National Student Clearinghouse Reviews | Glassdoor

Ricardo D. Torres

1. "StudentTracker Spotlight"

Current Employee - StudentTracker Coordinator in Herndon, VA
    Current Employee - StudentTracker Coordinator in Herndon, VA

I have been working at National Student Clearinghouse full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I have been with the company for 3 years now and have had a couple of bosses. Through all the moves I have respected my peers and my superiors. Recently StudentTracker has had some light shed upon it and I feel it is only fair to share another side of the story. I came to this department at a time when there was a lot of turnover. The staff welcomed me with open arms and assisted in helping with any questions I had. It's been over a year now and through all the aches and pains, the articles, and the new Executives we have persevered and came together as a stronger team. We had launched a new platform to ST for colleges and lent out staff to other departments. Through it all we continue to push forward, work harder, and come closer together! I am so proud of the work and my peers in that department as well as our Manager. We hold each up. I wouldn't want to work for any other company! The path we are on is paved with great intentions.

Cons

My advice is to trust management and do not be afraid to speak to them. We need more recognition and transparency.

Advice to Management

Recognize the successes and do not always wait. Sometimes waiting is the perception of not appreciating staff.

National Student Clearinghouse Response

Feb 13, 2017 – Manager, Talent Acquisition & Development

Thank you for your feedback about the Clearinghouse. We value feedback from our employees and are happy to hear that you feel a strong sense of teamwork in the Student Tracker Operations area. We ... More

2. "Higher Education Development Intern"

Current Intern - Higher Education Development in Herndon, VA
    Current Intern - Higher Education Development in Herndon, VA

I have been working at National Student Clearinghouse as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

Great team of people, genuine, helpful career advice and mentorship, felt like a family, enjoyed going to work everyday

Cons

Many of the employees have worked their way up to the ranks without a college education meaning they are limited in their skill sets and ability to think outside the box and apply solution in a different manner than is typically done

Advice to Management

The internship program was great, my only recommendation would be to provide a fast-track to employment option for those of your best interns. They have already been trained, why not offer them a position upon graduation instead of actively having to look for new candidates who need training during the year?

"Wonderful Company"

I have been working at National Student Clearinghouse full-time

Pros

The CEO makes the satisfaction of his employees a top priority. It is so refreshing to work for a company where they place so much focus on the satisfaction of their staff. They go above and beyond with ice cream socials, company picnics, LL Bean gift cards, recognition programs, etc. to make people feel appreciated. People actually like being at work here! It is such a wonderful work environment with a strong emphasis on work/life balance.

Cons

I honestly can't think of a con.

Advice to Management

I don't have any advice for management. I think they're doing a stellar job.

5. "Great company filled with good people working together to bring meaningful changes to important areas of education"

Current Employee - Manager in Herndon, VA
    Current Employee - Manager in Herndon, VA

I have been working at National Student Clearinghouse full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

All levels staff are committed to fulfilling the organization's mission of service to the education community. Management regularly invests in career development and training opportunities for staff. 401k match is probably best in the area, and other benefits are excellent. Casual, friendly atmosphere.

Cons

Typical growth pains for an evolving organization (e.g., some technical and staffing challenges), but that's also where opportunity is often found.

Advice to Management

Need to continue and improve prioritization against limited resources. It's an ongoing challenge, but definitely not unique to this organization.

"Great culture for a not-for-profit!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Herndon, VA

Pros

The Clearinghouse offers a great working environment and robust benefits. It's a friendly atmosphere that enables employees to network with others by offering many fun employee-focused events like an annual family picnic, annual dinner, and in office events to celebrate cultures and successes. Employees are mission-driven and the services the Clearinghouse offers are meaningful.

Cons

Promotional opportunities don't happen as frequently as they do in large organizations.

Advice to Management

Keep shifting the culture towards innovation and excellence!

7. "Working at NSC was extremely motivating and gratifying due to the executive management's vision and innovation."

Former Employee - Regional Director in Herndon, VA
    Former Employee - Regional Director in Herndon, VA

I worked at National Student Clearinghouse full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The company is highly organized and has an established client base. Training and overall corporate infrastructure exists, making the workplace a great pleasure.

Cons

IT resources are slightly limited. This is more of a hinderance internally as external IT needs and solutions take a higher priority.

Advice to Management

Keep up the great work. The success thus far is a product of the fine executive management skills the "C" levels have.

8. "Great company for entry level position"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Herndon, VA

I have been working at National Student Clearinghouse full-time (More than a year)

Pros

very laid back atmosphere
    good work life balance
    great benefits
    awesome events (frequently)

Cons

turnover rate is high
    hard to move up in the company (but they are actively working on changing that)

Advice to Management

keep progressing, you guys are doing a great job

9. "There is one great surprise after another."

Current Employee - Director in Herndon, VA
    Current Employee - Director in Herndon, VA

Pros

Very generous benefits. Casual dress, lots of promotional opportunities. Wellness program with free gym membership. Nice people.

Cons

Some people who don't carry their weight. Whiners who have been there too long to know what goes on the in the real world.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you are doing. Challenge your people more - they have capacity and want to make a difference.

10. "Great benefits and room to grow!"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Herndon, VA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Herndon, VA

I worked at National Student Clearinghouse full-time (More than a year)

Pros

NSC has a great benefits package, solid management and room to grow a career.

Cons

Working for a not-for-profit means much smaller income for the work completed.

11. "You'll have unique experiences"

I have been working at National Student Clearinghouse full-time

Pros

Excellent benefits, free lunch events multiple times a year, a very nice annual dinner and annual picnic, pleasant surprises such as a season pass to a theme park for employees and their family members. In his 9 years, the current CEO turned a small, local "file-processing shop" into a large, nationally (soon also internationally) recognized organization. He still has the engagement level and the greatest-is-yet-to-come attitude you would hear about successful tech company founders. He is also just a good person.

Cons

There are many good executives than not. Unfortunately, the influence of those good executives is limited to their own departments but just a few, whose actions are not good for the health of the organization at times, have a much bigger impact across different teams. This is because they lead a very large department and/or have been around long enough to know how to push for their agenda quietly. If you want a job, it is a great place to come. If you are hoping for a long career, it is still worth a try but know that it may or may not work for you (though a long career is not guaranteed in any organization anyway).

Advice to Management

Continue investing in your management at every level, especially mid-management and director-level. They are the ones working with the staff closely and can make a positive impact.

National Student Clearinghouse Response

Apr 5, 2017 – Manager, Talent Acquisition & Development

Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback about our company! NSC offers many robust benefits and fun opportunities for networking, like our annual events and who doesn’t love free food! Our ... More