KEY NOT FOUND: coverImgAlt

National Parks Conservation Association Reviews

Updated Jun 11, 2021

Found 23 of over 23 reviews

4.4
National Parks Conservation Association President Tom Kiernan (no image)
Tom Kiernan
  1. 5.0
    Former Employee, less than 1 year

Fantastic Organization Making a Real Difference

Jun 11, 2021 - Anonymous Employee
    Business Outlook

Pros

The organization is truly committed to the cause of preserving and protecting national parks and has built a wonderful morale internally. They also truly value work/life balance.

Cons

Having teams spread out all across the country can make it sometimes hard to connect with coworkers.

2. 5.0
    Former Employee

Wonderful Organization to Work For!

Mar 10, 2021 - Communications
    Business Outlook

Pros

The organization truly values their staff and really prioritizes work life balance.

Cons

Given that the organization is spread all across the country, it can be difficult to coordinate with team members or various offices.

3. 5.0

Fantastic Environment, Great People

Feb 2, 2021 - Intern in Washington, DC
    Business Outlook

Pros

- Great company culture, everyone really cares about what they do - Interesting work and a great network of resources and people

Cons

- Work can be a little slow at times - Salary isn't great, but that's to be expected at any non-profit

4. 4.0
    Current Employee

It’s okay

Apr 7, 2021 - Senior Coordinator in Washington, DC
    Business Outlook

Pros

Flexible work schedule, nice people

Cons

Old people in charge have old ways of thinking, no way to move up

5. 5.0
    Former Intern, less than 1 year

Working here was an absolute blast!

Jan 14, 2021 - Parks
    Business Outlook

Pros

This was my first Nonprofit internship, and it was an absolute blast. The coworkers were awesome and friendly. The hours and pay were great.

Cons

Sitting out in the sun during summer can be a bit difficult

6. 5.0
    Former Intern, less than 1 year

Easy-going but highly focused and competent

Jun 10, 2020 - Government Affairs Fellow in Washington, DC
    Business Outlook

Pros

Very friendly, family-focused, incredibly motivated workplace that gives plenty of autonomy but also a really great organizational culture. Everyone is friendly and inviting and they do fantastic, important work.

Cons

I truly can't think of any. I loved my time at NPCA.

7. 4.0
    Current Employee, more than 1 year

Overall Good Place to Work

Dec 18, 2019 - Senior Coordinator in Washington, DC
    Business Outlook

Pros

They really value work life balance here. I am RARELY asked to stay late and if I am they give me comp time to make up for it. My boss also allows me to work from home once a week, which has been a game changer for me. They also generally give employees opportunities to apply for vacant position and if you are up for doing the job they promote from within.

Cons

There is no way to move up unless a position opens or is created so if you're looking to move up quickly or even at a predictable pace that's not possible. The CEO also makes WAY too much money compared to the rest of our executive team (which is public info on the 990). They pay below market rate for non profits, which the market rate is already super low. Other than that the benefits are good though.

8. 3.0

Intern

Jul 24, 2019 - Anonymous Intern
    Business Outlook

Pros

Everyone at this office is nice, easy to work with. It’s an older company so it’s very well organized.

Cons

I interned here at HQ and applied to 2 positions. I did not hear back from either of them, not even a rejection containing feedback on why they rejected me. I feel like this tells a lot about company. Also the pace of NPCA is so slow and they are really getting behind on technology/science etc I just feel like it might not be a good choice for long-term careers.

9. 3.0
    Current Employee, more than 8 years

Great Mission, but feeling Stagnant

Oct 31, 2014 - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC
    Business Outlook

Pros

Great mission, smart, passionate people. Most employees go home between 5-6 every night, and many of us get to travel to national parks as part of our jobs. Good workplace culture, especially among lower-middle levels of staff.

Cons

Executive leadership is mediocre. Most VPs have been at NPCA for 10-15 years, and would be hard-pressed to find top-level jobs at other organizations, so they aren't going anywhere anytime soon. Which means the up-and-coming staff rise to a certain point, then leave. New CEO comes from corporate environment and has struggled to put his imprint on the organization, as he doesn't seem sure how to contribute. When VPs disagree with one another, no one has the power to make a decision over the other's objections, so conflicts remain unsolved. Recently, the organization has been talking to oil companies involved in a new park proposal in Texas--strange bedfellows considering our focus on fracking, climate change, etc.

6 people found this review helpful
  10. 5.0
    Former Intern, more than 1 year

Summer Internship in Field Office-Policy Researcher

Jul 21, 2017 - SummerWildlife Conservation and Policy
    Business Outlook

Pros

Near complete autonomy over daily work and research project; received light direction and helpful feedback from permanent employees; field offices operate seemingly at their own discretion but in coordination with HQ plans and projects. Full-time employees are encouraged to visit national parks, and are given sabbatical leave to do so.

Cons

Field office can feel like a separate organization from HQ, simply as a result of the autonomy. Hard to get a sense of the atmosphere at NPCA as a whole, as each office will be different.

Viewing 1 - 10 of 23 Reviews