Nationwide Building Society Reviews in United Kingdom | Glassdoor

3.7
Nationwide Building Society Chief Executive Joe Garner
Joe Garner

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Work life balance is considerably better than at competitors (in 28 reviews)

• Great people, great place to work (in 15 reviews)

Cons
  • Senior management tend to try to do too much to the detriment of the work (in 18 reviews)

• Head office is based in Swindon (in 13 reviews)

"Quite Unimpressed with the overall morale in the workplace"

Current Employee - Analyst in Swindon, Gloucestershire, South West England, England (UK)

I have been working at Nationwide Building Society part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Job security. Other than that it is difficult to say.

Cons

lack of transparence in peer salaries and poor skills/job matrix

Advice to Management

Get to understand the skills of your employee and match them to the right jobs

2. "I was trained briefly by Nationwide"

Former Contractor - Case Owner in Bournemouth, England (UK)
    Former Contractor - Case Owner in Bournemouth, England (UK)

I worked at Nationwide Building Society as a contractor (Less than a year)

Pros

Difficult to assess this as I was released on day one with my post training 'team'. I was informed that the work was not for me by a rather nasty manager. I subsequently joined Barclays and love it.

Cons

Very narrow minded management stifles any actual talent or ability.

Advice to Management

Give people a chance! Why train someone for nearly 5 weeks only to release them at a days notice.

3. "Shambles"

Former Employee - Customer Service Consultant in Swindon, Wiltshire, South West England, England (UK)

I worked at Nationwide Building Society full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great company to work for when you look at it from a "benefits for working at NBS" . pension policy is great, you can purchase extra holiday, medical help, union (legal help included), e.t.c

Cons

you have to literally brown nose to get anywhere in NBS. You are treated as a number and will never be recognised for any hard work you put in. sure... they do give you random certificates (that are printed on standard a4 printer paper, signed by the head of department & then laminated to make it look fancy when its not), but they dont mean anything, you dont get any self satisfaction or even new responsibilities or ventures within you job roll once you have been given that certificate. To add insult to injury this "AMAZING" certificate is then handed to you by your line manager while your working & that's it.

Another really bad thing is that there is a massive gap between management and lower level employees... its almost like a snobbish/look down on people culture that most management adopt!

Advice to Management

recognise people for the hard work they do and promote people on the fact that they work hard & not because they brown nose you!

"old school BS, struggling to be a bank"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Swindon, Wiltshire, South West England, England (UK)

I have been working at Nationwide Building Society full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

well known name in FS, rather stable organisation

Cons

they claim to be pride, but it is only a façade. Back-stabbing is a very popular sport, but few will admit it.
    low salaries, no training opportunity and old-fashion way of working. obsolete IT systems and cahotic environment. Too hierarchical organisation dows not help inner communication.

Advice to Management

start acting in alignment to your pride values.

"Great start, however awful ending"

Former Employee - Administrative Assistant in Swindon, Wiltshire, South West England, England (UK)

Pros

- Great company to start with, very big name and seemingly professional.
    - Salary is great (now matches the living wage) for a first job.
    - If you can get a permanent job then you end up entitled to an awful lot of benefits.

Cons

- Temporary workers are treated as waste & disposable by certain departments.
    - Certain senior managers have absolute no level of professionalism and will treat their staff like the scum of society. Hopefully you don't end up working for them!
    - Little support for temporary workers who wish to make complaints... you almost can't.
    - IT issues are a daily occurrence, some departments still using windows XP!?
    - Unrealistic target setting in some teams.

Advice to Management

Sort our senior management. Some of yours have been some of the most unprofessional, bad mouthing, authoritarian people I have ever met in life.

Actually try to care about temporary workers, a lot of them are just shoved aside like trash.

"Not the company you'd expect it to be"

Current Employee - Area Manager in London, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Area Manager in London, England (UK)

I have been working at Nationwide Building Society full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great business
    Some really great people at ground level and branch teams
    Community Ethos

Cons

Extremely hierachal structure where feedback is not taken on board by senior management
    There is a culture of bullying amongst some of the senior retail managers that has been left unchecked, the area in a which I work at a middle management level is particularly effected by this. Senior Management seem unable to deal with people that go beyond what is deemed as acceptable behaviour when they are senior/executive level
    Projects are not delivered well and often behind schedule.

Advice to Management

Review your management structure and truly ask yourself - do we really take feedback on board?
    Pride values are a long way from reality.

"Poor"

Former Employee - Branch Banking in London, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Branch Banking in London, England (UK)

I worked at Nationwide Building Society full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

None. At all.
    None. At all.
    Sadly a twenty word minimum for this section.

Cons

Poor salary. Every year they stand over you to complete a positive employee survey.
    Management is trained poorly so inconsistent decision making.
    A culture of firefighting rather than fire prevention.

Advice to Management

Train people better. Read 'the peter principle'

"Worst company I have ever worked for"

Former Employee - Complaints Handler in Dunfermline, Scotland (UK)
    Former Employee - Complaints Handler in Dunfermline, Scotland (UK)

Pros

the only good thing about Nationwide is the people I worked with were nice

Cons

from the outset there is no proper training provided. I spent 3 weeks playing games then there was no support offered when training was finished. I spent 9 years working for another bank and the lack of policies and procedure astounded me. Quite often I would have a simply question and no one would no the answer or where to find it. People crying was a daily occurrence and the levels of sickness were shocking. Nationwide place no value on their staff and this reflects in the high level of staff turnover. Not only would I not recommend anyone work for Nationwide, after seeing the way they conduct their business I would never recommend anyone bank with them either. The word that I hear most to sum up Nationwide is 'shambles'

Advice to Management

place more value in staff, set up proper training, stop allowing management to bully their staff, outline policy and procedures in a clear way like every single other bank does so there are no grey areas and staff and customers being told different information. Call centre managers are also not qualified to help their staff as the don't know how to deal with customers. The entire organisation needs an overhaul

"If you are after progression avoid like the plague"

Former Employee - Customer Service Consultant in Dunfermline, Scotland (UK)
    Former Employee - Customer Service Consultant in Dunfermline, Scotland (UK)

I worked at Nationwide Building Society (Less than a year)

Pros

One hour for lunch, dress down Fridays, do not need to wear a tie, quarterly bonus - thats about it really as the pros are minimal in my opinion.

Cons

Overly obsessed on stats, you feel like you are plugged into a wall, if you gain too much experience in the call centre you get blocked from progressing elsewhere in the company as they cannot afford to lose you off of the battery hen line that more often than not queues 40-100+ calls for most of the day. The company faster payments in/out system is more down than up and leads to very nasty customers on a frequent basis. An awful call scoring feedback system from customers where even if you have the best call ever it can lead to you getting a loss of bonus if said customer on a scoring feedback only gives you a 4 out of 5. A very high amount of backstabbing and a severe blame game mentality with a nasty system called "Consultant Feedback" forms where other employees can report on your faults to your manager which again can affect bonus. Some of the feedbacks are over the top and childish. The higher management are very untrustworthy and are not supportive at all of anyone attempting progression when they have been long term members of staff looking to escalate. Also managers can live call dip your calls without your knowledge and then serve to give you (more often that not) highly non-constructive feedback in a very unpleasant and overly critical way. I will not miss working for this company - it was a backwards step in my career and I would advise anyone to avoid working for them in their call centre like the plague.

Advice to Management

Make service tracker a more fairer scoring system and do away with the snitching consultant feedback forms - they are just purely nasty and serve no other purpose other than to knock already worn down consultants even further. Also treat your staff better like human beings and not staff numbers. The senior Swindon management might also want to wonder why so many longer term staff are leaving the Dunfermline call centre of late.

"Too much to do for extremely poor pay and benefits"

Former Employee - Personal Banking Manager in London, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Personal Banking Manager in London, England (UK)

Pros

Full time steady job not a career

Cons

Extreme pressure to hit outcomes (another word for targets) and there are too many so called norms to hit, making it impossible to get a Met Objective which would have allowed you to get a very low bonus. Too much is expected of all the roles and if you are to progress you will need to work unpaid on your own time and is encouraged unofficially to squeeze more out of you. The management is top down and no consultation is made at the grass root levels.

Advice to Management

Kindly stop encouraging the managers to complete or to sit with the employees while they complete the annual viewpoint surveys if you really would like some honest feedback. Send out communication with strict guidelines on how to complete this if you are not completing this to enhance your reputation and just as a exercise to inflate your own egos.