National Student Clearinghouse Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

2.7
Ricardo D. Torres

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Hopefully, this will help resolve high turnover, trust issues in executive team, and work life balance (in 11 reviews)

• Bright space, hopefully better work from home, good benefits (in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • The work life balance that is bragged about isn (in 5 reviews)

• Employees have little to no faith in upper management and/or HR (in 3 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Fun, Safe Place to Work"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Herndon, VA

I have been working at National Student Clearinghouse full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

-AMAZING benefit package (2-1 401k match, costco and AAA reimbursement, insurance, and more)
    -nice, kind employees
    -a ton of employee events
    -employee run committees
    -clear, straightforward career path
    -CEO is very enthusiastic about the company and his employees

Cons

-commute
    -sometimes there can be confusion with upper management but communication is key

Advice to Management

-be more willing to speak about some of the problems that are stated on this page
    -be open to employees about what is going on

Dec 5, 2017 – Manager, Talent Acquisition & Development

Thank you for sharing your feedback with the Clearinghouse. We are pleased to hear that you recognize the strong benefits package offering that we have at NSC. We agree that we have great employees... More

"Challenging and Exhausting in need of Resources"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Herndon, VA

I have been working at National Student Clearinghouse full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Management cares a great deal, Dir of HR is knowledgeable and hard working, CEO is visionary, benefits competitive, great office space, many employees have a good sense of ownership, support our mission and want to be here for the right reasons. Company provides some training resources and has recently invested in an outside consultant to help define the organizational vision and improve cross functional team collaboration and relationships (aka inclusion). Also recently reconfigured to address longstanding negative leadership practices. All in all, on the right track for success.

Cons

Immature workforce that has ingrained sense of entitlement and lack of accountability. Many staff members spend the day gossiping, assume management has evil intentions and spread noxious rumors in and outside of the organization in an attempt to undermine the good will and work of others. Managers spend too much time addressing problem children blaming others for their own shortcomings, which takes away from time they could be dedicating to other staff with more positive intent. Promotions are expected/demanded by some rather than earned and if you work hard you can expect to be called a teacher’s pet or worse. Discipline seems like a last resort, and leadership is scared by bad reviews, anonymous SpeakUps, etc..

Advice to Management

If you want to get to the next level, start cracking down on the employees that are causing the drama and complaining because they are entitled and mean. Don’t let you managers be bullied by the staff. Keep moving in the right direction and the problems will start to work themselves out.

Jan 16, 2018 – Managing Director, Corporate Services

Thank you for your feedback and perspective, we really value hearing from our employees. The points you bring up are precisely the kinds of challenges that virtually any management team faces: how... More

"Wow"

Current Employee - Senior Coordinator in Herndon, VA
    Current Employee - Senior Coordinator in Herndon, VA

I have been working at National Student Clearinghouse full-time

Pros

401k match can’t be beat, health insurance is good, pay for school, and offer lots of professional training if you have the time. Direct management can be trusted. Company recently fixed terrible problem that was WAY Overdue. Hopefully, this will help resolve high turnover, trust issues in executive team, and work life balance. It looks like they finally understand you can’t just keep hitting people harder to get them to do more and turn a blind eye to management and execs with less than kosher leadership practices. Great decision and ready for change.

Cons

Took way too long to arrive at a decision that protects normal human decency. Hopefully, this was a fluke and execs now see people as the most important resource worth protecting. CEO awesome and needs to keep and eye on some of his team that side with “getting things done at any cost” over being a best place to work that puts high stock in its employees and achieves its mission because of this.

Advice to Management

Put people first and follow the golden rule. You haven’t been good about this, but maybe that’s about to change.

Jan 16, 2018 – Managing Director, Corporate Services

Thank you for this feedback. Great leadership is about striking the right balance between achieving strong performance results and maintaining a fulfilling and inspiring work environment. As our... More

"Hope on the horizon"

Current Employee - Education Services in Herndon, VA
    Current Employee - Education Services in Herndon, VA

I have been working at National Student Clearinghouse full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Benefits, coworkers, regular company sponsored events, close to dining, Reston Town Center and Metro. Managers and even some directors and above care about you a lot more than anywhere else I’ve worked. The mission is clear and staff and leadership work to achieve it equally. Company has made a recent big change in the right direction that will hopefully make for a more caring and kind place to be with better work life balance. This has been a long time coming if the executive team delivers on its promise for cultural change there is hope for the Clearinghouse yet.

Cons

Leadership/execs/directors team is split and have varying views on the appropriate way to treat people. it is sad that there would ever be a question on whether
    or not it’s appropriate to allow that behavior to persist, exist, or renter the company.

Advice to Management

It is time to chart a new course for the company and its culture. You have an opportunity to change things for the better now that the cancer has been removed. Take advantage of every day to win back the trust of your staff.

Jan 16, 2018 – Managing Director, Corporate Services

Thank you for taking the time to post your thoughts about our company. We strive in all that we do to provide strong leadership to the company and to focus our efforts on creating a culture where... More

"Making a comeback!"

Current Employee - Executive Director Services in Herndon, VA
    Current Employee - Executive Director Services in Herndon, VA

Pros

Bright space, hopefully better work from home, good benefits. They finally made a huge change that needed to happen! We can now breathe easier and smile again! Thank you to the Executives who were not afraid and actually listened to staff.

Cons

The other Executives who didn’t fight for staff should be ashamed and not be Executives. You burned a lot of bridges with staff and now the trust in you is gone! I guess saving your own butt was more important than integrity and Erik ethic.

Advice to Management

Now that a change has happened hopefully this will continue to push the morals and value our CEO talks about. There is a lot of damage done that the Executives will have to undo, I have faith in them that they will do what is right!

Jan 16, 2018 – Managing Director, Corporate Services

We appreciate your thoughts and input. The constant aim of the leadership at the Clearinghouse is to build a high performing organization with a focus on delivering on our education mission in a... More

"You won't be inspired"

Pros

A Bowling league paid for by the company that you can join when it comes around annually. Free coffee and vending machines.

Cons

Senior leaders seem to be the dark cloud of this company. One of the Vice Presidents told us if we weren't happy to go find happiness somewhere else. One of the directors thrives off perception and is constantly looking to ostracize someone and label them degenerative employees. The same director has constantly lectured us about gossips, triangulation, innuendo, and rumors, yet will engage in it and start it. A director has also invited subordinates and employees directly in their department, to their house parties and weekend get togethers, yet executives will wonder why staff complains of favoritism when it's undeniably evident. The CEO seems like a nice person but at the end of the day they are responsible for everything that transpires. The captain of the ship should be more assertive about addressing these frequent issues and steering us in the right direction.

Advice to Management

Staff members should be inspired by their company leaders and think highly of them, not be discouraged and demotivated. We should be looking up to our managers, directors, and executives and admire them. Bring back office professionalism and stop the fraternizing to end all gossip. This is just my opinion and perception.

Jan 17, 2018 – Managing Director, Corporate Services

Strong leadership is about building a culture that focuses on the balance between accountability, authenticity and caring. The Clearinghouse leadership team remains committed to working to achieve... More

"Look around..."

I have been working at National Student Clearinghouse full-time

Pros

The benefits are amazing, no other company has a 401k like this company, the health benefits are terrific and start on day one. Every year we get a thousand dollars dumped into our 401k, just because...The management really does want to create a healthy and positive work environment. There are no annual reviews, just periodic meeting with your manager to discuss goals and how you are doing against them. What other employer does that?

Cons

They go overboard on trying to engage employees, celebrations, anniversaries. They should do a better job at getting rid of toxic employees, those folks poison the environment for everyone.

Advice to Management

Work life balance could use a hard look.

Dec 7, 2017 – Managing Director, Corporate Services

Thank you for sharing your feedback with the Clearinghouse. We agree that our benefits offerings are structured to demonstrate our care for our staff. NSC recognizes that we have a diverse staff... More

"Disappointed"

I have been working at National Student Clearinghouse full-time

Pros

Good referral bonus if you want to refer family or friends. You're allowed to work with your family if you ever decide you want to.

Cons

Unfortunately the pro can also be a con. Because relatives are allowed to be employed this causes a lot of gossip. Especially when your family member is in a higher position. Confidential information is always being leaked because family members share it with each other and the recipient spreads it to everyone. This is exactly how gossip and rumors start.

Advice to Management

In my opinion HR needs to do a better job of enforcing leadership abuse. Everyone else realizes that family and work do not mix. Enough sensitive information about employees has been released and enough is enough. An employee's personal and professional business should be and always remain confidential.

Jan 16, 2018 – Managing Director, Corporate Services

Thanks for sharing your perspectives. We appreciate your concerns and strive to hold all employees to the highest ethical standards, regardless of their relationships to other employees. The best... More

"Please Do Not Remove My Review."

Pros

Benefits and the walking trails near by.

Cons

-Inability to accept constructive criticism (Management and Execs)
    -Preferential treatment
    of some and not others.
    -Manipulative
    -Unfair promotions/recognitions
    -Fear is the promenant factor in keeping people in line
    -Managers will undermine your work
    -Employee contributions is not recognize d.

Advice to Management

A Paradigm shift is desperately needed.
    Management need professional training.

Jan 10, 2018 – Manager, Talent Acquisition & Development

Thank you for sharing feedback with the Clearinghouse. As our organization continues to evolve, leadership will continue to be focused on the development of our managers and staff. We are making... More

"pretending"

I have been working at National Student Clearinghouse full-time

Pros

free parking in a garage

Cons

A small non-profit company with 200+ employees pretends it's Capital One. The upper management pretends they listen. The sales team pretends they know the products. The operational team pretends it runs the entire company. The IT and finance pretend they are busy and productive. HR pretends they exist. Executives pretend they are brothers and sisters. Work here if you are about to retire. Don't expect career development or growth.

Advice to Management

blaming not others

Dec 20, 2017 – Managing Director, Corporate Services

The Company is focused on achieving it's mission and moving forward while upholding our stated values. All employees should evaluate if their personal values align to those of the organization.