National Student Clearinghouse Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated March 10, 2017

2.0
Ricardo D. Torres

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • It is such a wonderful work environment with a strong emphasis on work/life balance (in 9 reviews)

• NSC has a great benefits package, solid management and room to grow a career (in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • Favoritism, nepotism, limited career path (in 3 reviews)

• We have a new management team across many departments (in 3 reviews)

"Frightening what is going on here."

I have been working at National Student Clearinghouse full-time

Pros

Location, parking, benefits, teamwork, diversity.

Cons

I don't know what the goal is, but in the last year they have let go (or forced to leave) every manager who cared about the people. It started with our HR manager, and has not stopped. They are replacing caring and effective managers with cold and inexperienced people - some of them friends of the CEO. I am looking as are many others. It is shocking how much the culture has changed for the worse in a short time.

Advice to Management

Board of Directors wake up and talk to some people other than the CEO.

National Student Clearinghouse Response

Mar 13, 2017 – Manager, Talent Acquisition & Development

Thank you for your feedback. The Clearinghouse encourages all its employees when we have an opening to see if they have acquaintances/referrals that can fill any job that has been posted. We look... More

"Was great now average"

I have been working at National Student Clearinghouse full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Company has good health insurance, HSA, and dental benefits for you and your family. Personal and sick time off to use at your leisure. Great retirement savings account in vacation buyback plans. Most colleagues are great to be around. The company dinner and picnics are not the best but ok.

Cons

Many changes have occurred within the last five years. I have seen a lot of employees come and go. A few positions have been eliminated due to the constant changes. It's a little worrisome knowing my Jon could be gone one day to the next due to company cuts. We have a new management team across many departments.there is a trend of favoritism that seems to be encouraged by nepotism. There also is an "inner" group comprised of employees in leadership positions as well as regular workers. The company does a lot of promoting from within which doesn't allow new outside ideas to infiltrate and promote efficiency. When jobs post everyone seems to know who the position was created for before the official announcement is made. The selected candidate is usually someone that's personally affiliated with the hiring manager. This doesn't allow for equal career development opportunities for those outside the clique. Pessimistic chatter amongst coworkers has increased which I believe is due to leaders constantly engaging and provoking speculation between their employees. Overall, not the bad company, but not the best. We could do a lot better and there's plenty of room for improvement.

Advice to Management

It's not good practice to allow company leaders to fraternize with their subordinates. This creates many issues that were otherwise never arise. It yields a shadow of intimidation that impacts morale.

National Student Clearinghouse Response

Mar 14, 2017 – Manager, Talent Acquisition & Development

Thank you for providing feedback as it is what makes our organization a better place. During this current fiscal year, several divisions have undergone and are still involved in the transformation of... More

"Employees were not treated with respect by upper management."

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative I in Herndon, VA

I worked at National Student Clearinghouse full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

I enjoyed assisting schools with issues on reporting status & students with problems on the deferment process of their loans.

Cons

The Human Resource department worked mainly to assist upper management and not the employees. There were limited employment opportunities for advancement within the company.

Advice to Management

Management should be more receptive to their employees since they can provide suggestions on how to solve particular issues, and work together as a team in order to make the company grow.

"Terrible management"

Former Employee - Java Developer in Herndon, VA
    Former Employee - Java Developer in Herndon, VA

I worked at National Student Clearinghouse full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Good benefits and nice facilities with a gym
    Some of the people there were nice?
    This 20 word minimum is difficult for the "Pros" section...

Cons

Working as a software developer, the management when I was there (2009) was terrible. They hired me as a Java developer, but I was stuck doing development on their legacy systems. The management didn't really care that I wasn't doing the type of work I wanted to do, and would micromanage everything that I did. I left the company within 6 months.

"Laid back environment, but unnecessarily strict."

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative I in Herndon, VA

I worked at National Student Clearinghouse full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

casual dress, nice facility, many of the coworkers were friendly and nice, plenty of parking, good benefits

Cons

only had two 5 minute breaks + lunch, was supposed to sit and type in numbers the rest of the day, very little feedback, got in trouble for walking around more than 3x per day

Advice to Management

if the workers are doing their job, let them get up from their desks once and a while

"Management is completely disorganized and inept"

Former Employee - Manager in Herndon, VA
    Former Employee - Manager in Herndon, VA

I worked at National Student Clearinghouse full-time (More than a year)

Pros

decent salary and benefits
    not much else

Cons

unrealistic expectations and work load
    poor planning
    poor leadership
    company direction changes with the wind

"Management needs a wake up call"

Current Employee - An Employee Who Interacted With Senior Management Daily in Herndon, VA

I have been working at National Student Clearinghouse full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- Friendly employees (non-management)
    - Small company
    - Great product(s) and cause

Cons

- Poor senior level management
    - Little to no development
    - Gossip
    - Power hungry COO who will stop at nothing to get what she wants, despite the impact on others
    - No HR department that truly cares

Advice to Management

Grow up. Your company is great in the services it provides to higher education, however senior level managers, particularly the COO, has caused the morale of the company to slide down a never ending hill. You cannot manage employees with an iron fist. You cannot have employees constantly looking over their shoulder in fear of doing something wrong. This company can achieve greatness from an employee standpoint, but as long as certain senior leaders are still there and the CEO turns a blind eye to it, nothing will change. The Board of Directors and CEO should be ashamed of themselves for letting certain leaders in place.

"Not a workplace I would recommend to my friends"

Current Employee - Analyst in Herndon, VA
    Current Employee - Analyst in Herndon, VA

Pros

Match 10% 401K(100% vested if you stay 4 years)
    Education reimburse program
    Summer flex time

Cons

Quite a few incompetent mid-level managers, specially in IT
    Lots of office politics
    I've seen several occasions where people were treated terribly by their managers
    Not very good work life balance
    No real career path

Advice to Management

Your employees are your most valuable asset. Treat them fairly and with respect.

"It has pluses and minuses"

Pros

Benefits
    Employees are so friendly
    Lower level managers work very hard
    IT Department is staffed with outstanding professionals

Cons

Senior managers are not trained to do their jobs
    Some managers don't pretend to care about the employees or the company
    CEO needs to focus on doing his job and not everyone elses

Advice to Management

They won't take it

"Good Company, Bad Management"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Herndon, VA

Pros

Valuable service provider to colleges and universities
    Great benefits like 200% matching on 401K
    Sometimes get surprise time like Friday afternoon before holiday weekend

Cons

Executives playing politics; too many snide comments and criticisms
    CEO refuses to deal with infighting among direct reports
    Lots of finger pointing when problems occur

Advice to Management

Stop sniping at each other. Employees see it and spend a lot of time talking about it.