National Speakers Bureau (Canada) Reviews | Glassdoor

1 Rating

1. "fair"

Current Employee - Speaker in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Speaker in Chicago, IL

Pros

very good company for speakers.

Cons

travel alot and wait for long hours.

2. "Unethical, low pay, fake/passive aggressive culture - don't bother"

Former Employee - Agent in Toronto, ON (Canada)
    Former Employee - Agent in Toronto, ON (Canada)

I worked at National Speakers Bureau (Canada) full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

If you work here, you'll get to meet and represent some pretty impressive people as speakers. Definitely not worth the cons of working here, but it's the one cool thing about this gig.

Cons

Not even sure where to begin with the cons. First off, the pay.... For an industry with high commission rates on sales in the tens of thousands, the pay structure at this company is insultingly low. The base is pretty mediocre, and the upside potential in terms of commission is ridiculously low, given the way that they structure things. They'll dangle carrots in front of you, but then not give you the tools, support, or anything else that will let you actually achieve the sales you need to make it.

They're also highly unethical, despite claims to the contrary. Example.... After working there for a while, it was pretty obvious that I was unhappy. They brought me in the office and tried to convince me to quit, by saying 'we can tell you're unhappy, you can leave on your own, or you can leave the decision in our hands.' When I told them I didn't want to quit (I knew I couldn't get EI if I did, or else I would have quit way before then ), they immediately told me that they were going to let me go. Clearly, they had already made the decision that they wanted me gone, but I'm sure they figured they could get me to quit so they wouldn't have to pay severance.

There's also a culture of excessive positivity, so basically, any sort of critique is seen as being a downer and contrary to the team's essence, and you'll definitely be an outcast. Because of this, they have HUGE blinders on when it comes to the realities of the business and the industry, often trying way too hard to spin anything negative that happens into a positive as opposed to just dealing with it directly.

For these and other reasons, despite how 'cool' it might seem or sound to work here, I'd highly recommend against it.

"Fun people, excellent work, mediocre pay"

Current Employee - Agent in Vancouver, BC (Canada)
    Current Employee - Agent in Vancouver, BC (Canada)

I have been working at National Speakers Bureau (Canada) full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Working with great speakers and clients. Exciting events and meet up's.

Cons

Slow to promote and give raises.

Advice to Management

Meet with employees more often - provide annual reviews and work on better employee retention.