washington, DC
    Current Intern - Anonymous Intern in Washington, DC

I have been working at National Parks Conservation Association as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

Everyone clearly has a passion here, and it shows in the team building that this organization has developed.
    My colleagues and supervisors, up to the top of executive level were always finding ways to benefit my internship.
    I am extremely grateful for the experience this internship has given me and the opportunity that I have had working with very cooperative, understanding, and wonderful people.
    I would highly recommend an internship with NPCA to anyone who enjoys fast paced, but also cooperative organizations

Cons

With the many structured teams within the organization, it was sometimes difficult to gain sufficient knowledge of executive decisions

Advice to Management

Keep up the great work!

"Once great, but failing to meet current funding needs"

Former Employee - Director in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Director in Washington, DC

I worked at National Parks Conservation Association full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

It was great to be able to work with people who have passion for the mission.

Cons

Leadership lacks the ability to gain strength from cross-functional integration. As well, they lack the ability to be proactive regarding funding.

6. "Summer Internship in Field Office-Policy Researcher"

Former Intern - SummerWildlife Conservation and Policy
    Former Intern - SummerWildlife Conservation and Policy

I worked at National Parks Conservation Association as an intern (More than a year)

Pros

Near complete autonomy over daily work and research project; received light direction and helpful feedback from permanent employees; field offices operate seemingly at their own discretion but in coordination with HQ plans and projects. Full-time employees are encouraged to visit national parks, and are given sabbatical leave to do so.

Cons

Field office can feel like a separate organization from HQ, simply as a result of the autonomy. Hard to get a sense of the atmosphere at NPCA as a whole, as each office will be different.

7. "Loved NPCA"

Current Intern - Anonymous Intern
    Current Intern - Anonymous Intern

I have been working at National Parks Conservation Association as an intern

Pros

-Given projects that challenge and build upon your skill set
    -Lovely work environment
    -The freedom to work independently but still able to ask questions or for help

Cons

-No Cons to report about this company

Advice to Management

-None

8. "Great place to work."

I have been working at National Parks Conservation Association full-time

Pros

Great nonprofit organization mission. Coworkers are passionate about what they do, friendly, respectful. Flexible schedules and teleworking permitted. Decent health benefits. Nice new office space and good location in downtown DC.

Cons

Not many downsides of working here, especially if you believe in the mission of protecting the parks! For some, the pay might be lower than what they're used to, but it's typical of non profits.

"great place to work"

I have been working at National Parks Conservation Association full-time

Pros

Positive atmosphere, great work life balance

Cons

Not enough room for advancement

"It depends on the department and program"

I have been working at National Parks Conservation Association full-time

Pros

The mission. The people (for the most part).

Cons

Leadership at the Sr. Director, and VP level.
    Pay scale - Most VPs make 6 figures. Most Sr. Coordinators qualify for housing vouchers.
    Not a good fit for introverts.