National University Reviews | Glassdoor

Create your profile to get personalized information

National University Reviews

Updated 29 Nov 2019

2.5
National University CEO Dr. Michael R. Cunningham (no image)
Dr. Michael R. Cunningham
Pros
Cons
  • "Very low pay spread out over 8 weeks(in 37 reviews)

• "Non profit company which acts like profit company(in 16 reviews)

1. "Great benefits"

Current Employee - Postdoctoral Fellow in San Diego, CA

I have been working at National University full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great workplace, benefits, easy going and fun colleagues. Interesting work.

Cons

Salary to cost of living isn't comparable to other universities.

National University2019-10-05
  2. "Get a job somewhere else"

Former Employee - Employee

I worked at National University full-time

Pros

Some great people to work with

Cons

Toxic culture in upper management trickles down to different corners of this university. Staff members are overworked, underpaid and stiffed of raises (even living wage increases) as the University brags about fund raising successes.

National University2019-11-30

"Bad Pay and Bad Management"

Current Employee - Advisor

I have been working at National University full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

I had a good team and one location and an awful team at the next.

Cons

They stopped giving raises and they don't pay much to begin with. I made them millions in enrollments/tuition promising students that a college education could change their life, while they paid way less than the average college graduate.

Advice to Management

Listen to the ideas of your employees. So many initiatives from upper management were flawed because they had no idea what was happening on the ground floor.

National University2019-10-17
  4. "Run away as fast as you can"

Current Employee - Center Assistant

I have been working at National University full-time for less than a year

Pros

Honestly the only pro of working here that comes to mind is the free tuition. Besides that there isn't much else.

Cons

When I first started here, I thought the benefits and the work was amazing and I was treated well. But as soon as you hit 6 months and they know you're staying, their true colors come out. Every person in my office has quit due to the way NU treats us and I am close behind them. You can save up your vacation time, and they won't let you use it, you can have doctor's appointments and be very sick and they will either... not approve your sick time or punish you for taking off. They have reduced their employees down to robots and force them to do work that they aren't getting paid properly for. Also they don't care about students whatsoever. They discourage us from doing any type of retention and only show that they care for student's when they are thinking about enrolling. The second they have your money, they stop caring. If you're considering working for this university, I highly recommend you stay far away.

Advice to Management

Management needs to treat their employees like human beings and needs to realize that if you treat your employees terribly, they will quit.

National University2019-11-07
  5. "Great place to start career"

Former Employee - Admissions Advisor in San Diego, CA

I worked at National University full-time for more than a year

Pros

National University is a great place to start your career in higher education. Working with multiple student populations can be stressful, but rewarding.

Cons

Not enough management support

National University2019-09-27
  6. "Great perks for young adults"

Current Employee - Assistant to the Faculty in La Jolla, CA

I have been working at National University full-time for more than a year

Pros

free bachelors degree and only have to pay taxes on a masters degree

Cons

salary/ pay is low compared to other colleges

National University2019-08-29

"love the people, do not feel appreciated by the university"

Current Employee - Enrollment Advisor in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at National University full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Lower management (Center Directors) is great and cares for their employees, free tuition for employees and good benefits

Cons

I took a job here as an advisor to get my foot in the door, knowing that EVERY OTHER SCHOOL pays their advisors higher. The last few years they even took away raises and instead gave bonuses to a few people higher in the company. This year they gave raises back of a whole 1% and then a few days later asked us to donate money to the university. I am sorry but if I have a degree and am working full time and cannot... even afford an apartment on my own, I am certainly not donating any of my small paycheck back. They have even been having advisors work holidays and weekends. Any perks there were to being an advisor here are slowly being taken away. They have taken away any incentives or motivation for employees to try and work hard in their jobs.

Advice to Management

You need to start paying your lower employees a fair compensation and stop taking away our weekends and holidays. The only reason I am still here is because I love the people I work with at the campus.

National University2019-09-03
  8. "Downhill"

Former Employee - Former Employee

I worked at National University full-time for less than a year

Pros

Nice co-workers, 401K match, free education

Cons

The people at my campus were really nice, but upper management is a joke. There is little no no accountability. Some people have worked there so long that they do nothing all day and still get paid. Newer employees were the ones picking up the slack and bringing in all the numbers while those who had been there for many years sat around without being reprimanded for their bad performance month after month. Some... managers expect employees to be on time and at work daily while others let employees show up late or not at all without any consequences. They hired outreach staff who don't even bring in any students and get paid much more than other employees.

Advice to Management

Pay fair salary to employees doing the heavy lifting and hold everyone to the same standards. Stop looking the other way when you know there are employees who are not pulling their weight. Stop wasting company funds on outreach staff that have little to no experience and don't bring in any solid leads. When I left the company almost every employee was ready to find a new job. I would not be surprised if half of my... co-workers were gone by now. My best advise would be for upper management to take a hard look at who they are hiring and realize that these bad apples are making everyone else rethink working for you. There are people out there on salary with absolutely no set work schedules that make everyone else lose motivation. Why should hourly employees be held accountable for working 8 hours a day while others show up if and when they want?

National University2019-09-24
  9. "Good"

Former Employee - Admissions Advisor

I worked at National University full-time for more than a year

Pros

all good things at National

Cons

I could not say a bad thing

National University2019-07-24

"not good with pay"

Current Employee - IT Analyst in San Diego, CA

I have been working at National University full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Great team to work with, makes you feel like family

Cons

Does not pay real wages, no real opportunity to get a raise, everyone didn’t get an increase in 2018, this year we all received 1 percent

Advice to Management

Sorry, have to leave to feed family :(

National University2019-08-06