National Trust for Historic Preservation Reviews | Glassdoor

3.5
National Trust for Historic Preservation President & CEO Stephanie Meeks
Stephanie Meeks

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "A great place to work, but some changes could go a long way."

Former Employee - Manager in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Manager in Washington, DC

I worked at National Trust for Historic Preservation full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

I greatly enjoyed my time at the National Trust for Historic Preservation. The staff is overall extremely friendly, committed to teamwork, and inclusive. The office culture is great and the open office environment is conducive to collaboration and making friends. It's okay to make mistakes if you work to correct them and prevent recurrences.

For the most part there is very limited micromanagement, you're expected to get your work done and the rest is up to you. If you're in the right department you can create a lot of your own projects and work - even if you're not in middle/senior management.

You rarely need to worry about work when you're not in the office with the exception of a few busy times during the year: Conference, Capital Campaigns, Year-End Fundraising, etc.

Cons

Pay seemed to be a bit below average for mid-level employees but very high for senior management. This is obviously only a con for mid-levels.

Professional development opportunities are dependent on department and there is a lack of mobility for low to mid level employees with a few rare exceptions.

Staff time rarely considered when determining ROI on projects.

Advice to Management

Remember that starting a campaign isn't a victory, winning it is.

Focus on projects and campaigns that have definable timelines, victory conditions, and strong public appeal.

Be more vocal about campaign wins and losses and harness that momentum in subsequent projects.

2. "Work to do"

I have been working at National Trust for Historic Preservation full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Great mission. Offices around the country. Some very dedicated colleagues.

Cons

Like many non-profits, spread very thin. Has high turnover from burnout. Senior management exhibits poor vision and execution. Grasping to maintain relevance. Junior staff feel the burden of keeping machinery working with limited resources or assistance.

Advice to Management

Scale back. Scale back. Scale back. Hire more junior staff to get the work done.

3. "Great Organization"

Current Employee - Intern in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Intern in Washington, DC

I have been working at National Trust for Historic Preservation (Less than a year)

Pros

Everyone is very passionate and into their work

Cons

Long hours but good work too

4. "Lots of energy and passion"

Former Employee - Development in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Development in Washington, DC

I worked at National Trust for Historic Preservation full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I worked for the NTHP some years ago, just before they sold 1785 Mass Ave and moved to the Watergate. (The photos at the bottom of the profile page are no longer accurate!)

I have great memories of my time there - smart, passionate folks who were really committed to the stories told by old buildings and places.

Cons

The Trust is now located in the Watergate. The staff is smaller than in the "golden era" and there were rounds of layoffs after the market crash in 2008. Very few of the people I worked with are still on staff.

5. "Fun and easy place to work"

I have been working at National Trust for Historic Preservation part-time

Pros

Plenty of training, scheduling is easy, work is fun.

Cons

I can't think of any cons off the top of my head

Advice to Management

N/A

6. "Same old"

I worked at National Trust for Historic Preservation full-time

Pros

Good cause. Smart coworkers. Interesting office.

Cons

Bloated, upper management who spend more time thinking about their mission than actually preserving buildings.

Advice to Management

Self-cull.

"Ok place to work."

Current Employee - Senior Manager in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Senior Manager in Washington, DC

Pros

Flexibility, good co-workers, good mission.

Cons

Lack of leadership / vision from the executive level on down has led to low morale in some areas. Potential is there though.

8. "My view of the Trust"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

I have been working at National Trust for Historic Preservation full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I've been working at the Trust for about a year and a half and I love it. It's the best decision that I've made in a while. Everyone is hard working and they encourage excellence, but I don't feel over-burdened. The work/life balance is great and I actually like working with everyone here. I would strongly recommend.

Cons

Nothing that I can really think of. I've worked in other places and it was horrid, but the Trust is awesome.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work!

9. "Have always enjoyed my time at the National Trust"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

I have been working at National Trust for Historic Preservation full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Good people. Fair salaries. Great benefits, including 3.5 weeks vacation to start. Positive work environment at a great mission oriented organization.

Cons

None that I can think of.

"Not a great experience"

Pros

Decent pay, very good vacation benefits and 35 hour week, occasionally interesting work. Some very motivated and hard working staff.

Cons

Senior management is good at bad decision and implementation that affects the rest. Middle management is full of dead wood stuck in the weeds.

Advice to Management

Management: listen to staff, they probably know more than you do. Board: hold the CEO accountable for real results.