National Student Clearinghouse Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

3.3
Ricardo D. Torres

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • It is such a wonderful work environment with a strong emphasis on work/life balance (in 9 reviews)

• NSC has a great benefits package, solid management and room to grow a career (in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • The work life balance that is bragged about isn (in 4 reviews)

• Favoritism, nepotism, limited career path (in 3 reviews)

1. "NSC--An Overview"

Current Employee - Administrative Assistant in Herndon, VA

I have been working at National Student Clearinghouse part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

NSC is sincerely dedicated to clients' needs while continuing to be employee-centric by offering financial, educational, and professional growth benefits. NSC celebrates and honors our diversities in a variety of creative ways. There is a healthy culture of mutual respect and esprit de corps. It is a group of intelligent and pleasant professionals. Warm humor is shared with hard work.

Cons

The downside, at present, has a light at the end of the tunnel when the office physical restructuring is completed.

Advice to Management

Continue to be strong advocates and good listeners.

2. "Growing is good"

I have been working at National Student Clearinghouse full-time

Pros

Benefits (health, education, 401K), meaningful mission and the company is actually focused on it, management at all levels are focused on both success of the company and employees.

Cons

There is a lot of change, but that's not necessarily a bad thing as long as you address the people who don't want to learn new ways to do things. Right now, some really good people are making up for the shortcomings of others.

Advice to Management

Seeing some of the recent comments, I felt the need to share a different perspective. If you do your job and focus on supporting the organization’s mission, you will be successful. Opportunity for personal and professional growth is plentiful if you want it and will work for it.

Sep 20, 2017 – Manager, Talent Acquisition & Development

Thank you for sharing your feedback about the Clearinghouse. We are pleased to learn that you feel challenged and motivated by the transformation that is happening across the organization. We... More

"A culture of narcissism, humiliation, and intimidation."

I have been working at National Student Clearinghouse full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Some of the best benefits an employee could ask for. This is the saving grace for the company as it's likely the only reason some long time employees are staying put. HR recently opened up a new training avenue that has limitless possibilities if you can ever afford the time. Mid level management and below have a caring grasp on the mission at hand.

Cons

Unfortunately the Pros are so outweighed by the Cons it's hard to ever leave the building with your head ever held high. Working in the newly reformed Education Services Department is simply draining. If you got bullied in high school you may be able to endure this place on a daily basis. Verbal abuse in meetings is common place. Ed Services leadership walks around with a positive smile as if everything is marvelous but when the door closes you are treated with verbal and emotional cruelty that you wouldn't wish on your worst enemy. Somehow HR encourages the use of an email signature touting NSC as a culture of work life balance but for some groups 60 hours/week is "not enough". Evening, weekend, and middle of the night aggressive messages are the norm.

Advice to Management

Stand up for what is right and stop letting the workplace turn into a place of authoritarianism. Not all the good people have left.

Sep 14, 2017 – Manager, Talent Acquisition & Development

Thank you for sharing your feedback. We are pleased to offer the new training mechanism to staff that is available 24/7 for both professional and personal development. Employees are encouraged to own... More

"Asks For Too Much"

Current Employee - Coordinator
    Current Employee - Coordinator

I have been working at National Student Clearinghouse full-time

Pros

There are many friendly and truly good people working here. Benefits are excellent including 401k match and help with tuition. Company cares about education and individual development. Not a strict dress code, so you can wear jeans and comfortable clothing.

Cons

The work life balance that is bragged about isn’t accruate across the company. The education services division often has overtime and sometimes mandatory. There is early closing holidays but only high level management and hourly staff get to leave early. I always see managers staying late. You earn vacation and personal days but it is hard to take time off so you just end up selling the hours. For the last two years, we are doing too many projects and it is usually tense.

Advice to Management

Don’t brag about work life balance if it isn’t offered to everyone. Undertake less projects at one time so that people work reasonable hours. It is great to make progress and take on challenging new projects but, remember that too much leads to people giving up vacations and time with their family.

Sep 13, 2017 – Manager, Talent Acquisition & Development

Thank you for you sharing your feedback with the Clearinghouse. As the education landscape of the nation changes, we have been called upon to serve and respond in ways never before and in doing so... More

"Growing is Good...If you are in the club."

Pros

The company basically has a monopoly on the market. The non-profit status is extremely beneficial.

Cons

The old boys club 2.0. Revised, but the same tactics. Employees that are "loyal" have a horse in the race.

Advice to Management

Diversity training should be required just like sexual harassment is.

"Senior Manager"

Current Employee - Senior Manager in Herndon, VA
    Current Employee - Senior Manager in Herndon, VA

I have been working at National Student Clearinghouse full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Close knit culture and mutual respect for employees

Cons

Lack of execution and too much of organizational hierarchy management kills innovation and impact of employees

Aug 23, 2017 – Manager, Talent Acquisition & Development

Thank you for your feedback. The Clearinghouse prides itself in having a culture that fosters trust and mutual respect. The past year has been a year of transformation across the entire NSC... More

"What started out as a great entry level career move has turned into the most turbulent experience yet."

Pros

I honestly can't thinking of anything at the moment but there's a 20 word minimum so here we are, typing.

Cons

Upper management looks at you like a pawn in chess- disposable. What started out as a great entry level career move has turned into the most turbulent experience yet. At first, it seemed as though this company offered many opportunities for professional development. However in a span of a TWO years, I've had 3+ managers, no manager at one point, and nearly three different positions. It's exhausting.

I understand there are organizational changes being made and that it's for the best of our clients, but where do we draw the line? At what point does upper management decide your position is no longer needed and that you are disposable? Sad to say- I don't feel valued at the Clearinghouse and will definitely be looking elsewhere.

Advice to Management

Nothing. They panic about these reviews but as noted by past reviews- this cycle of relocating and laying off employees hasn't changed in years. Perhaps they should lay off the laying off.

Sep 11, 2017 – Manager, Talent Acquisition & Development

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience and feedback. Next year is the Clearinghouse’s 25th anniversary, and we are currently in the midst of an organizational transformation. New... More

"Great people and great mission"

I have been working at National Student Clearinghouse full-time

Pros

My colleagues are inspiring and hardworking and the vast majority are bought into the mission of the Clearinghouse.

Cons

There is a resource strain at the moment, mostly due to the challenging goals the organization has set for itself. This has lead to long work hours for some.

May 11, 2017 – Manager, Talent Acquisition & Development

NSC is glad to have so many dedicated employees working for our organization who support our mission. Goals that challenge our staff will help develop their careers and propel the organization... More

"Architect"

Current Employee - Architect in Herndon, VA
    Current Employee - Architect in Herndon, VA

Pros

Good pay, excellent employment benefits, bonus, work-life balance, genuine people, great learning opportunities if interested in IT and/or education sector.

Cons

Being small sized company there are not enough ladders to climb but it enhances visibility and company does believes in promoting internal employees as leaders.

May 10, 2017 – Manager, Talent Acquisition & Development

Thank you for choosing the National Student Clearinghouse as your employer! At our organization, every employee has the opportunity to make a difference, and we value your contributions!

10. "Administrative Assistant"

Current Employee - Administrative Assistant in Herndon, VA

Pros

Best manager in the world
    People like to work here and with each other--
    Positive attitudes
    Employee-centric atmosphere
    Respect regardless of level of employment

Cons

Time constraints due, in part to part-time status--my choice.

Advice to Management

Please continue the great work.

May 15, 2017 – Manager, Talent Acquisition & Development

Thank you for the positive feedback about your manager and employment at NSC! We are thrilled to hear that your experience at NSC has been enjoyable, and happy to be able to offer part-time... More