National Recreation and Park Association Reviews | Glassdoor

3.5
Barbara Tulipane

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "A+ Benefits"

I have been working at National Recreation and Park Association full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The benefits at NRPA are hard to beat! Besides the great insurance coverage, retirement and other options- there are wonderful benefits such as earning a day of PTO every 2 weeks, picnics in the summer, staff olympics and retreats... the list goes on! Our office is right on a beautiful pond with walking trails and we are dog friendly. There are a lot of women who are in management positions here which is a huge plus and very nice to see for once. I love coming to work everyday because my co-workers are some of the best people I've ever met. As a young professional, I really feel that NRPA values my growth and professional development and wants to help me to grow my career and knowledge.

Cons

Not too many come to mind, honestly. But, every place you go will have a couple grumpy employees and managers that may be a little crazy. In my opinion, none of that even comes close to dimming everything else wonderful about NRPA!

Aug 18, 2017 – Senior Human Resources Manager

Thank you for taking the time to let us know how we are doing. It is good to hear you enjoy coming to work everyday and thanks for your hard work!

2. "NRPA is a great place to work!"

Former Employee - Senior Manager of Membership in Ashburn, VA
    Former Employee - Senior Manager of Membership in Ashburn, VA

I worked at National Recreation and Park Association full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

NRPA is a supportive environment where women are leaders and lift up one another. I have never experienced this at any other company I have worked at. The leadership and support both personally and professionally, its truly unprecedented. I enjoyed coming to work everyday the people there are exceptional. The building backs up to a beautiful lake, it is a very peaceful environment.

Cons

I highly recommend NRPA as a place to learn and grow!

Advice to Management

Its exciting to watch the growth and development of young professionals. Please continue the path of developing leaders!

3. "Great learning opportunity"

I have been working at National Recreation and Park Association full-time

Pros

Staff are given great benefits and I have not received this many from another organization. There are fun activities for staff to help break up the stressful parts of the job.

Cons

Wish there was a better way to help folks from DC or Maryland find a mode of public transportation.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work. There are folks that get it and some do not. Happy employees are harder to get to on here. There are always two sides to the story.

4. "Love my job!"

Current Employee - Program Manager
    Current Employee - Program Manager

Pros

NRPA is an all around great place to work. I have had the opportunity to grow tremendously as a professional and develop my expertise in parks, health, and equity. The people are all very welcoming and work life balance is the culture. I could not have found a better place to work!

Cons

Although the offices are in Ashburn, VA (not a very walkable or accessible place), the teleworking options have allowed me to live where I desire. Over the two years I have worked here the teleworking options have improved greatly and have allowed for much more flexibility on where you can live in the DMV.

Advice to Management

Allow more folks to have an office in DC or relocate to a place that is accessible by public transportation.

5. "Creative, fun work environment"

I have been working at National Recreation and Park Association full-time

Pros

NRPA has a work hard/play hard culture that empowers employees while holding everyone, at every level, accountable for their role in fulfilling the mission of the organization.
    The environment is fast - paced and risk-taking is encouraged. Team camaraderie is at an all-time high and the staff genuinely support each other.
    The benefits, work-life balance, and mission-centric focus all make NRPA a fantastic workplace.

Cons

The location can detract talent from Washington, DC

6. "Work life balance in practice"

I have been working at National Recreation and Park Association full-time

Pros

NRPA has great benefits including generous PTO, 3 day teleworking per week, great health care, pet friendly and many other great benefits, they are always adding more. The work life balance they have created is great.

It's a place where you can grow in your career in the association world and also be involved with a great profession, parks and recreation. NRPA has won countless awards for their workplace environment and culture. This is reflected in the every day culture at NRPA, throughout the entire staff including leadership. The support of the CEO and leadership team have been instrumental in creating this culture.

Cons

The location may be difficult for some if you don't have your own transportation.

Advice to Management

Keep up the continue staff engagement and direction.

7. "A Great Place to Work"

Current Employee - Senior Manager in Ashburn, VA
    Current Employee - Senior Manager in Ashburn, VA

I have been working at National Recreation and Park Association full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

NRPA has been named a Top Place to Work, in the DC Metropolitan area, for 4 consecutive years. This is due to the the inspirational and supportive leadership of the CEO, as well as the dedicated, collaborative and creative work of the NRPA staff.
    The CEO is a highly intelligent, visionary thinker who knows how to make things happen. She is able to initiate positive change on several internal and external levels, while creating a dynamic, inspiring workplace culture.
    This CEO genuinely cares about the growth and success of the employees - a rare quality.
    NRPA offers employees the opportunity for a ( true) work-life balance with 3 telework day options per week, summer picnics, field trips and holiday parties.
    NRPA is a pet friendly.
    It is located in a beautiful park-like setting, with a lake and walking/hiking trails right out the back door.
    The employees are intelligent, diverse, respectful of each other and fun.
    NRPA has an uplifting mission that each employee stands behind in his or her own way.
    It is a highly collaborative and energizing work culture

Cons

The location is not easily accessible by public transportation.

Advice to Management

Continue to embrace all aspects of diversity.
    Stay positive!

8. "Manager"

Former Employee - Withheld in Ashburn, VA
    Former Employee - Withheld in Ashburn, VA

I worked at National Recreation and Park Association full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I thought to write after seeing a couple of recent comments on Glassdoor. My employment was wonderful. Unfortunately I was relocating.
    People who get released always feel angry especially on Friday when they have nothing to look forward to but more silence and no income. Team work and opportunities for advancement were always made available to me while at NRPA.
    Let's stop and agree there are always two sides to a story. Let's show gratitude to people who pay us a great wage with strong benefits. The Washington Post recognized NRPA as a top place to work. Those who still feel rejected should stop and consider their performance and reviews. In Virginia we are a Right to Work State. You are not entitled to compensation unless you provide results. It is a survival of the fittest locality and world in DC. Not everyone can be in the big time. I'm sure there are employers in other states who might tolerate inferior work ethics and attitudes.

Call it as you like. I was treated as an adult.

Cons

Had to relocate to another state.

Advice to Management

Trying and cut people within the first 90 days if they don't have qualities and attitudes that match with your culture.

9. "Great mission, poor leadership"

Pros

Great mission but a little too broad approach. Most of the staff is dedicated to the mission which is nice. Good benefits.

Cons

Lacking in professional leadership, very cliquish. Job security is dependent on who you are friends with not job performance. Staff is very homogeneous, no diversity at all. Ideas are welcome and accepted only if you are part of the popular group of which everyone is the same so creativity is lacking and narrow-minded thinking prevails.

Jun 23, 2017 – Human Resources Manager

I want to thank you for taking the time to give us feedback. I am sorry that your experiences at NRPA did not match the intention of what we try to provide in a workplace culture. Not every person or... More

10. "No direction, no leadership, an isolated location in NOVA"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Ashburn, VA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Ashburn, VA

Pros

My former colleagues who were not in leadership positions were great. I have no idea why most of them would stay at an organization with a dysfunctional over-paid leadership team.

Cons

CEO is a bully-uninterested in the organization, out of the office most of the time and when she is in the office very erratic and not focused. This sets the tone for the organization so unfortunately it makes for a terrible work environment.
    Also there was so much "oversharing" among employees and CEO about their personal lives very uncomfortable and not at all professional.

Advice to Management

As the CEO keeps a pretty tight rein on her employees with the reward and punishment system and the overpaid leadership team don't want to lose their cushy jobs it is up to the board look into the mis-management of the organization perhaps retire the CEO and start over.

Jun 23, 2017 – Human Resources Manager

Hello and thank you for leaving your feedback for us on Glassdoor. I am sorry that your experience did not meet your expectations while you worked at NRPA. The Washington post just named NRPA one of... More