National Trust for Historic Preservation Reviews in Washington, DC | Glassdoor

Stephanie Meeks

1. "Great Organization"

Current Employee - Intern in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Intern in Washington, DC

I have been working at National Trust for Historic Preservation (Less than a year)

Pros

Everyone is very passionate and into their work

Cons

Long hours but good work too

2. "Lots of energy and passion"

Former Employee - Development in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Development in Washington, DC

I worked at National Trust for Historic Preservation full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I worked for the NTHP some years ago, just before they sold 1785 Mass Ave and moved to the Watergate. (The photos at the bottom of the profile page are no longer accurate!)

I have great memories of my time there - smart, passionate folks who were really committed to the stories told by old buildings and places.

Cons

The Trust is now located in the Watergate. The staff is smaller than in the "golden era" and there were rounds of layoffs after the market crash in 2008. Very few of the people I worked with are still on staff.

3. "Over-extended"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

I have been working at National Trust for Historic Preservation full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Modern, open new offices with great views.

Cons

Over-extended operations and over-worked staff. Take on too much and unable to manage commitments. Results in exhausted staff who run from one project to the next with limited support or vision. Horrible work/life balance. Regularly see staff crying during the work day out of frustration.

Advice to Management

Step back and recognize what staff are put through on a daily basis. Focus our energies and accept that we aren't a well-funded organization with unlimited resources or the systems and staff in place to work as hard or as much as we are asked to.

"Ok place to work."

Current Employee - Senior Manager in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Senior Manager in Washington, DC

I have been working at National Trust for Historic Preservation full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Flexibility, good co-workers, good mission.

Cons

Lack of leadership / vision from the executive level on down has led to low morale in some areas. Potential is there though.

5. "My view of the Trust"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

I have been working at National Trust for Historic Preservation full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I've been working at the Trust for about a year and a half and I love it. It's the best decision that I've made in a while. Everyone is hard working and they encourage excellence, but I don't feel over-burdened. The work/life balance is great and I actually like working with everyone here. I would strongly recommend.

Cons

Nothing that I can really think of. I've worked in other places and it was horrid, but the Trust is awesome.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work!

6. "Have always enjoyed my time at the National Trust"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

I have been working at National Trust for Historic Preservation full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Good people. Fair salaries. Great benefits, including 3.5 weeks vacation to start. Positive work environment at a great mission oriented organization.

Cons

None that I can think of.

"Great Organzation"

Former Employee - Program Manager in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Program Manager in Washington, DC

I worked at National Trust for Historic Preservation (More than 10 years)

Pros

Great people committed to the mission and work. Management handled a major overhaul of organization well. Good communication and change management. Very good at engaging employees in solutions

Cons

typical non-profit issues of scarce resources, but staff was good at making what was available work well.

Advice to Management

NA

8. "Editorial Intern – Amazing Non-Profit and TEam"

Current Employee - Editorial Intern in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Editorial Intern in Washington, DC

Pros

People, offices, location, mission, culture are all amazing. It's a place where people support each other and they promote positive working.

Cons

Pay, benefits, cubicles, but that's all pretty normal for a non-profit. If you're looking to make serious money, then go into finance. The National Trust's mission is admirable and they work very hard toward it.

9. "Good place to work but still needs fixing"

Former Employee - Programmer Analyst in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Programmer Analyst in Washington, DC

I worked at National Trust for Historic Preservation full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Mostly great people to work with. Truly dedicated to saving historic structures.

Cons

Low pay (expected). Clubby environment.

Advice to Management

Invest more in employees.

"Director"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

I have been working at National Trust for Historic Preservation full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Highly talented professional preservationists who are passionate about their work and wanting to make a difference.

Cons

No cost of living increases, only merit increases. So many management systems in place for work planning and budget planning that you spend all your time dealing with those plans and not actually saving places. Planning process, targets or systems are often changed without explanation that it isn't worth learning the current process because it will change before you figure out how to use the current one.

Advice to Management

What worked for The Nature Conservancy may not work for NTHP. There is a reason there is high turnover in some areas of top management of the organization. Pretty big sign that the best change might be to stop changing so often. Make sure the managers you hire know how to manage, if not train them because they need it. Promotion and job experience do not equate to a good manager.