National Positions Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-time Part-time

3.7
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Bernard May

Pros
  • Not a bad place to learn the basics of SEO, if you can stand to stick around long enough (in 4 reviews)

• Other employees make this a great place to be (in 5 reviews)

Cons

1. "Really enjoyed working at NP"

I worked at National Positions full-time

Pros

collaborative office environment, young and smart coworkers, management is super flexible and willing to hear your concerns

Cons

if things were managed better, or if office morale was higher, the company would be a lot more profitable

Advice to Management

you desperately need to boost morale around the office, and place more efficient systems into daily operations

2. "Great company with lots of room to grow!"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Agoura Hills, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Agoura Hills, CA

I worked at National Positions full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Beautiful office. If you're good, you'll rise quick.

Cons

When you pitch innovations, keep in mind that you'll be in charge of executing them. This is a good and a bad thing.

Advice to Management

Be more straightforward with your staff, but otherwise, keep up the good work!

3. "Phenomenal Place to Get Experience"

Current Employee - Project Manager in Westlake Village, CA
    Current Employee - Project Manager in Westlake Village, CA

I have been working at National Positions full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

This is my first job out of college. I love this place and have learnt a huge amount. The people are nice. The work is very interesting. The company culture is fun and the people here work hard but also like to have fun. There is a lot to do and you never get bored.

Cons

You have to work hard, the company is focused on getting results and working on client tasks. This is not an environment for people who like to slack off.

Advice to Management

I like the new branding and direction. I like what you are doing.

"This place is a joke, don't believe the falsified reviews"

Former Employee - Marketing Specialist in Agoura, CA
    Former Employee - Marketing Specialist in Agoura, CA

I worked at National Positions full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Not many. A decent office space. An okay place to get your feet wet in organic marketing tools and to gain a quick understanding of SEO. Some cool people who work there.

Cons

Bernard is trifling. Upper management sucks. The job itself is not motivating. They employ a lot of smart people and don't provide the tools to make them successful. They treat clients like expendable assets and don't have an innovative long term approach. Very much a "me too" agency. They under-compensate and try to make it seem like they're up with the times.

Advice to Management

Get a new CEO. Bernard is not doing anything for the future of this business.

6. "The Truth"

Current Employee - Program Manager in Woodland Hills, CA
    Current Employee - Program Manager in Woodland Hills, CA

I have been working at National Positions full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

This is one of the best companies that I worked for. I'm working with a GREAT group of professionals and friends. Management is great and is committed to achieving the BEST Customer Support.

Cons

I've been here for over 2.5 years. Were all very close. Its hard for me to read about disgruntled employees false statements and accusations. Its hard for management to let an employee go, but it was for the best.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work

"This place is crazy"

I worked at National Positions full-time

Pros

The writing and content strategy teams are very talented. I was amazed at how much they were able to achieve with limited manpower and so few resources available. This is a great place to learn if you're new to the field because it's always forcing you to go beyond yourself and conjure up creative solutions for the seemingly impossible. This job helped me develop strong communication and time-management skills, and it also made me a better project manager.

Cons

Management doesn't understand the concept of being proactive, which leads to crisis at nearly every corner. The CEO has trouble receiving constructive criticism (from any level) and seems perfectly content maintaining the status quo. Upper management engages in petty politics that negatively affect communications between staff.

Top talent have the heaviest burden with an ever-increasing workload that results in a high turnover. They are expected to do the job of 5 people for the salary of 0.5 people.

Minimal training. No company culture. No incentives. No future.

Advice to Management

I'd offer my advice but it wouldn't do any good. I see no real potential for change here unless management is replaced with more effective leaders.

"I was there longer than anyone, here is the TRUTH - stepping stone but not much more"

Former Employee - Client Partner in Westlake Village, Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Client Partner in Westlake Village, Los Angeles, CA

I worked at National Positions full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The pay is good for a select few employees and there are good people there who bond over shared experiences. It is a good place to learn how to "spin" bad news to both clients and accusatory managers. You can learn a lot here as you have to come up with your own solutions for clients that are usually not qualified for SEO and do not have effective products in their SEO campaigns, while still navigating office poltics and clumsy management. You can grow your skills and it looks good on your resume

Cons

There is a lot of needless office politics here from a select few who think others care as much as they do about the 'power'-balance of a sinking ship. Managers will come in your office and talk smack about other managers while you pretend to be interested in what they have to say.

They are requiring employees to leave false 5 star glassdoor and facebook reviews, because they cannot generate it on their own, even though they sell a reviews management product.

The CFO doesn't know anything and harasses all of the female employees. His penny-pinching, favoritism and his rotten personality have driven out the knowledgeable employees from the company so he can replace them with more women to harass. He has placed stringent requirements on phone time, upsells and other items for customer service team as numbers are the only things his brain can comprehend. He thinks that account managers need to be 'more sexy' on the phone, as this is more important than effective products and management. His ego made him believe he could be the messiah of National Positions but he has single-handedly lowered the employee morale to levels I did not think existed.

There is no real HR at the company to reign this guy or other predators in.

If you join the customer service team you have a 50% chance on ending up on a team with one of many pod-leaders that is allowed to be aggressive with no repercussions.

The president of the company has been trying to sell the company for a few years but is unable due to the ineffectiveness of our sales, management and products. He is a good guy with some good ideas, but unfortunately places trust in the wrong people and covers his ears against good advice.

The main thing here is, if you're looking for a career - you won't find one here. It is a good stepping stone if you can deal with it long enough, but I gave up on the long-term health of this company a long time ago.

Advice to Management

Stop reveling in being a small company after 12 years. It's not cool or something to brag about. Audit your products rather than your staff. Stop worrying about posting more fake reviews and generate them by improving your employees work-lives.

"The REAL Truth"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Westlake Village, Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Westlake Village, Los Angeles, CA

I worked at National Positions full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Pay is decent, location is nice and there are some bright personalities in the office to help offset the daily negativity.

Cons

"Disgruntled employees false statements and accusations" This, from the fake "reviews," is them covering up the truth. We saw a great employee let go over a person that is not a good leader and does not handle stress well at all. Favoritism is a big issue. This problem falls under management getting seduced by the use of flirting and sexuality. THEY KNOW EXACTLY WHAT THEY ARE DOING.
    "It's hard for management to let someone go, but it was for the best." Yeah, it was REALLY hard for them, glad they felt the need to mention it.

National Positions is all full of high school politics, cliques, bullying, and narcism. No one is very close at all. Company culture does not exist. Management expects a congratulations ceremony for providing their unhappy employees a one-off bowling outing or ice cream party. Employees are not properly trained for any position / task. After having worked at different agencies in the past, this place blew my when they specifically DEMANDED their employees to write a 5 star review on Facebook, Glassdoor, etc. because their company was not getting the positive feedback they were hoping for. No matter how badly you need the money, do not work here. You do not need more unwanted stress by a negative group of people and company. You will not grow here. You will not be praised. And after seeing it firsthand, you ABSOLUTELY WILL GET FIRED for expressing concerns, especially if they're towards management's favorites. There is no chance of winning here. You lose way before you get hired.

Advice to Management

Be a good company instead of trying to APPEAR like a good company - what good is a 5 star review if your employees are miserable?

10. "A Very Progressive Company With A Exceptional Future"

Current Employee - Client Partner in Westlake Village, Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Client Partner in Westlake Village, Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at National Positions full-time (More than a year)

Pros

National Positions is definitely one of the most dynamic environments I've experienced in my career. It also is one of the few places I've experienced where the passion of the employees directly translates into how they act with one another, how decisions are made about the experiences being delivered to the clients, and how the company is run on a day to day basis. It is a wonderfully supportive company by any standard and compared to other SEO Companies, it's no contest.

Cons

Now, that is hard to say.... But if I had to say something, I would say that National Positions is a small company that's growing fast. You need to have a proactive attitude.

Advice to Management

Do more of the same. Your doing a great Job!!!!

11. "Exciting Industry - Great Company"

Former Employee - Sales in Agoura Hills, CA
    Former Employee - Sales in Agoura Hills, CA

I worked at National Positions full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The company has a passion for Internet Marketing. I've made tons of good friends and it is fun to come to work each day. The company cares deeply about every client interaction and customer experience is very important. I feel proud of what I'm doing, which is to help company's to grow and succeed on the Internet

Cons

You have to hit quotas on the phone and number of client meetings. The team is very metric driven .

Advice to Management

Take us public one day