National Student Clearinghouse Reviews | Glassdoor

Ricardo D. Torres

1. "StudentTracker Spotlight"

Current Employee - StudentTracker Coordinator in Herndon, VA
    Current Employee - StudentTracker Coordinator in Herndon, VA

I have been working at National Student Clearinghouse full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I have been with the company for 3 years now and have had a couple of bosses. Through all the moves I have respected my peers and my superiors. Recently StudentTracker has had some light shed upon it and I feel it is only fair to share another side of the story. I came to this department at a time when there was a lot of turnover. The staff welcomed me with open arms and assisted in helping with any questions I had. It's been over a year now and through all the aches and pains, the articles, and the new Executives we have persevered and came together as a stronger team. We had launched a new platform to ST for colleges and lent out staff to other departments. Through it all we continue to push forward, work harder, and come closer together! I am so proud of the work and my peers in that department as well as our Manager. We hold each up. I wouldn't want to work for any other company! The path we are on is paved with great intentions.

Cons

My advice is to trust management and do not be afraid to speak to them. We need more recognition and transparency.

Advice to Management

Recognize the successes and do not always wait. Sometimes waiting is the perception of not appreciating staff.

Feb 13, 2017 – Manager, Talent Acquisition & Development

Thank you for your feedback about the Clearinghouse. We value feedback from our employees and are happy to hear that you feel a strong sense of teamwork in the Student Tracker Operations area. We ... More

2. "Great company with great benefits"

I worked at National Student Clearinghouse full-time

Pros

fun staff and environment with great benefits and 401k

Cons

repetitive work at entry level

Jan 25, 2017 – Manager, Talent Acquisition & Development

Thank you for your feedback! NSC is glad to hear that you thought our culture and environment were fun and that you appreciated our benefit offerings! We strive to create an inviting culture, and our ... More

"Great sense of community, boring work"

Former Employee - Client Support Representative in Herndon, VA
    Former Employee - Client Support Representative in Herndon, VA

I worked at National Student Clearinghouse full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

- The location (Herndon, VA) is right by affordable apartments and traffic isn't too bad for NOVA
    - They internally promote so there's lots of opportunity for growth even without a degree
    - In customer service there's plenty of opportunity for overtime
    - There's a good amount of community, most people are very friendly

Cons

- The work (Client Support Rep) was deadly boring and consisted of a lot of data entry/email response
    - Many people work an early shift (7-4) and personally I hate mornings
    - No cell service in the building
    - Most customers hate dealing with NSC and frequently colleges use NSC as their whipping boy for transcript issues. Very frustrating getting screamed at for problems you have no power to fix.

Advice to Management

Allow employees more flexibility in responding for customers/explaining why their transcripts may be late! Relaxing rules for hand signatures would remove so many problems.

Dec 7, 2016 – Manager, Talent Acquisition & Development

Thank you for taking the time to provide this valuable feedback about your experience with the organization. NSC is a learning organization and accepts all feedback as an opportunity to learn from ... More

5. "Awsome Place to work!"

Pros

Great mission! Feels like a family. Very collaborative. Very fast paced and dynamic. Lots of new business opportunities. Able to make a significant contribution and impact to the company.

Cons

With so many business opportunities, setting priorities is a challenge.

Dec 2, 2016 – Manager, Talent Acquisition & Development

Thank you for choosing the National Student Clearinghouse as your employer, and your feedback! We look forward to your future contributions!

"Good place to work"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Fairfax, VA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Fairfax, VA

I worked at National Student Clearinghouse full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Fantastic benefits, casual work environment. You have the option of making your work a career or keeping it just as a job.

Cons

Relatively lower pay than most for-profit companies in the DC area. Favoritism, nepotism, limited career path. The corporate culture has an identity crisis and tries various methods to manage communication within teams and across teams. Rather than just keeping it real.

Advice to Management

Be open and honest, over communicate and allow your staff to inform and guide you on process improvements.

Nov 4, 2016 – Manager, Talent Acquisition & Development

Thank you for taking the time to leave a review, and for choosing the Clearinghouse as your employer! We are thrilled to be able to offer above market benefits and competitive salaries compared to ... More

7. "Great benefits and fun culture"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Herndon, VA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Herndon, VA

I have been working at National Student Clearinghouse full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Robust benefits, fun events, meaningful work tied to a strong mission, and business casual work attire.

Cons

Many different initiatives at once stretches employees thin.

Advice to Management

Spend some time focusing on technical debt, and give IT staff a chance to work on one project a month of their choice.

Oct 11, 2016 – Manager, Talent Acquisition & Development

Thank you for your suggestions and feedback! We will share your idea with our IT leaders.

"Representative"

I worked at National Student Clearinghouse full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Mostly great people to work with, relaxed work environment, diverse culture. The Pres. is awesome and firmly believes in the good of the people and the work.

Cons

Is very political. Everyone is afraid to speak up when changes occur. There is a great deal of working hard instead of working smart. Little room for error. Can also be very "clique" oriented. While they have a great stance on providing a team atmosphere it may not always feel like it if you aren't incredibly immersed in their beliefs. A lot of "My way is the right way," going on here.

Sep 26, 2016 – Manager, Talent Acquisition & Development

The Clearinghouse strives to create an environment that enables high levels of performance, delivery of excellence and innovation. Integrity and trust are at the foundation of the work that we do in ... More

"Representative"

Pros

Decent work place. Great office and decor. Excellent team. Decent benefits. Job keeps me challenged and busy. Remote access is a huge plus.

Cons

Work volume is high. Causes stress. Slightly political sometimes. Need to stay focused and grounded. Job is demanding with no scope for errors or missteps.

Advice to Management

Fairness in judgement, giving credit where due, keeping team together are skills to be nurtured. Standing up for team in difficult times can be done.

"High Turnover/ Little Diversity"

Former Employee - School/EFI Operations in Herndon, VA
    Former Employee - School/EFI Operations in Herndon, VA

I worked at National Student Clearinghouse full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Good cause. Good first job out of college.

Cons

Hiring process and promotions strictly based on favoritism. Very clickish including management. ..team leads have zero moral compass and will do whatever managers adk, no questions asked. If you ask questions you will be humiliated by hearing. Others snicker or pin you against other Co-workers. Every week we receive an email of yet another person leaving the company.

Advice to Management

Retain your workforce. Don't make it a personal agenda of who stays and who gets let go.

Aug 17, 2016 – Manager, Talent Acquisition & Development

Thank you for your feedback and best of luck in your future job endeavors. In the last few months, the Clearinghouse received an award in recognition of the program, policies and culture we have in ... More

"Technical Project Manager"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Herndon, VA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Herndon, VA

Pros

Close to home, free food on occasion.

Cons

The environment is very non-friendly. Lack of help and little to no information sharing. Management is out of touch and contractors are not treated well. Management is unethical. Long hours. Other team members treated contractors poorly.

Sep 8, 2015 – Manager, Talent Acquisition & Development

The Clearinghouse continuously strives to be a great place to work, and constructive feedback with grounding helps us to improve. Our culture is one of transparency, camaraderie, high performance ... More