National Recreation and Park Association Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-time Part-time

3.1
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Barbara Tulipane

1. "NRPA is a great and engaging place to work and play"

I have been working at National Recreation and Park Association full-time

Pros

NRPA opened a career path for me in associations and I'm so thankful for it. Not only is the mission and work rewarding but one of their main focuses is work life balance and they truly mean it. They have great benefits like teleworking, flexible schedules, matching 401k, tons of leave, encourage staff to participate in healthy actives and so much more. They also encourage staff to pursue professional development opportunities. NRPA's culture is one of collaboration and encouraging everyone to try new things. Its refreshing!

Cons

The only slight downside is the location, but its easy to get there.

Advice to Management

I love the opportunities and experience NRPA provides me. I look forward to the exciting new ones to come as well.

"Great career choice"

Pros

Being a new professional I couldn't have picked a better organization to start with. NRPA has allowed me to jump right in and engage in discussions and topics that I thought were once only for those higher up in organizations. They are welcoming to all voices including those that bring a different approach and view. NRPA is also an organization that prides itself on a great balance between work and life. NRPA can definitely take pride in the atmosphere it provides. The people that work here are engaging, interesting, and all around great people to work with and for. I am happy to start my career at NRPA!

Cons

While here at NRPA I have seen nothing but dedication to the field of parks and recreation from all who've worked tirelessly to bring webinars, magazines, grants, conference, and initiatives to life so I'm not sure what exactly everyone else is seeing

"Won't find another place like NRPA"

I have been working at National Recreation and Park Association full-time

Pros

There is a big focus on work/life balance which is great. The company has so many benefits available to staff that I do not think I will ever find again. I hear a lot of my peers say the same thing. To name a few we get 75% of our medical deductible funded by NRPA, 6% matching and an immediate vesting schedule for the 403(b) contributions, free dental for staff, 6 weeks of PTO, 13 paid holidays, 2 weeks of mandatory working from home, teleworking opportunities, summer cookouts, a pet friendly office and a building/location that allows staff to get outside and take a break.

NRPA is also stepping up their health and wellness and conservation initiatives for staff because they care about them. All staff are given the chance to participate in those activities. We also get opportunities to get out and see what is going on outside of the office.

NRPA is not afraid to try new things and encourages everyone to do just that.

Cons

That it can better develop a diverse culture where candidates/staff come from different backgrounds and maximize our ability to think about things differently when it comes to tackling ideas or programs. Senior leadership is on board to make this happen which is nice to know.

Advice to Management

Remember that NRPA has won awards for the last three years as a Top Workplace thanks to the staff. They do not complete reviews on Glassdoor because they are happy working here. It makes it hard when exiting staff leave reviews because they cannot separate something they perceive as personal.

It is a very different culture(for the better) then when I first started. I would not let the negative reviews discourage someone for taking a position with NRPA. Staff have a lot of expectations of them and people do not always make it. That can be very scary to someone that is not used to working for a organization that recognizes when it is not working for both parties.

It is amazing what we accomplish with about 60 people for 50,000 members and it is a testament to the great staff at NRPA.

"Great Work-Life Balance"

Pros

Great office atmosphere -- casual, yet everyone is serious about their jobs and the association's mission. I love the fact they encourage people to be active while "on the clock" with walking breaks and fitness challenges. I've never worked anywhere that emphasizes or even recognizes a need for a work-life balance but they do here. The ability to telework when I need to is refreshing.

Cons

I am not sure why some people have given such bad reviews -- that is not a universal feeling among employees.

6. "I enjoy coming to work!"

Pros

There are great people working here! NRPA is very flexible about your work schedule and you get lots of vacation. It is also dog friendly (HUGE PLUS) and cares a lot about employees health. It's a great place to try new things and sharpen your skills.

Cons

Don't come here if you aren't ready to work...your skills are put to use, but it's very satisfying.

"Inconsistent and Often Callous Leadership"

Pros

Nice facility, decent benefits package, excellent mission--and their members are some of the most generous, civic-minded folks you'll ever encounter.

Cons

Leadership has treated many employees very poorly. Ex-NRPA'ers, many of whom have experienced sudden, trumped-up dismissals, trade wry jokes about NRPA-related PTSD. For years there was a very unhealthy power dynamic among the executive leadership, with a downright callous attitude toward the rank and file employees who ran the programs and interacted with the membership.

Advice to Management

The Board should ask some hard questions of the CEO about the massive turnover over the past 5-6 years and the "employees are disposable" mentality. They should examine, in particular, the recent shabby treatment of individuals who have brought NRPA's members tremendous value--through deep industry knowledge and loyal commitment to the organization's mission.

"Run Run"

Pros

Salary is good, until CEO, need to make change to budget then salary will be cut.

Cons

Location is not easy to get to and CEO is a pit bull,

Advice to Management

None, because they don't listen or take advice.

9. "In need of new leadership, talent and direction"

I worked at National Recreation and Park Association full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

close proximity to many staff who work there. nice office setting and fairly good benefits.

Cons

location limits quality of talent pool. very dysfunctional leadership and management. Board not really connected to operations, nor do they have the expertise or inclination to understand how this association needs to be run so it will actually support their industry and its professionals.

Advice to Management

I think you well know its amazing that you are still there. great gig while you can make it last.

"Terrible Place to Work!"

Former Employee - Senior Manager in Ashburn, VA
    Former Employee - Senior Manager in Ashburn, VA

I worked at National Recreation and Park Association full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Nice setting with lake in the back.

Cons

A very bad atmosphere has existed at NRPA for years with HR person now gone & the current CEO who has No experience in the Parks & Rec field. I witnessed the CEO promote people just because they were her friends all the while she would brow beat and threaten staff in their so-called meetings. What can you say about a CEO who has a member of the NRPA staff staff the night at her house to watch her dog, does she not make enough to have an outside person handle that..
     Most of the upper management at that time felt they were entitled and knew that you could never question anything they did or said as they will simply fire you, all the while saying that you didn't meet their standards. At that time in 2008-2009 you spend countless hours preparing for their crazy review, what a joke, I have never seen such convoluted review system, it was just another excuse they would give to get rid of you if you didnt finish your goals in time, what a complete disaster. It is too bad as there were many good employees who left too early and many that were fired because they didnt play their game. DO NOT EVEN CONSIDER WORKING THERE, MCDONALDS HAS BETTER MANAGEMENT!

Advice to Management

Stop threatening to fire you all the time, actually hire managers that work instead of making the staff do everything while they get the credit. The NRPA Board does not have a clue as to what is going on there with the high turnover rates, usual excuse is they say "they didnt meet their high standards' just ridiculous!

"Director, Membership"

I worked at National Recreation and Park Association full-time

Pros

Great location. Lake out back.

Cons

They had a 80 person board of directors when I worked there.

Advice to Management

Lock in on strategy