National Stores Inc. Reviews | Glassdoor

1.4
Michael Fallas

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • No raises or incentives for regular store employees or key holders (in 6 reviews)

• They change upper management every month (in 5 reviews)

1. "ITS HELPDESK TECK"

I have been working at National Stores Inc. full-time

Pros

Nice people to work for

Cons

not enough parking for employees to park in

2. "Manager"

I have been working at National Stores Inc. full-time (More than a year)

Pros

it's a pay check

Cons

everything! unprofessional upper /senior management, they don't pay their rent or utilities to the point they are shut off, non of the profits go back into the stores.

Advice to Management

GET IN TOGETHER

"Like Working in a 3rd World Country"

I have been working at National Stores Inc. full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I'm trying really hard to think of just one thing, but there really aren't any positive aspects of working for this company. It's unbelievably, indescribably a complete joke of a mess.

Cons

-Micromanagement to the fullest extent.
    -I'm a store manager, I have 2 weeks of vacation time, I have no sick pay, no holiday pay. I'm expected to work Thanksgiving, full business day on Christmas, and every other holiday. We're open all day on Christmas, and there's no time and a half for hourly employees or any other incentive for them to work in the store, so most of them choose to not show up, and stay home with their families...I don't blame them. This company does not care at all about you, your family, your safety, or your life.
    -50 hour minimum for store managers, with about 15 weeks a year that your required to work a 6 day, 60 hour week, you're usually told the week of. You have NO control of your store's schedule. Although every store is different; different peak times, traffic patterns, etc. the schedule is done by template, written by someone who doesn't work in a store, and it's the same company wide. You don't write your schedule, and they won't tell you this in your interview...because they know you wouldn't accept the job if you knew in advance.
    -The company has no plan, direction, or consideration of the big picture or end goals, every decision is made last minute. As in, you'll get text messages from your DM at 11pm telling you to have 8 people at work at 6am, because of some pointless project that has no sales impact, that some random person, with no retail knowledge in the corporate office decided is more important than anything on the planet. This isn't an exaggeration, it's more common than not.
    -DMs, Regionals, VP's are poor leaders, don't teach, develop, or train. Don't lead by example, are demotivating to store teams, dress and speak poorly, and treat store associates with little to no respect.
    -Negative environment with low pay.
    -Terrible PAYROLL. You could double, even triple your sales plan, but don't expect more payroll to cover the extra business. If the company usually sends you 500 boxes of shipment a week, but they decide to send you 1,500 boxes one week...nope...no extra hours for that either.
    -90% of the stores are in terrible neighborhoods. The company had LP personnel until they were all laid off in March 2017, now it's just you...and the hood. Lol
    -No plan from the company, means you CAN NOT have a plan to be successful in your store, priorities and tasks change on a daily basis, it's completely the norm. They expect your employees to have no lives outside of work, because their schedule changes on a daily basis.
    -STORES ARE DISASTROUS COMPANY WIDE!!! I'm not talking messy discount store customers. I mean, holes in the roof, holes in walls, leaking ceilings, broken air conditioners, working in a 110 degree store, working in a 40 degree store, electrical issues, flickering lights, non-lighted parking lots, broken registers, broken safes, broken sinks, broken toilets, bugs, mice, vagrants living in the parking lot, robberies, broken windshields, homeless people using your floor as a bathroom...I could go on and on and on, the point is: it's awful and they'll never fix it. ANY OF IT.
    -No one here loves their job, that's an awful thing to live with everyday. They do what they have to do to keep their paycheck. It's not fun.

Advice to Management

1. You purchase too much product, that's where your losing money. Spend the money on payroll, so that stores can be neat, clean, and organized, instead of crammed to the brim with nonsensical product. If you're doing 2,000 units of markdowns on a weekly basis..IT'S BECAUSE YOU BUY WAYYYY TOO MUCH OF THE WRONG PRODUCT.

2. PLAN PROJECTS FOR THE FOLLOWING WEEK, SO THEY CAN BE WRITTEN INTO THE SCHEDULE, & STORE TEAMS CAN PLAN TO BE SUCCESSFUL. Is winging it regularly, a viable solution??

3. People..People..PEOPLE!!!! You treat them terribly, and expect them to be committed to working hard. Employees don't care about the company they work for..it's a fact. Treat them fairly and with respect, don't expect them to work in unsafe, unclean, filthy stores. Don't expect them to change their schedules on a daily basis. Don't expect them to understand that merit increases don't exist at this company. Don't expect them to be okay with not receiving holiday pay on Christmas Day. Your poor treatment of employees is your single biggest profit killer, and will likely be what undoes this company.

4. Think about Commitment vs. Compliance. INSPIRE COMMITMENT, and people are dedicated to working hard, because they care and take pride in their work and the company they work for. DEMAND COMPLIANCE, and people do what they gotta do to get by, aka the bare minimum. Where do you guys think you're at on that spectrum?

5. Hire Talent..more importantly, be a place that talented leaders want to work. Most DMs and RMs here, are people that I would 100% pass on, as an assistant manager candidate. Seriously.

6. "Fail to plan, Plan to fail" It's not just a thing people say, its really how stuff works in life. Enough said.

6. Be ashamed of yourselves...I have to say...What is wrong with you people?? All the way up to the owner/ president Mr. Fallas himself: the company you run/own is absolutely shameful. If my name was plastered on this building...I would want it removed, or I'd change my last name...but, it's you're mess, I guess you should own up to it.

To all of you job seekers out there: I know this sounds like one of those unrealistic, angry employee reviews, that you have to take with a grain of salt...but, it's not..honestly, this is the terrible reality of working in 90% of these stores..It could be good, but the people at the top will never let it be that way. Don't do it, find work elsewhere...I wish that I had. Good Luck!!

4. "Store Manager"

Current Employee - Store Manager

I have been working at National Stores Inc. full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

A paycheck no other pro

Cons

Terrible company. No care for employees at any level. Communication and directives to store personnel have no structure or consistency. Payroll is beyond insufficient to run buildings and stores are not maintained in any way whatsoever. No one receives any annual increases or merit increases unless they are promoted. No development at any level. Work anywhere but here

Advice to Management

Managers are crippled by poor decisions by the owner.

"Manager"

Former Employee - Manager in Fresno, CA
    Former Employee - Manager in Fresno, CA

I worked at National Stores Inc. full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Not many pros in fact the only positive thing I can say is that I met some really great employees and customers that I'll miss very much.

Cons

I don't suggest applying for any position at this company. When in left corp seemed to not know what they were doing and some of the things they had us doing were on the shady side. Also it got to the point we were threatened with our jobs on almost a daily basis. Complete turn around from when I started at this company which is a shame. I was really hoping for a future with this company but was shocked with the outcome and couldn't wait to run as far as I can away from this horrible environment.

Advice to Management

Corp needs to do better.

6. "Do not consider for a job opportunity"

Pros

Variety of tasks to complete, never bored

Cons

Responsibilities can change hourly creating chaos

Advice to Management

Owners need to create a viable mission statement and execute it consistently

7. "Owner could care less about all the hard working employees"

I have been working at National Stores Inc. full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Best thing about this company is all the great hard working employees.

Cons

The pay sucks!! There are no raises even for people who have worked for this company for years. Only management is paid a good rate. Unfortunately management doesn't fight for their other associates when it comes to getting raises. The owner DOES NOT CARE ABOUT THE CONDITION OF SOME OF HIS STORES!!!! Some of these stores are in the some of the most Dangerous Neighborhoods with no kind of security for the customers or employees. WORSE COMPANY I HAVE EVER WORKED FOR!!!!!

Advice to Management

Fight for all your hard working associates they deserve so much more for keeping every one of these stores together even for the little pay they get

"Run away"

I have been working at National Stores Inc. full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great associates that give their all.

Cons

Owner of the company treats everyone like garbage. They expect work to be completed with no hours. They change instructions and processes every two seconds. They change upper management every month. They send you tons of merchandise and expect perfect floors.

Advice to Management

Respect your customers and associates.

"District Manager"

I have been working at National Stores Inc. full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Never take a job with this company

Cons

No professionalism at all within the company

Advice to Management

Treat your people with respect

10. "They teach you a lot about retail"

Former Employee - Assistant Manager in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Assistant Manager in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at National Stores Inc. full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I know my stuff if o we're working for a retail company that cared cause Fallas teaches you a lot

Cons

They could careless about anything but sales

Advice to Management

Get ready for the ride of your life