National Security Technologies Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

3.1
Jim Holt

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Creating technologies to keep our nation secure."

Current Employee - Manager in Las Vegas, NV

I have been working at National Security Technologies full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Challenging work with a motivated team working to accomplish missions promoting the welfare of our nation. There is a wide variety of career opportunities. Strong science and engineering core advancing new technologies. 20+ unions provide a robust construction and maintenace work force. Large enough to support a full array of back office professionals essential to achieve success.

Cons

Working within government specifications and under Federal oversight requires a different mindset than a normal commercial environment. This is also a pro in that it stretches your capacity to grow and achieve career success in a different way than academic knowledge typically provides.

Advice to Management

Continue to seek ways to merge the ever growng millenial workforce and the long term experts into a thriving seamless team combining unique skill sets with fresh perspectives and efficiencies.

"Great Place To Work"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Las Vegas, NV
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Las Vegas, NV

Pros

- Safe work environment (from two perspectives: safety & ability to raise concerns and have those concerns adequately addressed)
    - All workers are treated with respect
    - Work supports national security interests and provides interesting job opportunities
    - Overall, excellent management support, in job tasks and professional growth
    - NNSA/NFO site office personnel and management provide excellent support, to include a great working relationship with contractors
    - Great pay and benefits

Cons

- Budgets are tight, which results in heavy workload.

Advice to Management

To offset tight budgets look for more ways to reduce workload, such as reducing self-imposed non-value added internal processes.

"Some silly policies"

I worked at National Security Technologies full-time

Pros

Pay is ok, most employees are enjoyable

Cons

Some silly policies that seem to depend on who you are and who you know. Some seems to be able to get away with murder while others do something wrong and are let go. Upper management is real out of touch with reality.

Advice to Management

Follow the original upper management steps and get out and talk to your employees. Seems the current management is only good at making policy and sitting in their ivory tower without a care for what the lowly employees are going through.

4. "Hostile, incompetent management"

Former Employee - Administrative in Mercury, NV
    Former Employee - Administrative in Mercury, NV

I worked at National Security Technologies full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Co workers, pay for technical people is sometimes adequate

Cons

Management rejects get transferred there when they screw up at other projects.

Advice to Management

Quit loading up useless management to save your friends.

"Company Policies and Procedures Not Applicable to Management"

Current Employee - Department Supervisor in Las Vegas, NV
    Current Employee - Department Supervisor in Las Vegas, NV

Pros

Pays well, pension, great diversity of available jobs; some hard working smart people in the non-management career hierarchy. If you march along like a good soldier you can stay forever

Cons

You often get the feeling that upper management goals are to earn big bonuses. Lots of extra work is done just to check a box that we did it with little value or benefit to the organization. Process is king even if it doesn't make sense or add value. Policies seem to be written just to control people and provide managers excuses not to pay overtime, promote, transfer, allow travel, etc, but it doesn't apply to the managers if it's inconvenient for them.

Advice to Management

Stop promoting people into management that have no leadership skills. You can't promote people based on their technical excellence, socializing with management skills, or who is sleeping with who, and then expect to "teach" them leadership. Lots of examples of this failing approach hanging around among management at all levels.

6. "Senior scientist"

Former Employee - Senior Scientist in Las Vegas, NV
    Former Employee - Senior Scientist in Las Vegas, NV

I worked at National Security Technologies full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Widely diverse work that's makes a difference in the world

Cons

Highly bureaucratic and ineffective management

Advice to Management

Focus on work for customer, not performance rewards for advanced bureaucracy

7. "Good pay, poor management"

Pros

Pay and benefits are good with PTO starting at 3 weeks per year (I think). I like to think I'm helping with our national security.

Cons

Micromanagers that don't have enough to do or are insecure in their own jobs. The company seems to growing more and more mean-spirited managers that love to blame others instead of fixing problems and moving on. No advancement unless you're buddies or know someone who knows someone in upper management. The culture is not vibrant due to employees fears of being humiliated or fired.

Advice to Management

If I thought it would help I'd give some.

"Best Career Ever!"

Current Employee - Manager in Las Vegas, NV

Pros

Diverse and inclusive culture, brilliant science, down-to-earth leadership, and incredible opportunities. It's humbling to be part of such an important mission.

Cons

As a government contractor, the number of rules can be a little challenging. Luckily, we have really smart compliance organizations that keep it straight and simple so we can focus on the mission!

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work! Thanks for listening to the employees and placing such an important focus on engagement.

9. "Good Salary, Weekends Off, Good Benefits"

Former Employee - Administration in North Las Vegas, NV
    Former Employee - Administration in North Las Vegas, NV

I worked at National Security Technologies full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Good working conditions, good benefits

Cons

It appears some jobs posted are preselected and given to people who were preciseness.

Advice to Management

Listen to staff

10. "Administrative Assistant, Engineering"

Former Employee - Administrative Assistant in Las Vegas, NV
    Former Employee - Administrative Assistant in Las Vegas, NV

I worked at National Security Technologies full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Great benefits; employee oriented; great training and college reimbursement; friendly and knowledgeable hr staff.

Cons

Management tends to be less transparent than I would have liked.

Advice to Management

None.