National Student Clearinghouse Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-time Part-time

3.6
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Ricardo D. Torres

Pros
  • It is such a wonderful work environment with a strong emphasis on work/life balance (in 9 reviews)

• NSC has a great benefits package, solid management and room to grow a career (in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • Favoritism, nepotism, limited career path (in 3 reviews)

• We have a new management team across many departments (in 3 reviews)

1. "Great people and great mission"

I have been working at National Student Clearinghouse full-time

Pros

My colleagues are inspiring and hardworking and the vast majority are bought into the mission of the Clearinghouse.

Cons

There is a resource strain at the moment, mostly due to the challenging goals the organization has set for itself. This has lead to long work hours for some.

May 11, 2017 – Manager, Talent Acquisition & Development

NSC is glad to have so many dedicated employees working for our organization who support our mission. Goals that challenge our staff will help develop their careers and propel the organization ... More

2. "Administrative Assistant"

Current Employee - Administrative Assistant in Herndon, VA
    Current Employee - Administrative Assistant in Herndon, VA

I have been working at National Student Clearinghouse part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Best manager in the world
    People like to work here and with each other--
    Positive attitudes
    Employee-centric atmosphere
    Respect regardless of level of employment

Cons

Time constraints due, in part to part-time status--my choice.

Advice to Management

Please continue the great work.

May 15, 2017 – Manager, Talent Acquisition & Development

Thank you for the positive feedback about your manager and employment at NSC! We are thrilled to hear that your experience at NSC has been enjoyable, and happy to be able to offer part-time ... More

3. "Architect"

Current Employee - Architect in Herndon, VA
    Current Employee - Architect in Herndon, VA

I have been working at National Student Clearinghouse full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good pay, excellent employment benefits, bonus, work-life balance, genuine people, great learning opportunities if interested in IT and/or education sector.

Cons

Being small sized company there are not enough ladders to climb but it enhances visibility and company does believes in promoting internal employees as leaders.

May 10, 2017 – Manager, Talent Acquisition & Development

Thank you for choosing the National Student Clearinghouse as your employer! At our organization, every employee has the opportunity to make a difference, and we value your contributions!

"A mixed bag, and at times disingenuous"

I have been working at National Student Clearinghouse full-time

Pros

The Clearinghouse can be a great place to start if you're a young professional without much direction, especially if you've only recently graduated college. The starting salaries are great, the benefits are even better, and if you're really passionate about the company then there's a good spread of opportunities for advancement. There are also plenty of nice people, which is a must for customer service, and most days the work-life balance works out pretty well.

Cons

While the company gives off a friendly vibe, sometimes that vibe doesn't match the reality of the situation. There have been times where resentment between teams and departments has been allowed to boil over for months at a time, when in fact many of these issues could probably have been better addressed by managers directly intervening on a person-to-person level. There have also been instances when a manager's intentions for their employees are unclear, which has resulted in a lack of cross-training and loss of advancement opportunities for said employees. What this has amounted to is a laissez-faire style of career development, which may serve those with a definite idea of their role in the organization, but may prove frustrating to those unsure of what they want or need to do for maximum development.

Advice to Management

Management should acknowledge that many incoming employees are unsure of their career paths, and that current employees should be properly rewarded or motivated for their continued loyalty. Arguably, this could include being more direct with individual employees about whether or not they have any opportunities for advancement, as well as better oversight regarding whether or not actionable steps are being taken by both management and employees to that end.

May 10, 2017 – Manager, Talent Acquisition & Development

The National Student Clearinghouse appreciates your feedback! Our entry-level opportunities are a great starting point for recent college grads, and we take pride in developing the careers of our ... More

"You'll have unique experiences"

I have been working at National Student Clearinghouse full-time

Pros

Excellent benefits, free lunch events multiple times a year, a very nice annual dinner and annual picnic, pleasant surprises such as a season pass to a theme park for employees and their family members. In his 9 years, the current CEO turned a small, local "file-processing shop" into a large, nationally (soon also internationally) recognized organization. He still has the engagement level and the greatest-is-yet-to-come attitude you would hear about successful tech company founders. He is also just a good person.

Cons

There are many good executives than not. Unfortunately, the influence of those good executives is limited to their own departments but just a few, whose actions are not good for the health of the organization at times, have a much bigger impact across different teams. This is because they lead a very large department and/or have been around long enough to know how to push for their agenda quietly. If you want a job, it is a great place to come. If you are hoping for a long career, it is still worth a try but know that it may or may not work for you (though a long career is not guaranteed in any organization anyway).

Advice to Management

Continue investing in your management at every level, especially mid-management and director-level. They are the ones working with the staff closely and can make a positive impact.

Apr 5, 2017 – Manager, Talent Acquisition & Development

Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback about our company! NSC offers many robust benefits and fun opportunities for networking, like our annual events and who doesn’t love free food! Our ... More

"Frightening what is going on here."

I have been working at National Student Clearinghouse full-time

Pros

Location, parking, benefits, teamwork, diversity.

Cons

I don't know what the goal is, but in the last year they have let go (or forced to leave) every manager who cared about the people. It started with our HR manager, and has not stopped. They are replacing caring and effective managers with cold and inexperienced people - some of them friends of the CEO. I am looking as are many others. It is shocking how much the culture has changed for the worse in a short time.

Advice to Management

Board of Directors wake up and talk to some people other than the CEO.

Mar 13, 2017 – Manager, Talent Acquisition & Development

Thank you for your feedback. The Clearinghouse encourages all its employees when we have an opening to see if they have acquaintances/referrals that can fill any job that has been posted. We look ... More

"Was great now average"

I have been working at National Student Clearinghouse full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Company has good health insurance, HSA, and dental benefits for you and your family. Personal and sick time off to use at your leisure. Great retirement savings account in vacation buyback plans. Most colleagues are great to be around. The company dinner and picnics are not the best but ok.

Cons

Many changes have occurred within the last five years. I have seen a lot of employees come and go. A few positions have been eliminated due to the constant changes. It's a little worrisome knowing my Jon could be gone one day to the next due to company cuts. We have a new management team across many departments.there is a trend of favoritism that seems to be encouraged by nepotism. There also is an "inner" group comprised of employees in leadership positions as well as regular workers. The company does a lot of promoting from within which doesn't allow new outside ideas to infiltrate and promote efficiency. When jobs post everyone seems to know who the position was created for before the official announcement is made. The selected candidate is usually someone that's personally affiliated with the hiring manager. This doesn't allow for equal career development opportunities for those outside the clique. Pessimistic chatter amongst coworkers has increased which I believe is due to leaders constantly engaging and provoking speculation between their employees. Overall, not the bad company, but not the best. We could do a lot better and there's plenty of room for improvement.

Advice to Management

It's not good practice to allow company leaders to fraternize with their subordinates. This creates many issues that were otherwise never arise. It yields a shadow of intimidation that impacts morale.

Mar 14, 2017 – Manager, Talent Acquisition & Development

Thank you for providing feedback as it is what makes our organization a better place. During this current fiscal year, several divisions have undergone and are still involved in the transformation of ... More

8. "StudentTracker Spotlight"

Current Employee - StudentTracker Coordinator in Herndon, VA
    Current Employee - StudentTracker Coordinator in Herndon, VA

I have been working at National Student Clearinghouse full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I have been with the company for 3 years now and have had a couple of bosses. Through all the moves I have respected my peers and my superiors. Recently StudentTracker has had some light shed upon it and I feel it is only fair to share another side of the story. I came to this department at a time when there was a lot of turnover. The staff welcomed me with open arms and assisted in helping with any questions I had. It's been over a year now and through all the aches and pains, the articles, and the new Executives we have persevered and came together as a stronger team. We had launched a new platform to ST for colleges and lent out staff to other departments. Through it all we continue to push forward, work harder, and come closer together! I am so proud of the work and my peers in that department as well as our Manager. We hold each up. I wouldn't want to work for any other company! The path we are on is paved with great intentions.

Cons

My advice is to trust management and do not be afraid to speak to them. We need more recognition and transparency.

Advice to Management

Recognize the successes and do not always wait. Sometimes waiting is the perception of not appreciating staff.

Feb 13, 2017 – Manager, Talent Acquisition & Development

Thank you for your feedback about the Clearinghouse. We value feedback from our employees and are happy to hear that you feel a strong sense of teamwork in the Student Tracker Operations area. We ... More

9. "Great company with great benefits"

I worked at National Student Clearinghouse full-time

Pros

fun staff and environment with great benefits and 401k

Cons

repetitive work at entry level

Jan 25, 2017 – Manager, Talent Acquisition & Development

Thank you for your feedback! NSC is glad to hear that you thought our culture and environment were fun and that you appreciated our benefit offerings! We strive to create an inviting culture, and our ... More

"Great sense of community, boring work"

Former Employee - Client Support Representative in Herndon, VA
    Former Employee - Client Support Representative in Herndon, VA

I worked at National Student Clearinghouse full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

- The location (Herndon, VA) is right by affordable apartments and traffic isn't too bad for NOVA
    - They internally promote so there's lots of opportunity for growth even without a degree
    - In customer service there's plenty of opportunity for overtime
    - There's a good amount of community, most people are very friendly

Cons

- The work (Client Support Rep) was deadly boring and consisted of a lot of data entry/email response
    - Many people work an early shift (7-4) and personally I hate mornings
    - No cell service in the building
    - Most customers hate dealing with NSC and frequently colleges use NSC as their whipping boy for transcript issues. Very frustrating getting screamed at for problems you have no power to fix.

Advice to Management

Allow employees more flexibility in responding for customers/explaining why their transcripts may be late! Relaxing rules for hand signatures would remove so many problems.

Dec 7, 2016 – Manager, Talent Acquisition & Development

Thank you for taking the time to provide this valuable feedback about your experience with the organization. NSC is a learning organization and accepts all feedback as an opportunity to learn from ... More