Nationwide Building Society Reviews in United Kingdom | Glassdoor

1.0
Nationwide Building Society Chief Executive Joe Garner
Joe Garner

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Work life balance is considerably better than at competitors (in 28 reviews)

• Great people, great place to work (in 15 reviews)

Cons
  • Senior management tend to try to do too much to the detriment of the work (in 18 reviews)

• Head office is based in Swindon (in 13 reviews)

1. ".."

Current Employee - Service Consultant in Wakefield, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Service Consultant in Wakefield, England (UK)

I have been working at Nationwide Building Society full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Wage.
    Looks good on CV.
    Easy area to get to.

Cons

Management need a shuffle around.
    No support when you need help.
    Found training to be very boring and nothing stuck with me when going live on the phones.
    Not many people are left from the team I trained with and that is simply because call centre work is hard and difficult to get accustomed to!

Advice to Management

Be more supportive

"Bullying Culture"

Former Employee - Procurement in Swindon, Gloucestershire, South West England, England (UK)

Pros

Always well paid jobs available, good gym facility, canteen and internal training.

Cons

The majority of people are bullied. Before I was bullied I felt sad to see so many of my colleagues being bullied and then I became a target myself, I put up with it for a long time. It all started about 5 years ago when a new Executive Director started and felt NBS had too many coasting employees but it's gone way too far. I've stayed in touch and nothing has changed since I left. If I hear it's changed I'll update this review.

I was based at the head office but I know that even retail have been affected.

It's sad that a mutual society that is intended for the greater good of the community is behaving in this way.

Advice to Management

Listen to people on both sides, don't rely on what you're told.

"Blame culture is rife - not a good place to work if you care about what you do"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Swindon, Wiltshire, South West England, England (UK)

I worked at Nationwide Building Society full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Salary is ok, but really not worth the grief you have to accept to earn it.

Cons

I have worked in the financial and technology industry my entire career (20 years+) and have never experienced such a disorganised, inefficient, risky way of working. On top of this, the bullying and blame culture is beyond belief - I have witnessed behaviours that have led to individuals not being able to perform, taking lengthy periods of absence and even resigning with no other job to go to, just to get away from the awful 'deliver at all costs' culture at Nationwide.
    For an organisation that shouts about the way it values its people, this stinks - it is up to you whether you believe this, but if you care about what you do and how you do it, do yourself a favour and look elsewhere - you'll be better for it.

"Just awful an place"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bedford, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bedford, England (UK)

Pros

I honestly don't think I can think of any

Cons

For a start the management just pressurised and bullies you. Your self esteem is crushed by them. So much for a no sale company when management forces you to sell to vulnerable people and elderly who don't know half the time what their almost getting forced into just to make the branches figures look good.

Advice to Management

Improve your work ethics as they are an absolute shambles. Treat your staff like human beings

5. "Enterprise architect"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Swindon, Wiltshire, South West England, England (UK)

Pros

Nice head office good in house facilities

Cons

Chaos poor management , not what you know but who cronyism rife

Advice to Management

Clear out old guard middle managment

"Underwriting in Bournemouth - Not a good place to be!"

Former Employee - Mortgage Underwriter in Bournemouth, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Mortgage Underwriter in Bournemouth, England (UK)

I worked at Nationwide Building Society full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Beautiful offices in Bournemouth
    Decent salary
    Working hours 35 per week (slightly less than other companies)
    Good training
    Community initiatives - many volunteering opportunities

Cons

No work life balance
    Very stressful environment and no support from managers
    Employees treated like nothing, no consideration given to anything they have to say or feel
    If any negative feedback was expressed, manager would pull employer to a meeting to say negativity will not be tolerated
    High turnaround of people
    No progression
    Same roles in Swindon Head Office paid at much more money - issue raised with HR and Union and swept under the carpet
    Incompetent team and operations managers

Advice to Management

This is not a XIX century slabe house - start treating people with respect

"A highly unpleasant experience in an unprofessional environment"

Former Employee - Operations Performance Manager in Swindon, Wiltshire, South West England, England (UK)

I worked at Nationwide Building Society full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The pay is very good, with a good benefits package and flexible working hours. The head office has good welfare facilities.

Cons

I worked within Group Commercial Management, which had an extremely unpleasant senior management team who actively bullied those staff not within the 'in crowd'. The department had no strategy, plan or direction, simply blundering from crisis to crisis and the middle management/team members received the blame for senior managers' failings. A toxic management culture of backstabbing and hidden agendas.

Advice to Management

Try to learn how a team works and the part you should play within it. Try to develop some positive leadership skills. Create a plan and focus on what needs to be done.

"Horrible place to work for little money..."

Former Employee - PMO Support Officer in Swindon, Wiltshire, South West England, England (UK)

Pros

Free drinks, and nice facilities...

Cons

Overworked with heavy workloads, you are given a laptop and expected to use it at home if your workload is not completed during 'office hours'.

Bullying occurred and witnessed first hand, no wonder the staff turnover rate is so high! I'm not sure how this employer was voted as one of the top ten companies to work for in the UK.

Car parking was a complete joke, overflow was the best option.

"Avoid - The worst place I have ever worked."

Current Employee - Project Manager in Swindon, Wiltshire, South West England, England (UK)

I have been working at Nationwide Building Society full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Salaries are good for Swindon area.
    Benefits seem to be good.
    Flexible working including working from home one day/wk including contractors.

Cons

Zero support from management.
    Management who have been promoted due to length of service and not skills or management experience.
    Lots of contractors who are driven to deliver and do not have time to hand over projects or help other employees.
    Poor management.
    No HR - can only speak to HR via e-mail and telephone.
    Management gang up against any criticism or improvement idea.
    Old fashioned way of working.
    Delivery is slow and not focused.
    Very risk adverse - painfully slow to change.
    Subcontracted most of the jobs out to TCS and IBM (offshore) so communications is an issue. Most meetings done over the phone - which is not ideal.

Advice to Management

Wake up and come and see how badly DCs are run. No wonder all projects are so late and cost so much to implement.
    Third party companies are fed up supporting NBS.
    There is little knowledge or understanding of our systems in house and we are totally reliant on third party to tell us what connects to what or how things work.
    The TCS and IBM, and NBS partnership is less than effective and is a total drain on resources.
    TCS and IBM staff are treated badly and unfairly.
    Permanent employees are at a disadvantage over Contractors.
    Too many politics and not enough work.
    Lots of dead wood at the top, who are only there as they have been at NBS for a long time. They don't have any skills or management qualifications.

"Aggressive HQ Environment"

Former Contractor - IT Contractor in Swindon, Wiltshire, South West England, England (UK)

I worked at Nationwide Building Society as a contractor (Less than a year)

Pros

It's a job for life if you're a permanent employee who can cope with aggressive managers (or you're an aggressive manager looking for a home).

The rates for IT contractors are quite good because they find it hard to recruit.

Cons

- Senior management often delegate to very aggressive middle managers who don't have the skills or in some cases the experience to do their job.
    - Being part of the right clique is more important than delivery in terms of getting recognised.
    - Their 'PRIDE' mantra is mostly a box ticking exercise and has little substance on a day to day basis.
    - Over reliance on back office teams to mask the lack of proper IT capability.
    - Has a bit of a reputation as being somewhere IT contractors would rather not work because it's quite a chaotic and bullying culture. Because they don't have enough good contractors senior mgmt resort to employing firms of consultants who are great at managing upwards, but haven't really the experience to get the job done on the ground. They tend to bumble their way through, de-scope as much as possible, deliver late and over budget and completely burn out their team and then make out they've delivered a shining success at the end.

Advice to Management

Look for examples of high staff turnover as an indicator of where changes need to be made.