Nationstar Mortgage Reviews | Glassdoor

Nationstar Mortgage Reviews

Updated September 18, 2017

Full-timePart-time

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • So, employees can maintain a good work-life balance (in 22 reviews)

• The company is growing and changing the way the industry is perceived and how we treat customers (in 19 reviews)

Cons
  • Poor Treatment/Nonexistent Presence from Upper Management (in 54 reviews)

• Poor work life balance; most groups are under staffed for required work load (in 14 reviews)

"Enjoy Coming to Work & Believe in my company!"

I have been working at Nationstar Mortgage full-time

Pros

- I really enjoy my direct manager and the leadership team that I work for. I feel supported in my career goals and like my manager is as invested in my growth as I am.
    - I like the people I work with. I work in a role that offers me a lot of opportunity to work cross-functionally in the organization and I always run into engaged, dedicated, and friendly people.

Cons

When you work for a large company, the cons are usually that politics can arise and that communication sometimes gets muddled on the way down the chain. Nationstar leaders work hard to avoid this and we all appreciate the employee town halls where our executive leaders give us a clear and honest picture of the business.

Advice to Management

Keep up the efforts to become a people company and to enliven Mr. Cooper. Keep "straight talk" as much of an internal priority as an external one. Tell your employees as often as possible where we'r'e going, what's going well, and even what's not. Transparency is prized - and I know it's hard to achieve in a big company - which is why hiring decisions around your line level managers and AVP's are so important. Hire for leadership skills - they can always learn the job function later! When you have great managers, you have happy employees.

Nationstar Mortgage Response

Sep 5, 2017 – EVP, Chief Human Resource Officer

Thank you for your input and acknowledgement on the team member engagement and communications front. We will continue to make this a top priority with town halls, small group meetings and things... More

2. "Foreclosure Manager"

Former Employee - Foreclosure Manager in Lewisville, TX
    Former Employee - Foreclosure Manager in Lewisville, TX

I worked at Nationstar Mortgage full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I had some excellent bosses who invested in me.
    High emphasis on training.

Cons

Upper management seems disengaged.
    Company does not value employee recognition, which leads to issues in retention.
    Not competitive salaries for middle management.

Advice to Management

Show the employees you appreciate them.

"Positioned for tremendous growth"

Current Employee - Senior Recruiter in Coppell, TX
    Current Employee - Senior Recruiter in Coppell, TX

I have been working at Nationstar Mortgage full-time (More than a year)

Pros

flexible work/life balance, caring culture, room to grow. There is a cultural shift and investment at Nationstar that will really be a game changer for the industry.

Cons

company claims to be very transparent and have an "open door policy" but this some times is not the case.

Advice to Management

Keep pushing the "people company" and really encourage transparency and clear communication with your team.

4. "Oversight Specialist"

I worked at Nationstar Mortgage full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Bi-weekly Pay, Company events, Volunteer opportunities

Cons

No bonus or overtime opportunities, minimal promotions

5. "Loss Mitigation Specialist"

I worked at Nationstar Mortgage full-time

Pros

I enjoyed working with people, and made some good friends in the process.

Cons

Upper Management changes constantly and extreme micro management.

Advice to Management

Listen to your employees more.

6. "UNORGANIZED ORGANIZATION"

Former Employee - Financial Specialist in Irving, TX
    Former Employee - Financial Specialist in Irving, TX

I worked at Nationstar Mortgage full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I'll get back to you

Cons

Poor management, poor training of employees

Advice to Management

Get on the same page

7. "A lot of lip service"

I have been working at Nationstar Mortgage full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Some of the people here are really great to work with. Made some good "work" friends. Have started allowing some workers the opportunity to work from home, if can meet departmental set criteria. Each department different however.

Cons

Talented people are getting overlooked for their contributions in favor of the "favorites" of the senior management. Workload is not equitably applied across all team members at same levels. Lack of real advancement opportunities in many departments, especially the corporate area. Multiple layoffs this year alone has left many with feelings of vulnerability and demoralized attitude, even at the officer level. Continued lack of reasonable raises yearly and bonus structure that is cut down to a target percentage...plus a general disregard for management to really discuss opportunities for more training, betterment of employee work etc, no wonder losing your best workers to other companies.

Advice to Management

Stop playing favorites and actually assign work equitably. Recognize your workers appropriately [applause cards, yammer notes, earned points, higher bonus, higher raises etc]. During annual reviews be open to talking to your people and stop rating as only "performer" to meet some bell curve for the company.

"Loan Processor"

Former Employee - Loan Processor in Irving, TX
    Former Employee - Loan Processor in Irving, TX

I worked at Nationstar Mortgage full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great pay structure, excellent communication from management regarding expectations on quotas, and phenomenal opportunity to move up within the company. The benefits are extremely attractive (health care, 401K, etc)

Cons

Was laid off from Nationstar due to a "Reduction in Force" after 6 months of employment. First in, first out. Nothing personal, just business as usual.

"Great environment for hard working folks"

Former Employee - Senior Vice President Marketing in Lewisville, TX
    Former Employee - Senior Vice President Marketing in Lewisville, TX

I worked at Nationstar Mortgage full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

An environment where people are rewarded for their hard work and contributions to the bottom line profitability of the company. During my years there, I was able to be innovative and get a great deal accomplished.

Cons

Some internal politics, who you knew, determined promotions and other opportunities.

Advice to Management

Listen to all levels of management for advice and ideas to improve processes and ways to better serve customers.

10. "Heartless"

Former Employee - Mortgage Loan Processor in Chandler, AZ
    Former Employee - Mortgage Loan Processor in Chandler, AZ

I worked at Nationstar Mortgage full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Excellent training and support staff

Cons

I was hired with a large group of people, but once out of training there were no files to process. When I did finally receive files to process, there was such a small product pool of mortgage options it was nearly impossible to get a loan through to closing. After 5 months it was announced that our division was being sold, but not to worry because we were all being hired on by the new company. That turned out to be untrue. I received a phone call at home and was laid off the day after Thanksgiving.

Advice to Management

Be honest with your employees, respect them and treat them like people, not just a number.