National Security Agency Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated February 14, 2019

3.7
General Paul M. Nakasone

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "Good work life balance since you can't take anything out of the SCIF to work at home" (in 18 reviews)

• "Talented people to work wit; with an in-house school and money for outside classes - lots of opportunities to get better at what you do" (in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • "There are no cons at working there" (in 4 reviews)

• "The massive bureaucracy present in any large organization is also a part of the NSA" (in 3 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Great mission, with organizational/management effectiveness on an upswing"

Former Employee - Program/Project Manager in Fort George G Meade, MD
    Former Employee - Program/Project Manager in Fort George G Meade, MD

I worked at National Security Agency full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

I retired after 35+ years, and the biggest plus that entire time was the missions that I supported to improve our nation's security posture. The psychological advantages of being able to directly influence the advantages of our troops overrode most of the negatives that came along with working for a very large agency with standard 10-year re-organizations. Terrific benefits and travel opportunities, and I never had any real complaints regarding promotions or pay.

Cons

Hard to lay any blame, given the perpetual headaches involved in being not only under-funded, but also haphazardly funded (due to ill-effects of annual Continuing Resolution confusion), but it always seemed that management was a half-step behind in addressing glaring problems. Again, tough to lay blame.

Advice to Management

COMMUNICATE MORE AT EVERY LEVEL (this was improving over my last one and a half years). I just can't say enough about the benefit to the workforce of sharing relevant knowledge and news as soon as it is available.

"NSA is Exceptional Employer"

Current Employee - Manager in Columbia, MD
    Current Employee - Manager in Columbia, MD

I have been working at National Security Agency full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

In-house training, financial support-continuing graduate education; flexible work schedules; emphasizes work-life balance; serve our Country!' travel opportunities CONUS and OCONUS; flexible in-house job vacancy program enabling employee upward mobility regardless of current pay-grade; highly educated work-force; learning opportunities are constant; can tailor your career with your changing interests and family needs; all your fellow employees are law-abiding citizens who've undergone security reviews; motivated atmosphere; exciting work; you learn about what's going on in the world

Cons

You have to live without your smart phone by your side. However, there are internet cafe locations with secure phone storage that allow you to access your phone on your break.

Advice to Management

Addiction is rampant in our society. Do not throw out those highly qualified employees who happen to fall victim to alcohol or prescription medication addiction and who also seek and/or are living in a recovery lifestyle. Also, keep being the great leaders you are!! Get us through this difficult time in U.S. history!! We are with you!!

3. "Current SIGINT analyst at NSA"

Current Employee - Sigint Analyst in Fort Meade, MD
    Current Employee - Sigint Analyst in Fort Meade, MD

I have been working at National Security Agency full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Flexible work hours, good benefits

Cons

low ceiling for many job openings

4. "It's what you make of it."

Current Employee - Branch Chief in Fort Meade, MD
    Current Employee - Branch Chief in Fort Meade, MD

I have been working at National Security Agency full-time

Pros

Tons of opportunity to grow
    Meaningful mission

Cons

Moves at the speed of government

"Poor people skills"

Former Employee - Staff Officer in Fort Meade, MD
    Former Employee - Staff Officer in Fort Meade, MD

I worked at National Security Agency part-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Best reasons - a sense of mission; jobs you can't find in the corporate world

Cons

Very poor people management; a strongly conservative culture of "no"; lack of interest in innovation; poor systems to support employees; a lot of lousy workspaces

Advice to Management

Look elsewhere in the IC at how they treat their people, like CIA, NGA, NRO, etc. You can do better.

"Deputy Office Director"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Fort George G Meade, MD
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Fort George G Meade, MD

I worked at National Security Agency full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Fairly stable. Can move around within the agency to different jobs.

Cons

You are subject to a lot of scrutiny especially as you get in the higher ranks. You are not free to travel anywhere you choose and you have to be careful with whom you associate with.

Advice to Management

Pay more attention to how employees are evaluated, protected etc. Fear is not a way to lead.

"Intel Analyst"

Current Employee - Intelligence Analyst in Fort Meade, MD
    Current Employee - Intelligence Analyst in Fort Meade, MD

I have been working at National Security Agency full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Do/see/learn some really cool things while helping to protect your country. You can meet some really smart, hardworking, and innovative souls in many offices. There is also no end to the variety of positions a smart analyst can take over a long career. You can easily reinvent yourself every so many years to stay fresh.

Cons

Too big of a bureaucracy. Slow to innovate. For every hard worker, there are a couple of slugs just slinking around making a paycheck.

Advice to Management

Get rid of clock-punchers.

"Great at training, awful at retaining"

I have been working at National Security Agency (More than 5 years)

Pros

Best first job you'll ever have

Cons

Security, compensation, location, parking, morale

Advice to Management

Listen to PTs

"Great Company"

I worked at National Security Agency full-time

Pros

Very friendly to those in the military

Cons

Very impervious to new changes.

"You'll do a whole lot of nada"

Current Employee - Support Staff
    Current Employee - Support Staff

I have been working at National Security Agency full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

You get to learn interesting history, visitors are enthusiastic.

Cons

No one who works here is a musuem or library professional, or even a professional historian, so there's little to learn from coworkers. If you aren't an agency employee, you're given busy work, if you're lucky, or absolutely nothing. So, so boring. Agency employees pretty much ignore the rest of us, which is rude and demoralizing.

Advice to Management

Hire people from outside the agency with professional experience in museums, libraries, and/or history.