KEY NOT FOUND: coverImgAlt

National Rural Utilities Cooperative Reviews

Updated Jun 11, 2021

Found 41 of over 43 reviews

3.4
National Rural Utilities Cooperative Governor and CEO Sheldon C. Petersen (no image)
Sheldon C. Petersen
  1. 5.0
    Former Employee, more than 1 year

Hey there NRUCFC

Jun 11, 2021 - Anonymous Employee
    Business Outlook

Pros

Best environments to work with suitable offices.

Cons

I have not seen any cons working for NRUCFC

Vice President, Human Resources

We appreciate your hello and review! CFC is a unique nonprofit finance cooperative with a member-driven mission and a beautiful work environment. It is rewarding to hear that you had a positive experience working at CFC and we’re excited about the future with a new CEO and leadership team.

2. 5.0
    Current Employee, more than 1 year

Working as an Analyst

Jun 9, 2021 - Credit Analyst
    Business Outlook

Pros

Work-life balance is great and will work with you if you are sick

Cons

Poor pay but slightly above average. yet, inflation is through the roof so need more pay.

Vice President, Human Resources

Thank you for your review. We strive to provide engaging career opportunities while working with employees and managers to support their work-life balance. We do our best to support our staff through difficult times and wish you continued good health.

3. 1.0
    Former Employee

Antiquated Culture, Management, Board of Directors and Systems

May 22, 2021 - Administration in Dulles, VA
    Business Outlook

Pros

Nice Building With Free Parking

Cons

Junk Bond Rating Management, Board Consists of White Male Trump Supporters who Have Christian Prayer Before Each Neeting, Limited Groeth Potential

Vice President, Human Resources

Thank you for your feedback. We are fortunate to have a beautiful LEED Gold certified green building as our workplace. CFC is currently going through a leadership change, the first in more than 25 years with a new CEO and senior leadership team. This is an exciting time for us to consider what we can do to improve our employees’ experience at CFC. Some of the recent enhancements include new remote work and casual dress practices. At the end of the day, our goal is to ensure we have the right people with the right skills to meet the needs of our members. It is our objective to help our staff develop and grow their skills through both training and on-the job learning opportunities. As a member owned cooperative, CFC is governed by a democratically elected board of directors. While the makeup of our board is determined by our members, CFC is committed to ensuring diversity, inclusion and equity in the workplace. Employees are asked to contact the HR department, or any member of our leadership team if they have any concerns so that we may address them.

4. 2.0
    Current Employee, more than 8 years

ehh

Apr 13, 2021 - Analyst in Dulles, VA
    Business Outlook

Pros

None CFC is a stale environment

Cons

Supervisor was a micro manager

Vice President, Human Resources

We appreciate your review. With a new CEO and senior leadership team as of June 2021, we are taking steps to get employee feedback and align our total rewards programs to attract and retain talented employees. This includes remote work and more flexible attire options. We are committed to our collaborative service-oriented culture while continually improving our employee experience.

5. 5.0
    Current Employee, less than 1 year

Excellent Company

Jun 9, 2019 - Anonymous Employee in Dulles, VA
    Business Outlook

Pros

Company culture is unlike any other workplace-- people actually care and value the job that you do. The management team in my department greatly value your feedback and consistently express the importance of having different views and ideas for any project. Having this open mindedness helps us overall develop ideas and work through projects at a higher level. The team is comprised of a great group of people who know how to work hard and have some fun in the process. I can easily say that I enjoy coming to work, putting my all in what I do and knowing I have support of knowledgable leadership and friendly co-workers. On-site gym and great health benefits program. Lots of opportunities to learn and grow-- especially if you're new to the electric co-op industry. Stunning corporate building that's LEED certified.

Cons

None at the moment.

6. 5.0
    Current Employee

Great Company

Aug 2, 2019 - Credit Analyst
    Business Outlook

Pros

- Management actually cares for you. Managers will take time to speak with you whenever needed and will give appropriate feedback. They want you to succeed whether it's in or out of the company. - Pay is competitive with the area and could be better, but benefits are great. - Great work-life balance with management and an HR department that understands when you're sick or when stuff happens - Flexible work time

Cons

- No ability to work from home at all

7. 4.0
    Former Employee

NRUC is a great place to work, however it is not the right fit for everyone.

Aug 17, 2009 -
    Business Outlook

Pros

The work-life balance at NRUC is very reasonable. The hours and stress levels at work are to a minimum, and they are one of the few companies that still have a benefit plan that pays 1/2 your wages after you retire.

Cons

The turnover rate of employees at this company are very slow. The chances of advancement are determined if someone dies or gets fired. And both are not likely.

8. 1.0
    Former Employee, more than 5 years

Bad Place to Work

May 3, 2015 - Anonymous Employee
    Business Outlook

Pros

- New building surrounded by nature, with a small gym - Defined pension - Nice employees

Cons

- Lack of concern for employees. Do not expect HR to keep information confidential or have an objective view on a situation. They will always side with management. - Lack of career growth. There is little to no room for advancement. Management tried to apply a new position and compensation structure in one department that only achieved to demoralize the entire staff, a strategy to probably push all of them to leave. - Poor compensation structure. Salaries are below industry standards. Also, do not expect to be paid according to your skill set, regardless of gaining additional skills and certifications while working in the organization. - Lack of sincere employee recognition . Do not expect to be recognized for your hard work. Instead, get skilled at hobnobbing regardless if you put out bad results. - Few incompetent managers. In this company, a manager is not required to have experience or knowledge in his function. - Telecommuting is not allowed. If an employee should decide not to come to work due to extremely bad weather condition (where most establishments have closed), he is forced to use his vacation leave. However, certain contractors can get away with working from home.

6 people found this review helpful
  9. 5.0
    Current Employee

CFC Offers Great Opportunities Across the Board!

Jul 21, 2015 - Communications in Dulles, VA
    Business Outlook

Pros

The management at CFC gives new employees the opportunity to jump right into projects outside of their respected groups. The headquarters is amazing and the staff represent the definition of hospitality. The member-focused nature of working at a cooperative really adds a unique personal attachment and care for the work taking place. Employees with little experience in the electric industry or with cooperatives are given all of the tools needed to be successful at CFC!

Cons

Located north of the Dulles Airport, CFC offers great scenery around the workplace, but the commute can be a little long at time if living south or east of the headquarters (typical for DC metro).

10. 3.0
    Former Employee, more than 1 year

Management needs to focus on Corporate Improvements which will also benefit the Members

Jul 5, 2014 - Corporate in Dulles, VA
    Business Outlook

Pros

Beautiful work environment and on site gym.

Cons

Long term employees who do not have vision for change or want to make changes, or do not have the skills to move the company forward. Many outdated systems and processes lead to inefficient work products and mistakes. Work-life balance goal is not evident in all groups.

2 people found this review helpful