Nationwide Building Society Reviews in United Kingdom | Glassdoor

2.0
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Nationwide Building Society Chief Executive Joe Garner
Joe Garner

Pros
  • Work life balance is considerably better than at competitors (in 25 reviews)

• Great people, great place to work (in 13 reviews)

Cons
  • Middle management seen to be scared of senior management (in 17 reviews)

• Head office is based in Swindon (in 11 reviews)

"Poor management!"

Current Employee - Customer Representative in Birmingham, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Customer Representative in Birmingham, England (UK)

I have been working at Nationwide Building Society full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Bi-yearly, performance based, bonuses

Focus on training

Cons

High focus on sales and targets, despite no mention of such in training and interviews

No concern from management for holiday allocation

Expected to stay a lot later than working hours

Can expect you to travel to distant branches for cover

Advice to Management

Listen to the opinions of your staff and stop focusing all your energy on targets!

"I tried, I really did"

Former Employee - Project Manager in Swindon, Wiltshire, South West England, England (UK)

I worked at Nationwide Building Society full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Lovely people, nice premises OK salary

Genuinely care about members, just not great at protecting their money..

Cons

Parking is a pain unless you're an early bird. Work is a little dull, but the worst thing is the total lack of process, unforgivable in this industry. Middle management seen to be scared of senior management.

Knowledge is power is the prevailing attitude so don't expect much help. New starters are ignored and left to struggle.. Difficult with the lack of process.

I lasted just over a year, others I started with lasted less..

Advice to Management

Your middle management layer needs some serious consideration

3. "No support"

Former Employee - Customer Service Manager in Nuneaton, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Customer Service Manager in Nuneaton, England (UK)

I worked at Nationwide Building Society full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Benefits are good, reduced fees on current account, preferential savings rates, pay ok, career progression, plenty of training courses, working conditions ok

Cons

No support from management. Monthly appraisals, extreme sales targets, bullying from management to accomplish targets. Staff shortages, trying to claim back your days off in lieu,

Advice to Management

Know what your middle managers are up to, especially the DM's, they think they can get away with their bullying

"Bully culture"

Former Employee - Customer Representative in Mold, Wales (UK)
    Former Employee - Customer Representative in Mold, Wales (UK)

Pros

The only thing that made it bearable was the team that I worked with, bar the manager. The technology they're investing and the money to improve branches was good.

Cons

Bullied out of the company of your face doesn't fit or you dare to question authority. Wages really do not reflect workload or stress levels. Management in fear or their managers and do not stand by anyone lower than them.

Advice to Management

Grow backbones, stand by what is right! Inconsistent rule changing and then punishment for getting it wrong is unfair.

"Mortgage Underwriter"

Current Employee - Mortgage Underwriter in Bournemouth, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Mortgage Underwriter in Bournemouth, England (UK)

I have been working at Nationwide Building Society full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Nobody will pressure you to excel or progress in the company if you are not an achiever

Cons

The company has limited progression for employees who have worked hard for the company for years.
    Their is no progression no training to help future CV for promotions which you will have to interview for despite your hard work which does not actually play into promotion process.
    Higher management have no idea what the employee does and how they do it.

"Over worked with poor pay"

Current Employee - Analyst in Swindon, Wiltshire, South West England, England (UK)

I have been working at Nationwide Building Society full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good pensions scheme, good bunch of people to work with. Good balance of doing what's right for the customer and organisation

Cons

Work ridiculously long hours just to prove yourself to be worthy of a 'met' come annual reviews. Lack of respect and spoken down to by managers. Unrealistic expectations associated with internal promotions, which when eventually do take place result in extremely poor uplift in pay (a lot more responsibility for an extra 1/2k a year) - internal promotions can only been ungraded to lowest pay bracket for new position despite experience/capability!

8. "Not as great as people think"

Former Employee - Caseowner in Bournemouth, England (UK)

I worked at Nationwide Building Society full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The Bournemouth branch has has the offices re-fitted. Free tea/coffee machine. Managers seem to be pro-active against bullies if you report them.

Cons

Feeling the culture of referring to Underwriters is very much like pupil/teacher relationship and some underwriters thrive on it.

All tasks are timed...you are efficiency and quality checked...a lot.

Under Once you leave training it seems hard to get any real help.

Advice to Management

Free up more training staff to constructively help those which this job doesnt come easy. I could have become fully competant if only staff could have the time to properly look at my work and advise me where I waqs going wrong and how to rectify. yes, we got a quality check sheet but no-one took the time to show me what I was doing wrong and critically how to improve...only when i was warned i may lose my job did the manager say...what have you(me) done to help myself....the onus was always us and not what the frim was doing to help us improve.......give us ideas from day one how or what tools we can use to help. I came up with a series of templates with tick boxes to check I had done various tasks...they had the cheek to copy it and give it to other caseowners then sack me...95% efficiency every day is crazy...very few people knew how to calculate further advance product changes...even my manager said he couldnt do it...what chance did I have...there was no training on this.

"Unsociable thankless job"

Current Employee - Customer Service Agent in Swindon, Wiltshire, South West England, England (UK)

I have been working at Nationwide Building Society full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The people you work with are often kind but that's really luck more than anything if you get people in your team you work well with.

Cons

The hours are bad, they're very unsociable and even if you do know them 12 weeks in advance if you're working poor hours that doesn't make much time for anything else, having to work almost every weekend as well as late shifts up until 10pm most of the time. They're under staffed and very pushy when it comes to over time almost to a very rude point. The pay is very bad for what you'll be doing as it is a thankless job especially working in the call centres. You are monitored on things that are most of the time out of your control and they affect your bonuses. Over all I would consider looking else where as you can probably get the same job with better hours and pay else where. Also if they temp you with career breaks and say you can return to work 90% of these are turned down due to the fact they're so busy because they're incapable of keeping any staff longer than a month

"Caseowner"

I worked at Nationwide Building Society full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The people on my team are amazing and my manager was very supportive and really fought our corner when times were tough.

Cons

The pay is quite poor in relation to how much you are expected to do and know and depending on how busy your team is, opportunities to progress are quite limited.

Advice to Management

Review the pay and progression opportunities for entry level roles to avoid such high turnover within these teams. Although my team were a feeder to the rest of the business and we were often told how great and important we were in driving the business forward, the pay and working conditions were not reflective of that.

"It's not about what you know"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Swindon, Wiltshire, South West England, England (UK)

I worked at Nationwide Building Society full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

A financial institution with good reputation. The pleasure to work with some lovely, caring people who forms the minority amongst the 10k+ employees.

Cons

Brought in a load of senior managers who has no people skills nor management skills. The organisation became management heavy leaving only a few people to deliver the work. The citizenship agenda is driven by stats and there's too much of it. Progression and promotion is available to those whose face fit the place. It is an organisation that's great at looking at the next best thing without finishing any of the current initiatives. The pay is low, benefits are poor and hard work isn't rewarded. Management don't listen nor value recommendations they think they know it all.

Advice to Management

Remember people are your biggest assets. Review competency of management and the manager to staff ratio. Ensure face fitting doesn't become the norm for recognising performance and promoting staff. People set a company up for success recruiting managers from failed financial institutions may not be a wise decision.