National Student Clearinghouse Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-time Part-time

3.6
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Ricardo D. Torres

Pros
  • It is such a wonderful work environment with a strong emphasis on work/life balance (in 9 reviews)

• NSC has a great benefits package, solid management and room to grow a career (in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • Favoritism, nepotism, limited career path (in 3 reviews)

• We have a new management team across many departments (in 3 reviews)

1. "Administrative Assistant"

Current Employee - Administrative Assistant in Herndon, VA
    Current Employee - Administrative Assistant in Herndon, VA

I have been working at National Student Clearinghouse part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Best manager in the world
    People like to work here and with each other--
    Positive attitudes
    Employee-centric atmosphere
    Respect regardless of level of employment

Cons

Time constraints due, in part to part-time status--my choice.

Advice to Management

Please continue the great work.

May 15, 2017 – Manager, Talent Acquisition & Development

Thank you for the positive feedback about your manager and employment at NSC! We are thrilled to hear that your experience at NSC has been enjoyable, and happy to be able to offer part-time ... More

2. "Architect"

Current Employee - Architect in Herndon, VA
    Current Employee - Architect in Herndon, VA

I have been working at National Student Clearinghouse full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good pay, excellent employment benefits, bonus, work-life balance, genuine people, great learning opportunities if interested in IT and/or education sector.

Cons

Being small sized company there are not enough ladders to climb but it enhances visibility and company does believes in promoting internal employees as leaders.

May 10, 2017 – Manager, Talent Acquisition & Development

Thank you for choosing the National Student Clearinghouse as your employer! At our organization, every employee has the opportunity to make a difference, and we value your contributions!

3. "StudentTracker Spotlight"

Current Employee - StudentTracker Coordinator in Herndon, VA
    Current Employee - StudentTracker Coordinator in Herndon, VA

I have been working at National Student Clearinghouse full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I have been with the company for 3 years now and have had a couple of bosses. Through all the moves I have respected my peers and my superiors. Recently StudentTracker has had some light shed upon it and I feel it is only fair to share another side of the story. I came to this department at a time when there was a lot of turnover. The staff welcomed me with open arms and assisted in helping with any questions I had. It's been over a year now and through all the aches and pains, the articles, and the new Executives we have persevered and came together as a stronger team. We had launched a new platform to ST for colleges and lent out staff to other departments. Through it all we continue to push forward, work harder, and come closer together! I am so proud of the work and my peers in that department as well as our Manager. We hold each up. I wouldn't want to work for any other company! The path we are on is paved with great intentions.

Cons

My advice is to trust management and do not be afraid to speak to them. We need more recognition and transparency.

Advice to Management

Recognize the successes and do not always wait. Sometimes waiting is the perception of not appreciating staff.

Feb 13, 2017 – Manager, Talent Acquisition & Development

Thank you for your feedback about the Clearinghouse. We value feedback from our employees and are happy to hear that you feel a strong sense of teamwork in the Student Tracker Operations area. We ... More

"Great sense of community, boring work"

Former Employee - Client Support Representative in Herndon, VA
    Former Employee - Client Support Representative in Herndon, VA

I worked at National Student Clearinghouse full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

- The location (Herndon, VA) is right by affordable apartments and traffic isn't too bad for NOVA
    - They internally promote so there's lots of opportunity for growth even without a degree
    - In customer service there's plenty of opportunity for overtime
    - There's a good amount of community, most people are very friendly

Cons

- The work (Client Support Rep) was deadly boring and consisted of a lot of data entry/email response
    - Many people work an early shift (7-4) and personally I hate mornings
    - No cell service in the building
    - Most customers hate dealing with NSC and frequently colleges use NSC as their whipping boy for transcript issues. Very frustrating getting screamed at for problems you have no power to fix.

Advice to Management

Allow employees more flexibility in responding for customers/explaining why their transcripts may be late! Relaxing rules for hand signatures would remove so many problems.

Dec 7, 2016 – Manager, Talent Acquisition & Development

Thank you for taking the time to provide this valuable feedback about your experience with the organization. NSC is a learning organization and accepts all feedback as an opportunity to learn from ... More

"Good place to work"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Fairfax, VA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Fairfax, VA

I worked at National Student Clearinghouse full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Fantastic benefits, casual work environment. You have the option of making your work a career or keeping it just as a job.

Cons

Relatively lower pay than most for-profit companies in the DC area. Favoritism, nepotism, limited career path. The corporate culture has an identity crisis and tries various methods to manage communication within teams and across teams. Rather than just keeping it real.

Advice to Management

Be open and honest, over communicate and allow your staff to inform and guide you on process improvements.

Nov 4, 2016 – Manager, Talent Acquisition & Development

Thank you for taking the time to leave a review, and for choosing the Clearinghouse as your employer! We are thrilled to be able to offer above market benefits and competitive salaries compared to ... More

7. "Great benefits and fun culture"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Herndon, VA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Herndon, VA

I have been working at National Student Clearinghouse full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Robust benefits, fun events, meaningful work tied to a strong mission, and business casual work attire.

Cons

Many different initiatives at once stretches employees thin.

Advice to Management

Spend some time focusing on technical debt, and give IT staff a chance to work on one project a month of their choice.

Oct 11, 2016 – Manager, Talent Acquisition & Development

Thank you for your suggestions and feedback! We will share your idea with our IT leaders.

"High Turnover/ Little Diversity"

Former Employee - School/EFI Operations in Herndon, VA
    Former Employee - School/EFI Operations in Herndon, VA

I worked at National Student Clearinghouse full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Good cause. Good first job out of college.

Cons

Hiring process and promotions strictly based on favoritism. Very clickish including management. ..team leads have zero moral compass and will do whatever managers adk, no questions asked. If you ask questions you will be humiliated by hearing. Others snicker or pin you against other Co-workers. Every week we receive an email of yet another person leaving the company.

Advice to Management

Retain your workforce. Don't make it a personal agenda of who stays and who gets let go.

Aug 17, 2016 – Manager, Talent Acquisition & Development

Thank you for your feedback and best of luck in your future job endeavors. In the last few months, the Clearinghouse received an award in recognition of the program, policies and culture we have in ... More

"Technical Project Manager"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Herndon, VA

Pros

Close to home, free food on occasion.

Cons

The environment is very non-friendly. Lack of help and little to no information sharing. Management is out of touch and contractors are not treated well. Management is unethical. Long hours. Other team members treated contractors poorly.

Sep 8, 2015 – Manager, Talent Acquisition & Development

The Clearinghouse continuously strives to be a great place to work, and constructive feedback with grounding helps us to improve. Our culture is one of transparency, camaraderie, high performance ... More

"Good place to work."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Springfield, VA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Springfield, VA

I have been working at National Student Clearinghouse full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Good place to work. Great benefits.

Cons

Low pay unless you are in management.

Advice to Management

Need to reassess salary structure for hourly employees.

"Don't walk away, run!"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Herndon, VA

I worked at National Student Clearinghouse full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

- 401k match
    - Hard working employee workforce
    - Great social media team (see all of the positive reviews after 2014? After being primarily all negative prior?) - Read between the lines.
    - Casual dress code
    - Modern facility

Cons

-Lack of training
    -Lack of transparency and honesty.
    -Anonymous surveys are sent out yearly - but the results are tracked in detail.
    -Some executives give the appearance that they have "checked out" mentally and just going through the motions until retirement.
    -Lack of trust of executive leadership from the workforce and even within senior leadership itself.
    -Identity crisis - Every management style seems to be shoved into one - 360 reviews, nine box, skip level meetings - you name a management style and somehow they've found a way to incorporate it while pretending it's a secret from the workforce, less you know how you're actually being measured against performance indicators.
    -Short sided pay raise limitation, resulting in non-competitive salaries for internal promotions.
    -New management style (that ironically has similar logo characteristics as many cult logos)
    -Board of Directors is unable to see beyond the watermelon reports to the saying "everything is great" when in reality, it's much more serious.

Advice to Management

To the Board of Directors - Get more involved. See beyond the watermelon reports provided. Do your own direct survey of the workforce (and make it actually anonymous in reality instead of just saying it is). It may be time for some change of management for those who are just riding along for the paycheck until retirement.

To the CEO - Hold some meetings with your non-direct report executives and directors - WITHOUT the COO present. You may be surprised of some of the feedback you receive when it's not filtered by those who want to control everything.

Jul 8, 2015 – Manager, Talent Acquisition & Development

Although we cannot speculate on what led to this former employee’s discontent at the end of their employment, please note that they did stay here for five years. There are several items in this post ... More